Matt Thomas - Spanish League's 3pt contest winner (video)

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Tired of concerns over David Montgomery's health and ISU's offensive line? Today the Spanish league had its opening celebration for the season (Some teams are competing in a pre-season "SuperCup"). Anyway, Matt had been selected to be in the 3-point contest and, well, he responded in a Matty Ice kind of way. This is his first round match-up; good heavens this man can shoot the rock.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Here's Matt's semi-final match-up:

And check out how he crushes the final rack (he needed to beat 23 makes; at one point he drained 10 in a row). They said he had the highest point total - over 3 rounds -in the history of the contest in Spain (not sure how many years they've had it):

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I love his team's tweets - they had flames for the number of makes. Or points. Something like that.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Nice human touches here. Matt's win took place in Santiago de Compostela, where he played last year. His former team tweeted their best wishes and have pics of him seeing all of his old teammates.

Reactions: Acylum and LindenCy

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Tired of concerns over David Montgomery's health and ISU's offensive line? Today the Spanish league had its opening celebration for the season (Some teams are competing in a pre-season "SuperCup"). Anyway, Matt had been selected to be in the 3-point contest and, well, he responded in a Matty Ice kind of way. This is his first round match-up; good heavens this man can shoot the rock.

27 puntos sounds like a lot. Maybe it's metric? :)

He'll always be a favorite...

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Still one of the purest strokes I've ever seen. When he was locked in you were surprised when he missed. Doesn't look like that's changed.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
No disrespect to Naz, but Matt should have been the one to go to the College 3 Point contest. Especially with the way he was shooting his senior year (45% from 3).

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Still one of the purest strokes I've ever seen. When he was locked in you were surprised when he missed. Doesn't look like that's changed.
Agreed. I showed shots of his form to kids that I was coaching - his technique is flawless. He hit 14 of 16 in his final 2 NBA Summer League ga.mes. Hitting 14 of 16 from NBA distance in an empty gym is impressive; imagine doing it against professional BB players.

He's going to play in international European competition (Eurocup) the next 2 years - that's a very high level. I wonder if he'll make a run at the NBA then.

• Agree
Reactions: ca4cy

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Agreed. I showed shots of his form to kids that I was coaching - his technique is flawless. He hit 14 of 16 in his final 2 NBA Summer League ga.mes. Hitting 14 of 16 from NBA distance in an empty gym is impressive; imagine doing it against professional BB players.

He's going to play in international European competition (Eurocup) the next 2 years - that's a very high level. I wonder if he'll make a run at the NBA then.

I'm far from an expert on NBA ops but he seems like the kind of guy that could be veteran sharpshooter for a team some day.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Disappointed that he left 10 of 90 points on the table. Only batting .889. Time to get back in the gym, Matty.

<jimlad>

His missed shots are actually to blame for Iowa State's football win Saturday.

Because all these years later, there's still a way to put it all on Matt Thomas.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
His missed shots are actually to blame for Iowa State's football win Saturday.

Because all these years later, there's still a way to put it all on Matt Thomas.
Actually, I have it on good authority that Campbell opted to take the 3 pointers instead of 6 so many times Saturday as a tribute to Thomas.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron