Power ranking week 4 is tougher ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
  1. WVU - defense better than Boomer
  2. OU - see #1
  3. Texas - surprised me
  4. TCU - still solid
  5. TxT - Kliff for the long-term
  6. ISU - close both directions
  7. oSu - got poked
  8. BU - B12 win
  9. K-State - shambles
  10. Ku - late night

Last edited:

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
5-7 you could throw up in the air to determine the order. TxT teams have faded bad once they get past 5-6 games due to lack of depth on defense...look for that to happen again. I wouldn't read too much into OU's close call since Army plays a unique offense that you only have a week to prepare for, but OU's defense is not good. WV looks great right now, but this may be the worst KSU defense in the past 20 years...and KU...back to reality their "big win" Rutgers got *itchslapped by Buffalo.

Hey BIG...how about those NY TV viewers that you added with Rutgers? Nice of you to give $50M a year to them...down right neighborly of you.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Observations after three games.

ISU's defense will keep us in games. However, offensive struggles continue and they won't be able to hold up their end of the deal. Like last year, ISU will have a lot of close losses, just more losses.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The Big 12 looks weak IMO. Unless OU or WVU runs the table I don’t see any one making the playoffs. TTU was dismantled by Ole Miss. Texas beat by Maryland... those games won’t help us. Alabama looks unstoppable.

Alabama and Ohio State throwing the ball accurately is not good for the rest of CFB.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The Big 12 looks weak IMO. Unless OU or WVU runs the table I don’t see any one making the playoffs. TTU was dismantled by Ole Miss. Texas beat by Maryland... those games won’t help us. Alabama looks unstoppable.
A lot of times the media has Alabama love. This year's team has earned it. They look incredible.

• Agree
Reactions: wclarson

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If you're playing the transitive property based on first and second game outcomes, everyone outside of Bama and UGa look weak imo.

UT looked better against TCU than OSU. Will Maryland win the BIG? BYU beat Wisconsin in Madison.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The Texas loss will be forgotten if its their only one, its Texas. They are a lock as a 1 loss league champ. Especially with a pretty solid non con schedule.

• Disagree

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

Definitely was not a good weekend for the Big 12's playoff chances. The conference needs its frontrunners to remain unbeaten and climb the rankings, so the late-season matchups are high profile and nationally relevant.

West Virginia looks really good. Grier is the real deal. I wasn't buying their preseason hype, but looks like I could be wrong.

If it comes down to OU and WV, I'd like to see WV win the conference.

The Big 12 has depth, but that's the kiss of death if you're trying to make the playoff.

• Agree
Reactions: surly

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
OU
WV
TX
TCU
Tech
Okie State
ISU
KState/Baylor
Kansas

Okie State is rebuilding but I don’t know if I’ve seen enough yet from us to pencil in a W in Stillwater.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
It’s a down year for the Big 12... I don’t really care what happens to other teams .... I’m still banking on ISU running he table and if that kills the playoff chances of WVU than so be it...

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It’s a down year for the Big 12... I don’t really care what happens to other teams .... I’m still banking on ISU running he table and if that kills the playoff chances of WVU than so be it...
Most expected a down year for the B12, due in part to a passing league breaking in a lot of new QBs. However, in reality the conference has held up pretty well. When you get past looking how many good teams the 14 team leagues vs. a 10 team Big12 have, and getting fooled by teams having good wins in-conference, you see that the Big 12 has held up OK in a year most expected to be down. Not that it is everything, but here's where Sagarin ranks conferences at this point. Yes, it's early, but a vast majority of games are going to be conference games, so other than movement due to inter-division conference games, don't expect it to change a ton until bowls and playoff.

upload_2018-9-25_12-19-8.png

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Bevo will limp out of the Little Apple with a loss. The Vampire will not go easily into the night.

• Disagree

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Most expected a down year for the B12, due in part to a passing league breaking in a lot of new QBs. However, in reality the conference has held up pretty well. When you get past looking how many good teams the 14 team leagues vs. a 10 team Big12 have, and getting fooled by teams having good wins in-conference, you see that the Big 12 has held up OK in a year most expected to be down. Not that it is everything, but here's where Sagarin ranks conferences at this point. Yes, it's early, but a vast majority of games are going to be conference games, so other than movement due to inter-division conference games, don't expect it to change a ton until bowls and playoff.

View attachment 58340

Obviously the sample size with computer rankings is limited, though we should have something like 30% of the season in the calculations now.

Other sources concur with Sagarin on the Big 12 looking strong...

upload_2018-9-25_16-43-58.png

Second (though only an inch in front of the Big Ten) is not bad for a "down year." We should make fun of the Pac-12 if we want to make fun of a P5 conference.

Their top few teams are alright (Stanford, UW, etc.), but the bottom of their conference has some absolute hosers like UCLA and Oregon State right now.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Bevo will limp out of the Little Apple with a loss. The Vampire will not go easily into the night.

I haven't seen anything this year that would convince me that K-State is going to beat UT. Vampire or no Vampire, K-State just doesn't seem to have the chemistry this year.