Why I am most upset about this loss.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Of course its the whole rivalry thing, but mostly I'm upset because this is one of the few games of the year that I fully expect to win every single year. I was quite upset last year when we lost to Kent St, Toledo, and UNI, because I expected to win those games. This year, I honestly expected to beat Iowa. This isn't to say I expect to lose any game, but there are the games you expect to win, and those you know you know are toss-ups or it would be considered an upset or whatever.

You see, I'm 29 years old, and my first year of college (1998) was the year we snapped the 15 year losing streak. Of course I remember from my childhood the Hayden era where they owned us, but since I have been an "adult", we have controlled this series. Because of this, I expect to beat Iowa more than any other team we play regularly.

To explain my thoughts, here is our record since 1998 against teams we've played more than once or twice (not including this year):

Iowa 7-3
Texas Tech 1-5
Texas 0-5
Missouri 5-5
Kansas St 3-7
Oklahoma 0-5
Nebraska 2-8
Colorado 3-7
Kansas 5-5
Baylor 3-1
Okla St 3-1
Texas A&M 1-3
UNI 4-1

So, excluding yearly changes (which are obviously very important), I expect to do well against Iowa, as we have beat them the most since 1998. We've also done well against Baylor, Ok St, UNI, Kansas, and Missouri.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
To go with your point, Iowa was one of the easiest games left on ISU's schedule. Baylor put a beatdown on Wazzu, (I know there are circumstances with that) UNLV beast ASU and K-State on the road will be tough!

This being said, ISU will be bowl eligible this season.

jamesfnb

Apr 9, 2006
This loss bothers me a lot but for different reasons than you outline. I don't expect to beat iowa every year as they are a tough team most years.

I was dissapointed in the coaching staff. Delay of game, time outs to save a delay of game penalty, "interesting" play calls (why go away from Bates in the shotgun when it seemed to be working?) Especially on that 3rd and 2 play at mid field they were moving the ball with Bates in the shotgun and then on 3rd and 2 they put him under center?????? I wish we would have seen more of Bates in the game playing the Pat White role..............I like AA, just wish we would have seen more Bates.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Things you should be upset about:

6 times in the red zone=3 points. 10 point would be bad, 3 is unbelievably bad, almost unheard of.

4 times ISU had guys open for TDs. One the TE dropped, Darks uncovered on the swing pass at the 15, one time Arnold complete a 7 yard pass to the short man, while the guy deeper down field was uncovered, overthrew Johnson two steps open in the endzone!

Horrible punt coverage and tackling on the big run back. Is Johnson normally one of the gunners? Is E. Messia(sp)? It seems odd to have a WR as a gunner.

Letting Greene gain 35 yards when 3 guys had a hand on him in the backfield. That was really sad.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Things you should be upset about:

6 times in the red zone=3 points. 10 point would be bad, 3 is unbelievably bad, almost unheard of.

4 times ISU had guys open for TDs. One the TE dropped, Darks uncovered on the swing pass at the 15, one time Arnold complete a 7 yard pass to the short man, while the guy deeper down field was uncovered, overthrew Johnson two steps open in the endzone!

Horrible punt coverage and tackling on the big run back. Is Johnson normally one of the gunners? Is E. Messia(sp)? It seems odd to have a WR as a gunner.

Letting Greene gain 35 yards when 3 guys had a hand on him in the backfield. That was really sad.

That and EIU scored 40% of our points....................ON PURPOSE!:sad:

I am banking on us making improvements like we did last year and hoping we end up winning at least 6 games. Go Clones.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
The sky is not falling, yet. We got beat by a good team that was jacked up. They will win 8 -9 games and go to a bowl, with the Big 10 tie ins - probably a very good bowl. We will continue to improve.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I guess I'm not really that concerned with loss on Saturday. The issues that have been brought up regarding the redzone offense I really believe were a product of the weather. A lot of teams playing in the same type of weather conditions had many of the same problems. Lets give it a couple of weeks before we pull out the pitchforks people.

As far as the playcalling and delay of games, remember this is a very young team. Have we all forgotten the many timeouts and confusion during Flynn and Meyer's freshmen years? I think it's just magnified due to the new clock rules on top of breaking in new QB's. It will get better.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
I guess I'm not really that concerned with loss on Saturday. The issues that have been brought up regarding the redzone offense I really believe were a product of the weather. A lot of teams playing in the same type of weather conditions had many of the same problems. Lets give it a couple of weeks before we pull out the pitchforks people.

As far as the playcalling and delay of games, remember this is a very young team. Have we all forgotten the many timeouts and confusion during Flynn and Meyer's freshmen years? I think it's just magnified due to the new clock rules on top of breaking in new QB's. It will get better.
I agree for the most part. We were the better team on Saturday aside from our complete incompetence in the redzone and some special teams mistakes (which made us the worse team). For example, Iowa was in the redzone twice and got 10 point, we were there 3 times (not 6) and got zero. That is the story of the game imo. A couple of very minor changes and the game could have gone the other way. For example, Bates staying in bounds on his almost TD run, someone making a tackle on the punt return TD, and us making one of our 3 missed field goals is a 17 point swing. I'm sure there are other such scenarios one can think of as well, but the point is that this game could have very easily gone the other way.

A lot of the mistakes we made can be fixed or could have very easily gone the other way. I don't think they are indicative of major systemic problems. I don't think we miss three field goals most of the time, especially in better conditions. Big special teams plays will also happen now and then. If we look back on the season and discover that the opposition has an inordinate number of big special teams plays then we can conclude otherwise, but for the moment I'm chalking it up largely to crappy luck at an inopportune time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron