Gametime with UNLV Football

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
This was the title of the show I watched last night on the Mountain West channel on 616 Directv. I just figured that I would mention a few points I saw on it for anyone interested. It reminded me a lot of the Gene Chizik show on Sunday nights where they review the previous game and look at the next opponent. First they went over some plays against ASU. The UNLV freshman WR I believe caught an unbelievable one handed ball in the corner of the end zone on one play. I really noticed how UNLV was in the backfield on all plays they showed and seemed to have a great pass rush. Whether that means ASU can't block or UNLV has some horses I don't know. The blocked field goal at the end had even less blocking. They were talking with the coach and he was telling people about his strategy of offense with no huddle where it keeps the defense in their stance and the main offensive players look to the sidelines with 10 seconds left to get the play. He thinks it puts defenses on their heels and works to their advantage.

ISU will not be surprised by this huh?

The RB does make me nervous as he is quick and stocky and was right up the middle on a bunch of plays. He was not side stepping or making moves, but more just holes opening up and quick moves right up the middle and carrying guys for more yards.

They also talked about the former games and mentioned that ISU only won by a controversial call at the end of the game. I don't know what is controversial about catching the ball out of bounds.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
From my vantage point in the student section for that game, I could plainly see the white chalk from the out-of-bounds line fly into the air as the receiver's foot came down. And then Sanford had his meltdown and his players started stomping on our logo in protest.

I really hope we beat the tar out of UNLV this time around so there is no controversy.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
From my vantage point in the student section for that game, I could plainly see the white chalk from the out-of-bounds line fly into the air as the receiver's foot came down. And then Sanford had his meltdown and his players started stomping on our logo in protest.

I really hope we beat the tar out of UNLV this time around so there is no controversy.

Amen. :chatterbox:

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I really noticed how UNLV was in the backfield on all plays they showed and seemed to have a great pass rush. Whether that means ASU can't block or UNLV has some horses I don't know. The blocked field goal at the end had even less blocking.

The RB does make me nervous as he is quick and stocky and was right up the middle on a bunch of plays. He was not side stepping or making moves, but more just holes opening up and quick moves right up the middle and carrying guys for more yards.

I was watching the game replay last night and most of the plays I saw the d-line wasn't doing to much ( I think this was in the 2nd quarter) The only time they had penetration was when they had 4 lineman and 2 LB's at the line and stopped a draw play for a loss. What ASU was doing on that field goal I am not sure, it seems like they just let him up the middle without trying to block.

I am a little worried about the RB, especially with the way our run D has been.

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
I was watching what they chose for highlights also so you could be right on the D line. I hope we have a good game plan for the RB. The QB seemed to underthrow balls that the WR's came back on and got with little resistance. I have more faith in our corners.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
If they are still talking about this "controversial call" from two years ago, then this guy has problems. There was nothing controversial about it except for the meltdown afterwards.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I must be in the wrong thread. I was trying to talk football. This appears to be a complaining about a team's coach that lost to us thread. My mistake. Carry on.

lynaskin

Sep 16, 2008
As a UNLV Fan, I agree with you, there was nothing controversial about the call. Sanford's tirade after the call however was another story. . . off the charts crazy. :eek: (However on the show, I think it was the announcer that said it was controversial, not the coach.)

They've been playing the UNLV/ASU game all week on the fox sports channels. You might still have a chance to catch it before the weekend. The also have a show called Sundevil Rewind that goes over the game from an ASU perspective. It's a good watch too. It airs again on Friday.

Our offense (the no huddle, then look to the sidelines), is painful to watch. It really messes with the flow of the game. I didn't realize it was by design, because it's hard to watch. I drove me crazy all night. Somehow it kept ASU off balance all night. I'm sure your coaches will talk about it in detail.

Frank "The Tank" is a load. He's considered by many one of the toughest guys in the conference. Seeing him come around the corner gets old real fast for a db. (I'm sure all db's hate seeing a rb come round the corner with a full head of steam) ASU kept him in check for most of the first half. I think he had something like 6 or 7 yards in the first half on 5 or 6 carries. 2nd Half was a different story. He started rolling and went over 100 yds in the 2nd half. He gets a lot of buzz and is fun to watch. He truly looks like he's having fun out there. He loves the game. Win or Lose, I think you'll appreciate his game.

The freshman WR you talked about is Phillip Payne. He has been an amazing surprise. 3 games, 4 TD's. It's weird, because we have two really good other wideouts in Wolfe and Flair, but when we get in the redzone it's been Payne. Last year, we were the worst in the conference in redzone percentage at 26 for 37. (15 td, 11fg) This year through three games we're 10 for 10 (7td, 3fg, tied for first in the nation). Payne has been huge.

There is a good picture of "the catch" here:
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/1029db2c-6ded-4ff5-85bf-0907ab91bdfd.jpg

What amazed me most about the ASU game was that when we got down 20-10 in the 3rd, we didnt' stop playing. That has plagued our team for what seems like decades. It looked to me like ASU could have torched our secondary any time they wanted to. But they didn't. Their 2 TD's were 20+ and 40+ yards.

I can probably speak for most Rebel fans when I say that I'm not sure if that game was a fluke or not. . Have we turned the proverbial corner? I think we're gonna find out one way or the other this weekend.

One of you guys feel like coming over to rebel-net.com and giving us an overview of your team? There are a pretty good group of guys that post there (some real a-holes too, but what board doesn't have those!)

Here's to a great, injury free game! Have a blast in Vegas. I moved away from there 5 years ago, and I miss it.

L.A.

Last edited:
Reactions: CY ST8T

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX

I would be happy with any victory. Let's steal one on the road and get out of there.

rebelx

Sep 15, 2008
That was just ridiculus. I don't know how that could have been an in bound catch. UNLV will be all fired up though - this is probably a tougher opponent for us than Iowa.

In the "Gametime with UNLV Football" show after that ISU game, Sanford said it was the right call and he just had bad information from his booth. He said, though (and I'm certainly not excusing him, and he felt foolish about it as well), is the refs didn't handle the situation per protocol and it just had a weird feeling to it like they just didn't want to do their job the right way because it was just UNLV.

He didn't handle it right, and the coaching staff needed to control the players better. The disrespect toward ISU was not warranted, and the coaching staff let the players know afterward. Its just one of those things that was a huge learning experience for this, at the time, brand new coach and his staff. The disrespect stuff was also embarassing to all connected with UNLV from players to coaches to fans.....it was a lack of discipline and the head coach was fueling the fire.

To be quite honest, I thought at the time that ISU would cancel their game here. I'm glad, as most here are, that its way in the past.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
...is the refs didn't handle the situation per protocol and it just had a weird feeling to it like they just didn't want to do their job the right way because it was just UNLV.

The officials for that game were from the Mountain West. Standard operating procedure to have officials from the road team's conference.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron