*Official Iowa-ISU Prediction Thread*

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I said before the game that each team would be better because of this game. That was spot on. ISU is gonna benefit seeing that D, and they will be better because of those growing pains of facing that tough of a Defense, as they won't see a better one all year long. Iowa is gonna benefit playing a tough 3/4 defense as they will face another one in two weeks and Nebraska's at the end of the year. The experience for both will be invaluable.

As far as your prediction for Iowa, I can't take it serious, as that is what you WANT, not what is reality. Iowa will win 9 or more games this year.

ISU's outlook it pretty positive IMO as well. I think the D will keep ISU in every game. When you play good D, you always have a chance to win. My only concern if I were an ISU fan, is just how much will that Oline hurt you this year, as it is clearly ISU weakest position group.

Oh, and I love the way Brian Ferentz is in ISU fans heads. I love that he is the architect of the whole TOE stuff, and I find it hilarious that he can troll ISU fans and coaching staff that much.

1976's Iowa predictions are the real Legend here.

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks and breck53

breck53

Aug 29, 2008
Honest thoughts on the game:

QB's: Thought both looked pretty poorly. Not great decision making for either one of them

RB's: None of Iowa's RB's impressed me, just looked average. Iowa did a great job taking Montgomery out of the game and ISU's run blocking did nothing to help

TE's: I thought ISU did a great job keeping both Iowa's TE's in check. I thought Allen played pretty well for the most part, had some good blocks and some bad ones but that's a tough team to block against

WR's: Iowa's WR's struggled to get separation between Peavy and Payne. Iowa did a great job putting pressure on Kempt and took ISU's WR's out of the game

DL: Iowa's DL was stupid good, no other way to put it. I thought Lima and Uwazurike were fantastic

LB's: Rose obviously caught everyone's attention. Harvey had just an OK game, thought Spears looked great. #32 for Iowa was all over the place, really impressed with him.

Secondary: Both teams secondaries looked great, I think mostly because of both teams offenses and QB's struggling

Special teams: Rough opening game for Corey Dunn, that's about all you can say about that

Coaching: Iowa did a good job making adjustments and forced ISU into trying to run the ball up the middle which wasn't working. I thought ISU did a great job of spreading out Iowa's defense but the lack of execution was painful to watch and they didn't really know how else to try to move the ball
Great evaluation-spot on

Reactions: CyTwins

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I said before the game that each team would be better because of this game. That was spot on. ISU is gonna benefit seeing that D, and they will be better because of those growing pains of facing that tough of a Defense, as they won't see a better one all year long. Iowa is gonna benefit playing a tough 3/4 defense as they will face another one in two weeks and Nebraska's at the end of the year. The experience for both will be invaluable.

As far as your prediction for Iowa, I can't take it serious, as that is what you WANT, not what is reality. Iowa will win 9 or more games this year.

ISU's outlook it pretty positive IMO as well. I think the D will keep ISU in every game. When you play good D, you always have a chance to win. My only concern if I were an ISU fan, is just how much will that Oline hurt you this year, as it is clearly ISU weakest position group.

Oh, and I love the way Brian Ferentz is in ISU fans heads. I love that he is the architect of the whole TOE stuff, and I find it hilarious that he can troll ISU fans and coaching staff that much.

If that team ISU played on Saturday wins 9 or more games, their conference must be complete garbage. Iowa was handed the ball inside ISU's 30 yd line twice by shank punts and got 3 pts out of it. They couldn't do a thing offensively all game long until midway through the 4th when ISU's defense finally tired a bit.

And yes, Iowa has a decent defense, but with that being said.... ISU didn't even try to do anything offensively all day long. Never attacked the edges, never ran their WR screens they lived on all year last year to make teams run sideline to sideline, didn't even attempt a pass more than about 10 yds until they were down late in the 4th quarter. It was as vanilla an offense as anyone will ever run. CMC lost us the game on his play calling alone. No words to describe it. Baffling. Iowa never had to defend more than about 5 plays all day.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If that team ISU played on Saturday wins 9 or more games, their conference must be complete garbage. Iowa was handed the ball inside ISU's 30 yd line twice by shank punts and got 3 pts out of it. They couldn't do a thing offensively all game long until midway through the 4th when ISU's defense finally tired a bit.

And yes, Iowa has a decent defense, but with that being said.... ISU didn't even try to do anything offensively all day long. Never attacked the edges, never ran their WR screens they lived on all year last year to make teams run sideline to sideline, didn't even attempt a pass more than about 10 yds until they were down late in the 4th quarter. It was as vanilla an offense as anyone will ever run. CMC lost us the game on his play calling alone. No words to describe it. Baffling. Iowa never had to defend more than about 5 plays all day.

I honestly don't think he was trying to show Oklahoma anything on film and kept it simple that way

• Winner
Reactions: breck53

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Hope you're sleeping better.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018

Crazy that Iowa won the game so easily even though they pissed away those easy opportunities.

CMC didn't lose that game, the OL did. If you understood football you would realize that CMC was just trying to keep Kempt alive. As it was, even trying to protect him with running the ball and using quick hitters, the Iowa D Line still got to Kempt and took him out of the game. CMC was forced to game call like he did, because this ain't playstation where you can drop back and throw deep every play and catch one out of every 3 of them and there are no consequences for doing that.

• Agree
Reactions: dexterhawk

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don't know I didn't look at that. I do know they were better than 90% of the Big 12 offenses that ISU faced.

OK I'll let you in on a secret then. You were the worst defense we faced last year. Congrats. One game sample sizes are the best!

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
So you can't counter anything I said then.... got it. That's what I thought.

"And yes, Iowa has a decent defense, but with that being said.... ISU didn't even try to do anything offensively all day long."

This says it all. You seriously think ISU "didn't even try to do anything offensively all day long"? Or maybe that, they did try, and just couldn't do anything.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
They were the second best offense they saw. Iowa offense >> 90% of the Big 12 last year.

giphy.gif

I don't know what it is about you hok trolls and your trouble with statistics. I know Iowa is a law and medicine school, but come on...

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
"And yes, Iowa has a decent defense, but with that being said.... ISU didn't even try to do anything offensively all day long."

This says it all. You seriously think ISU "didn't even try to do anything offensively all day long"? Or maybe that, they did try, and just couldn't do anything.

They definitely kept things vanilla that's for sure

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
OK I'll let you in on a secret then. You were the worst defense we faced last year. Congrats. One game sample sizes are the best!

Sounds about right, our defense was pretty bad at the beginning of the year. We were 36th in total D last year and that is pretty bad for Iowa.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
They definitely kept things vanilla that's for sure

CMC didn't want to get his boys hurt, so I understand where CMC was coming from. Keep it vanilla and get out of Kinnick with as few injuries as possible.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron