Parenting Tip of the Day

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I got this as an email forward, and felt that it was one of the few that was worth paying attention to:

Tough Love vs. Spanking - Good Argument

Most of the American populace thinks it improper to spank children, so I
have tried other methods to control my kids when they have one of
'those moments.'

One that I found effective is for me to just take the child for a car
ride and talk.

Some say it's the vibration from the car, others say it's the time away
from any distractions such as TV, Video Games, Computer, IPod, etc.

Either way, my kids usually calm down and stop misbehaving after our car
ride together. Eye to eye contact helps a lot too.

I've included a photo below of one of my sessions with my son, in
case you would like to use the technique.

This works with grandchildren, nieces, and nephews as well.

20071206-toughLove.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: thunderdave

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Fix the pic, im dying to see the punchline!

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Hilarious. I was getting my big arguement all ready to go until I saw the pic.

I was ready to tell you how I was whooping my kids butts when you were driving around wasting gas. I was going to call you a non enviromentalist. I was also going to say a lot of other things. Good joke though.

ia8manfan

Apr 12, 2006
Philadelphia
I'm glad fewer and fewer parents are spanking their children now-a-days. Kids are so much more behaved and better understand discipline now more than ever!

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
My daughter wouldn't get ready for school once when she was pretty young. I told her I was leaving without her then and drove around the block. She was crying when I got back (not my intent...tough kid usually) but I'll be damned if it didn't work like a freaking charm. I felt like crap but I'm sorry, without repercussions kids will do whatever the hell they want.

I hate to see kids get yelled at to stop something and they keep doing it because all the parent does is keep griping about it. Make it hell on the kid if they don't stop. They'll remember. I don't mean spanking ether but I'm not against it.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
My daughter wouldn't get ready for school once when she was pretty young. I told her I was leaving without her then and drove around the block. She was crying when I got back (not my intent...tough kid usually) but I'll be damned if it didn't work like a freaking charm. I felt like crap but I'm sorry, without repercussions kids will do whatever the hell they want.

I hate to see kids get yelled at to stop something and they keep doing it because all the parent does is keep griping about it. Make it hell on the kid if they don't stop. They'll remember. I don't mean spanking ether but I'm not against it.

They need a parent first and friend second. Sometimes you just have to be tough no matter how hard it is to do it. Kids will walk all over you if dont curb the bad behavior. It breaks my heart to hear my kids cry but an hour later its like it never happened. They are tough little beings. I try to be firm but fair and follow it up by asking them if they know why they were punished, that way I know it got through.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Kids are so much more behaved and better understand discipline now more than ever!

Than ever? My goodness. I never heard of violence and school shootings and teen pregnancy while I was growing up. And in the seventies we were looked at like we were crazy, out of control kids compared to my parents generation. I guess there isn't a good way to tell how kids of the fifties would compare to the nineties, but look at movies that were considered popular for the times. I know it's not a good judge, but you could find a classic movie like Swiss Family Robinson compared with any family movie today. I'm not saying the movie quality is better, but just look at the way the kids behave. Which was the point of your quote I believe.

What could you be basing behavior characteristics? I can't stand taking my well-behaved, very loving 5 year old to a public play area in the mall, or to a restaurant. He doesn't understand why kids are screaming in his ear, talking back to his Mom and/or Dad.

If you were being sarcastic, sorry. :eek:

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Than ever? My goodness. I never heard of violence and school shootings and teen pregnancy while I was growing up. And in the seventies we were looked at like we were crazy, out of control kids compared to my parents generation. I guess there isn't a good way to tell how kids of the fifties would compare to the nineties, but look at movies that were considered popular for the times. I know it's not a good judge, but you could find a classic movie like Swiss Family Robinson compared with any family movie today. I'm not saying the movie quality is better, but just look at the way the kids behave. Which was the point of your quote I believe.

What could you be basing behavior characteristics? I can't stand taking my well-behaved, very loving 5 year old to a public play area in the mall, or to a restaurant. He doesn't understand why kids are screaming in his ear, talking back to his Mom and/or Dad.

If you were being sarcastic, sorry. :eek:

Pretty sure he was. That's how I interpreted it, anyway.

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
My brothers and I were spanked growing up - i don't particularly remember any particular spanking i recieved. However, I do remember the moment where I had graduated from 'boyhood' to 'manhood.' I was probably...8 or 9. (haha). Standing outside of church no less, and i had been pestering my brother or something. My father, quite perturbed, beckoned me to his side. I knew i was in a great deal of trouble, and thought i was about to be spanked and how embarrassing it would be (I probably hadn't been spanked for years). Instead, my father gently turned me, and then 'punched' me right in the shoulder. Didn't hurt, probably wasn't even a real punch. Just enough to make me realize i was old enough to know better, and he expected more of me. Quite effective. Never needed to be physically disciplined again. :)

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I got the wooden spoon! Not all of the time, but when it was wooden spoon time, I knew I had hit rock bottom. Wont ever use anything buy my hand for my kids and its rare that I do anyway.

ia8manfan

Apr 12, 2006
Philadelphia
I got the wooden spoon! Not all of the time, but when it was wooden spoon time, I knew I had hit rock bottom. Wont ever use anything buy my hand for my kids and its rare that I do anyway.

Ha, I got this too! In fact, mom broke one off my bare *** once. I thought it was funny so she got another spoon out and I got it again.