Why do we tackle so poorly?

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Still have a lot of work to do on it this year... there were several plays we should have had sacks for big losses and they gained yards from it

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
ISU has not tackeld well since the end of 2005, ISU has stunk in the red zone since 2005 against BCS opponents.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If you fail to gang tackle like McC teams do, you need to wrap up their legs not just bounce off them. Looks like we do little gang tackling, so we need to go for the legs more.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Bad Tackling = Loss

Tackling has been a problem at ISU for a long time. I've always blamed on ISU's lack of team speed, but it seems under Chizek our speed has improved but tackling has not. Bad tackling is bad enough in a base defense, but IMO it causes bigger problems on special teams where the guy with the ball is usually in space.

Tackling may be a struggle until we can develop a d-line that can control the line of scrimmage. That means a couple 290-300lb DT's and a strong side DE in the 270 range. It seems to me that opposing O-lines aren't forced to double team any D-lineman freeing them to tie up our LB's.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I think our tackling is poor because we always seem to go for the knockout blow instead of breaking down, wrapping up and making the sure tackle.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
We're a small team right now, and we tackle high. We need to learn to hit low, especially with Summers from UNLV. I love they're not afraid to hit, but I'm tired of seeing them bounce off. Save the big hits for next year when you're 10-15 lbs heavier.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Youth and a lack of size

I don't buy either of those for one second. Youth? These guys didn't have to tackle people in Jr. High and High School? And you don't have to be a 6-5 260lb LB to wrap your arms around someone and drag them down.

Tackling is about technique and discipline. I think too many kids these days are looking for the highlight reel kill shot because that's what they show on ESPN every week (Jacked Up anyone?).

CyBelieve

Aug 5, 2006
Ankeny
Are we talking about the game on Saturday? We cut the opponents yardage in half and their star running back to over 100 yards off of his average. They scored one TD....the problem wasn't our tackling (with the exception of the Punt return).
I'd say to only give up less than 250 yards in those crappy wet conditions was pretty damn good.
Put the ball in the end zone and we are writing how great the D was!

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
It has to do with not stressing fundamentals and going for the big play. They see that the BIG hits make the highlights and want to look cool.

Also, I do still think there are times when our D-Line is a bit too slow. They just go for a weak arm tackle, which good QBs and RBs are going to avoid. I think our LBs and safetys go for the "big hit" and miss a lot.

It's kind of like basketball: Now-a-days, not many players, even guards, shoot the ball well. Mainly because they don't learn the fundamentals and work on shooting. They'd rather focus on layups and dunks because those are the highlights they see on TV.

clone61

Dec 8, 2007
NE Iowa
Why dont we ask this guy...

Mr.%20Owl.gif

iowaboy

Apr 4, 2008
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Because players of today are NOT taught how to tackle. In high-school they go for the big-hit as opossed to tackling the knees/thighs. Its like the slam dunk in BB. It takes little talent to dunk as compared to hitting over 50% of your threes but the crowd wants the dunk. Kids think that the big-hit will get oohs and ahhhs except its a high percentage of failure. Most of the time the Running back has more forward momentum than a defender and the laws of physics apply. Even if you get him.... he'll drive you back a few yards. Hit the knees and they will go down like the ground opened up on them. Its a matter of teaching them then insisting that they do what they are taught. Simple really.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
Because players of today are NOT taught how to tackle. In high-school they go for the big-hit as opossed to tackling the knees/thighs. Its like the slam dunk in BB. It takes little talent to dunk as compared to hitting over 50% of your threes but the crowd wants the dunk. Kids think that the big-hit will get oohs and ahhhs except its a high percentage of failure. Most of the time the Running back has more forward momentum than a defender and the laws of physics apply. Even if you get him.... he'll drive you back a few yards. Hit the knees and they will go down like the ground opened up on them. Its a matter of teaching them then insisting that they do what they are taught. Simple really.
100% correct, it starts young. If you don't learn to do it right from the beginning it's going to be damn near impossible to correct come college. I would like to believe it's not Chizik's doing, being such a defensive minded coach. But someone is not teaching these kids how to tackle properly. Hit low, head up, wrap your arms and drive through the tackle.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
100% correct, it starts young. If you don't learn to do it right from the beginning it's going to be damn near impossible to correct come college. I would like to believe it's not Chizik's doing, being such a defensive minded coach. But someone is not teaching these kids how to tackle properly. Hit low, head up, wrap your arms and drive through the tackle.

That and more gang tackling would help. I've seen a lot of guys standing around and watching.

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
Are we talking about the game on Saturday? We cut the opponents yardage in half and their star running back to over 100 yards off of his average.

Seriously?

He would've had about 35 less yards if any of about 9 guys could've wrapped him up on one play.

The wet conditions are what held him as much as anything. Using Maine and FIU as the barometer to gauge success is...nevermind.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Tackling has been a big disappointment for sure. I agree with the fact that players are messed up from a young age, but it's not a problem seen across ALL of college football. There has to be some things the staff can do.

I, unfortunately, don't feel that it's very fixable in-season. It can improve, especially player to player, but as a whole what you see is what you get.