Iowa Hot Take: Big 10 Contraction

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
https://www.goiowaawesome.com/the-big-ten/2018/09/3108/the-big-ten-needs-to-contract

As much as I hate to agree with anything from TOE, it actually makes a ton of sense. Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland have been awful in conference play and dead weight to BTN in the era of cord cutting. It instantly stabilizes the Big 12 (regardless of what happens to Nebraska) as any further discussion of Texas and Oklahoma joining the Big 10 (particularly by radio people here in Detroit) are dead on the vine and sends the message that further conference expansion isn’t necessarily wanted. And while I’m neutral on readmitting Nebraska into the Big 12, they’re one of the few schools that actually makes sense.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
https://www.goiowaawesome.com/the-big-ten/2018/09/3108/the-big-ten-needs-to-contract

As much as I hate to agree with anything from TOE, it actually makes a ton of sense. Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland have been awful in conference play and dead weight to BTN in the era of cord cutting. It instantly stabilizes the Big 12 (regardless of what happens to Nebraska) as any further discussion of Texas and Oklahoma joining the Big 10 (particularly by radio people here in Detroit) are dead on the vine and sends the message that further conference expansion isn’t necessarily wanted. And while I’m neutral on readmitting Nebraska into the Big 12, they’re one of the few schools that actually makes sense.
Huck the Fuskers. Give us CU and Mizzou back please.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

Nebraska isn't the problem. I had no problem with that addition. Rutgers and Maryland made no sense whatsoever. Hate they added those two schools.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I really hope this ends up in some general reorganization into regional conferences. I am glad the era of trying to be geographically diffuse and parked on top of population centers for cable money, even if completely disinterested in your product (e.g., New York for Rutgers and Washington, DC for Maryland), goes away, never to come back.

Geographic compactness should rule the roost again by that point, and actual attendance by your actual fan base, where Iowa State should do well.

Last edited:

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
As to the topic. The hit on reputation, decades long, is why this will never happen with the B10 initiating.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Does Iowa, MN, Purdue, Indiana, etc have any more potential value to the Big 10 than Nebrasky?

Agreed. Iowa likes to relish that they are in the B1G, but they mean as much to that conference as we mean to the Big 12.

B1G is not going to give up on Nebraska. Didn't they overlook that they were not AAU (which they subsequently got certified before losing it again).

Rutgers was a dismal add except for NJ/NY TV market.

• Disagree
Reactions: benjimill

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
New user name, same material.

giphy.webp

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
@Sigmapolis here, reporting live from the newest front in the troll wars.

Seems we are up to a new front a day!

Later, I'll have exclusive interview with Supreme Cyclone Commander @CyTwins.

First question --

Is it hard being as awesome as you?

Reactions: CascadeClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron