NBA: Official Thread -- Cyclones in the NBA & G-League 2018-19

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Last night, Deonte Burton played 15 minutes in the Thunder's pre-season game vs. the ATL Hawks. He had 9 pts on 4-7 shooting but had a rather un-Monte-like 5 TOs and no assists.

Abdel Nader still hasn't played for the Thunder in pre-season while he gets healthy. Russell Westbrook didn't play last night for OKC so ... samesies :)

Side note: Andre Roberson had a set back in his rehab and is out another 2 months and Terrence Ferguson is out with a concussion. Both are wings OKC would have had slotted at the wing position in front Nader and Burton. Could help their chances.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24896434/thunder-andre-roberson-miss-two-more-months-knee-setback

Reactions: Doc

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
https://www.denverstiffs.com/2018/1...os-angeles-lakers-perth-wildcats-lebron-james

Podcast on the nuggets. A lot of Monte praise around minute 37. Basically credits Monte with making their bench look so good in the preseason. They also think he needs minutes even when IT comes back.
I didn't have time to listen to the whole thing so thanks for the tip on the 37th minute. They really sing his praises and, as you say, believe that he's making the whole 2nd unit look better in pre-season.

I'm excited to see how his season goes for Monte. I have to wonder, though, how much they will play IT and him together. Offensively, that might work but on the defensive side, you wonder if that would create too many match-up issues with 6'5" #2s.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I didn't have time to listen to the whole thing so thanks for the tip on the 37th minute. They really sing his praises and, as you say, believe that he's making the whole 2nd unit look better in pre-season.

I'm excited to see how his season goes for Monte. I have to wonder, though, how much they will play IT and him together. Offensively, that might work but on the defensive side, you wonder if that would create too many match-up issues with 6'5" #2s.

IT and Monte really can’t play together. Monte will have to take the backseat if Thomas is even 90% of what he was.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
11 in OT? Not bad for a 2-way guy

He was pretty quiet on offense during regulation, really wasn't moving much TBH, but then got a big dunk with about 20 seconds left in regulation and went bananas in OT. Actually the guy he was guarding hit a 3 about 5 ft behind the line to start OT and I think that lit a fire. Had a tip dunk and then 3 - 3's. I think 2 of them may have been back to back.

Reactions: Doc

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
IT and Monte really can’t play together. Monte will have to take the backseat if Thomas is even 90% of what he was.
Yeah, you may be right. The guys on the podcast speculate about it though. I don't know that they "can't" but I imagine that there just aren't enough minutes to go around. Monte is really taking advantage of his opportunities and showing his value (G-League, summer league, training camp and pre-season). Hopefully, that continues in the regular season while IT is still recovering.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
In the Nuggets' pre-season game against the Clippers, the starters all played 12 minutes. Monte played 24 minutes, had 14 points (5-11, 2-4 from 3), 6 assists and 2 TOs. This is what NuggLove wrote about him afterward:

Monte Morris: Shooting well and playing Denver’s true point when Jokic rests. This kid looks like a legitimate second point guard not just a Las Vegas League favorite. This kid can play point guard at an NBA level. (https://nugglove.com/2018/10/10/denver-nuggets-takeaways-clippers-preseason/).

That game is going to be on NBA TV again today (WED) at noon ET / 11 am CT.

Reactions: Cyclonepride