No TD's in 10 Quarters.....

AustinCyclone

Nov 17, 2006
Austin, TX
Last TD against Iowa was a Meyer run in the closing minutes of the second quarter in 06....

That's 10 straight quarters with no TD's. Sickening:confused:

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
I think that's a misleading statistic. We still won last year, didn't we? Did what we needed to do to win. Unfortunately this year, we didn't.

I'd be much more worried if we hadn't scored a touchdown in the last 10 consecutive quarters against all of our opponents rather than just one opponent spread over the last three years.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Who are we playing this week???? I thought the Rebels:confused:

Sad we haven't scored in that long, but hey, new week and a new opponent. Not really concerned about this until next year now. Unless Norm Parker is defensive coach of UNLV and KU and so on and so on.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
This offense needs a deep threat or big play option. We're going to stall out on way too many drives if it continues to take us 3 plays to go exactly 10 yards every time. We won't be able to complete 15 play, 70 yard drives very consistently.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Thats it. I want to go into the wonderful field of stat keeping. Its amazing what people keep track of. What was the average length of grass on the field in the last 5 meetings with Iowa. I need to know.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Whether a lot of you want to blow it off or not, it is a relevant stat. Especially in the 4 quarters we couldn't score one this past weekend. That said, I would rather put it behind us for now and focus on UNLV.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Whether a lot of you want to blow it off or not, it is a relevant stat. Especially in the 4 quarters we couldn't score one this past weekend. That said, I would rather put it behind us for now and focus on UNLV.

I don't think I'd call it relevant - aside from, as you mentioned, the most recent 4. The preceeding 6 are ancient history and aren't relevant to anything except to annoy us in our rivaly.

FWIW - this season, we've scored 9 TDs in our last 10 quarters.

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006

I could not disagree more. If the stat was that the 'Clones haven't scored a TD in the last 10 quarters this season, then you'd be on to something.

The Cyclones have scored plenty this season with the lone exception of 1 game.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006

Sure it's relevant. Of course it would be better if we could score touchdowns, but we're looking at a stat against one opponent over the last three years. Back in the days when we only cared about beating that one opponent, it might have been more significant. We had a bad game against Iowa this year, no doubt. But it's time to move on and figure out what we're going to do about our next opponent.

Here's another statistic: After three games last year, we had three touchdowns and were 1-2. This year, we have 11 touchdowns and are 2-1. While the Iowa game was a step back, overall this year we've taken many more steps forward.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I could not disagree more. If the stat was that the 'Clones haven't scored a TD in the last 10 quarters this season, then you'd be on to something.

The Cyclones have scored plenty this season with the lone exception of 1 game.

I would say that about half of that stat is relevant. We scored no TD's against a BCS opponent and had the ball in the 30 like 6 times.

And that 1 game has been a third of our season. We should never go 4 straight quarters without a TD. The only time I might let that slide is against a top 5 team.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I would say that about half of that stat is relevant. We scored no TD's against a BCS opponent and had the ball in the 30 like 6 times.

And that 1 game has been a third of our season. We should never go 4 straight quarters without a TD. The only time I might let that slide is against a top 5 team.

Let's keep a little perspective. I'm upset as anyone we had 3 trips to the red-zone and scored zilch.

But it was our first road game of the year - in an extremely "unfriendly" environment.

Many of our skill players are very young with minimal starting experience - if not very little outright college experience. As is a large part of our battery on special teams.

The field conditions were terrible for offense.

We should note that our oppenent only managed a single drive that resulted in 6 pts as well.

Last edited:

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006
We should stay positive.

We're 1 of only 66 teams from a BCS conference still playing for a bowl game...:confused:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Wow - one loss - and a loss that most sane fans expected (to some degree anyway), and people are already panicking and trying to spread their fears by bringing up meaningless statistics to rationalize their fears. So we haven't scored a TD against Iowa in 10 quarters. Big deal - it doesn't mean anything until September '09.

Guess what? We lost - get over it. It's time to focus on this weekend and UNLV.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL

Yup! Sucks losing to rivals that we have to hear from all year round, but until one of the ISU engineers figures out the finer points of the flux capacitor, theres no do overs. So lets worry about the team giving UNLV their best.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
I think it is a completely relevant stat, and reason to be a little concerned for the rest of the season. Not necessarily the six quarters vs iowa that preceded the four on Saturday. But, the fact that we were in the red zone, or within a few yards of the red zone several times and only got 3 points out of it. Our play calling was crap, and we could not get a play called in 40 seconds WAY too many times down there.

And, frankly, it was the difference between a W and a L. Last year vs iowa, we were just fortunate that we made the field goals that we missed on Saturday. Or we'd be looking at 3 losses in a row vs iowa.

Now, I agree that the iowa game is over and we're on to UNLV. But, if we don't solve our red zone and FG issues, we're in big trouble...

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Wow - one loss - and a loss that most sane fans expected (to some degree anyway), and people are already panicking and trying to spread their fears by bringing up meaningless statistics to rationalize their fears. So we haven't scored a TD against Iowa in 10 quarters. Big deal - it doesn't mean anything until September '09.

Post-mortems after a loss to your biggest rival happen with every fan base. Big deal - it doesn't matter to the football players. We as fans have no impact on the team's mind-set, whether we "panic" or not. For us to "focus" on UNLV is also irrelevant - we're just spectators!

Reactions: ajk4st8

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I suppose you can be selective, and complain about the ten quarters against Iowa. However, does anyone care to count just how many players on the field this Saturday were on the field against Iowa two years ago? And what kind of a percentage, especially minute-wise, that might be?

More relevant, I think, is what this team did the eight quarters before Iowa. Can anyone tell me...did we score any touchdowns in that period?

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
More relevant, I think, is what this team did the eight quarters before Iowa. Can anyone tell me...did we score any touchdowns in that period?

I think their point is who cares how much you can score against I-AA and MAC teams if you can't score when the big game comes.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think their point is who cares how much you can score against I-AA and MAC teams if you can't score when the big game comes.

And my point was that the current players had little or nothing to do with the previous six quarters. :biggrin:

Help Support Us

Become a patron