The Lowdown on UNLV's stunning upset of ASU

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneFanatik

Sep 10, 2008
Here is the skinny on UNLV's stunning upset of Arizona State.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]ASU coach Dennis Erickson called the game a nightmare. "It's
sickening," he said. "It starts with me. I didn't have them ready to
play. I'll take the blame."

UNLV RB Frank Summers, a bowling ball of a tailback, ran through
defenders all night surpassing 100 yards. Clearly, UNLV players took
pleasure in ruining ASU's fantasy season.
[/FONT]

UNLV Stuns Arizona State

JHpsyclonz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa City
Their RB sunds like Shonn Greene. Atleast the field won't be wet this time around.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
Their RB sunds like Shonn Greene. Atleast the field won't be wet this time around.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would rather have a wet field. I think the wet field helped us a ton against Greene. He's not a juke and jive guy, but he couldn't keep his footing during his cutbacks that appeared to be open for some room.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
That wet field just about tackled Shonn as much as we did.

I agree - and disagree at the same time. :smile:

The wet field also meant that our defenders didn't have the ability to fill those open gaps quickly. Wet conditions were also at least partly responsible for his long run where he broke to the outside since our guys basically slipped off of him when he shifted directions.

There were also a couple of times where our corners blitzed and Stansi ran right around them because they couldn't quickly change directions when he broke out of the pocket.

I'm just sayin' that the wet conditions changed the way the game was played for all of the players on the field.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'm still waiting for the "lowdown". A back rushing for a hundred yards does not spell "upset". There's far more to it than that.

yannballer

Feb 21, 2007
Rochester, MN
I watched this game last saturday night. They have a pretty athletic qb and hard nosed runner, that is all I remember. I was pretty sauced up by the time this one ended. Obviously this wont be an easy game. They've already played 2 ranked teams and upset one of them. So they will have a great deal of confidence going into this game. I still expect our guys to leave Vegas 3-1!

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I've said it before, Arizona State and overrated go together like peanut butter and jelly. UNLV will be tough, but it's not like they're suddenly 1-2 touchdowns better overnight.

BloomingtonCY

Apr 10, 2006
The QB for UNLV (Omar Clayton) played for Normal Community High School in Bloomington Illinois where I now live. They were ranked #1 in the state in their class, went undefeated, and won the state championship his senior year. I watched him play all that year and the kid knows how to win. He makes good decisions (obviously still making good ones today with 6 tds and no INT's so far) and can beat you with his feet. My understanding is nobody recruited him very hard because they thought he was too small to play QB. If ISU has problems with mobile QB's, he may be a problem for them too. Hope I am wrong.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
The QB for UNLV (Omar Clayton) played for Normal Community High School in Bloomington Illinois where I now live. They were ranked #1 in the state in their class, went undefeated, and won the state championship his senior year. I watched him play all that year and the kid knows how to win. .

Wow, that sounds like pretty good credentials. Did he get any / a lot of BCS scholly offers? Not to downgrade UNLV, but it would seem a bigger conference would have come calling.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Wow, that sounds like pretty good credentials. Did he get any / a lot of BCS scholly offers? Not to downgrade UNLV, but it would seem a bigger conference would have come calling.

He walked on to UNLV

BloomingtonCY

Apr 10, 2006
I don't know what scholarship offers he had (if any) and not even sure how he ended up at UNLV as a walkon. He was one exciting player to watch though in high school. Hope he doesn't create any excitement this weekend.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
ASU looking ahead to playing Georgia this weekend maybe?

That's kind of what I was thinking. ASU was looking past them and got punched in the mouth. And, they are usually overated. I don't think that a big physical RB and an athletic QB are going to surprise ISU much...they've seen both of those already.