Who Owns the Des Moines Market ISU or Iowa (Iowa says they do)

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I see so much Iowa State stuff taking over the Twin Cities, it's quite impressive actually.
To me, ISU is clearly number 3 here and the gap to 4 is pretty significant. FWIW, I'd say Iowa, Nebbie and NDSU would be battling for number 4. I'm not counting the D3 schools but St Thomas and St Johns have pretty big followings too.

I really think Hoiberg has something to do with this. He was so well-liked in Minnesota. Especially when people realized that he bought a cabin Up North just like their families had.

Also, the realization that, if your kid doesn't want to go to or can't get into MN or Wisconsin, there is a pretty affordable, top-of-the-line engineering school just to the south helped.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
When I started at ISU in '97 we were barely winning the "gear battle" in ISU's dorm rooms and now it looks like a coin flip in Des Moines. It's pretty obvious ISU will have a majority of the market within a few years if they don't already.

More alumni, best basketball program in state for over 2 decades, and less horrible stretches in football have done it. A few huge years of success in football will probably make it a clear edge for a generation or two, or the coach or two after KF being a disaster. Either or on that.
Please let one of these be BF!

• Funny
Reactions: cyfan21

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I don't think bill Fennelly coachs anywhere else.
brett-favre-jeans.gif

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
When the local TV channels came out of Omaha and that was all they ever talked about, since there is nothing else to cheer for in that state. I grew in western Iowa. They literally shoved Nebraska down your throat.

That's called Stockholm Syndrome. I know my family all despises Nebraska because of the Omaha media. And it gets a little worse each year.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
I usually stay out of these in-state arguments but thought I would throw this out there. Which of these 30 schools is not like the others (Hint: One of them only had 7 wins over the previous 3 seasons). I think there are still more Iowa fans in the Des Moines area but that gap is narrowing quickly.

DVwya6AWsAEb50_.jpg:large

I think a state with a population barely over 3M having two teams in the top 28 in attendance is pretty solid.

Reactions: cyfan21

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron