Cyclones picked 6th by NBC Sports

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Notable that Travis Hines wrote the article for NBCSports. He has consistently, and perhaps rightfully, acknowledged the talent infusion ISU has had but cautious to see it it play out before predicting it'll result in a bunch of wins. Seems like a safe prediction for Hines (and he won't be called a "homer" reporter") with a 6th place finish.

While 6th feels low I think 6 or 7 B12 teams will make the tourney so this solid safe rebound. Personally I see 6th as the floor for the Cyclones this year and would predict a 4th place finish behind KU/KSU/WV.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyclones12321

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It's more respect than almost every Hoiberg team that was picked 8th every year and finished 2nd-4th every year.

• Agree
Reactions: 4theCYcle

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Notable that Travis Hines wrote the article for NBCSports. He has consistently, and perhaps rightfully, acknowledged the talent infusion ISU has had but cautious to see it it play out before predicting it'll result in a bunch of wins. Seems like a safe prediction for Hines (and he won't be called a "homer" reporter") with a 6th place finish.

While 6th feels low I think 6 or 7 B12 teams will make the tourney so this solid safe rebound. Personally I see 6th as the floor for the Cyclones this year and would predict a 4th place finish behind KU/KSU/WV.

You'll never have to worry about Hines coming off as a homer. Love or hate the guy he is pretty good at what he does though

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006

I don't know Hines and sometimes he comes off poor on radio (I would come off awful). I think he is one of the premier basketball writers out there right now- anywhere. I like his work more than Dauster and Rothstein's and I like their work a great deal. I realize that they are doing national work but the contributions that Hines makes to NBC are really solid. We are lucky to have him here even if we don't like everything he says.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I don't know Hines and sometimes he comes off poor on radio (I would come off awful). I think he is one of the premier basketball writers out there right now- anywhere. I like his work more than Dauster and Rothstein's and I like their work a great deal. I realize that they are doing national work but the contributions that Hines makes to NBC are really solid. We are lucky to have him here even if we don't like everything he says.

Totally agree that Hines is fair and is far from a homer to ISU. Sorry if my original post came across as a criticism. Travis is fair and willing to share his true evaluation of the Cyclones and all the team nationally. He obviously watches a lot of game and has the pulse for the college scene (and the NBA). I meant if he would have picked them third he could get flamed from other fan bases because he works for the Ames Tribune.

Reactions: Land Shark

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I think he's a Wisconsin grad isn't he? I don't know, he's not as smart as he thinks he is but Fred and his staff loved him because he's the best we have

I believe Hines from the Twin Cities area, but went to Wisconsin. Though I haven't really heard him have any fandom for the Badgers in either Football or Basketball.

Anyways, enough about the writer let's get back to the 6th place finish and Lard not being noted in the top 10 notable players.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I think he's a Wisconsin grad isn't he? I don't know, he's not as smart as he thinks he is but Fred and his staff loved him because he's the best we have
35546125001_4601723090001_4601680825001-vs.jpg

(completely kidding obviously)