Kinnick north end zone renovation

RedBayou

Jun 27, 2018
For the people who don't believe the construction has anything do with the flooding why has Iowa's field never done that before and honestly why do you even care that the construction is what caused it? I know someone who works with the Gage Brothers so I sure think they would know what caused it

Just an odd thing for people to even care about. If I was an Iowa fan I would be more worried about the field being ready to go for Saturday then finding out an unfinished construction project caused something to go wrong

That dumpy fake turf hasn't flooded yet until now though right? And they've certainly gotten that much rain in the past. Like I said, it's because of the construction project
LOLOLOLOLOLOL.. "You guys are obsessing about this topic I keep bringing up..."

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
It hasn't been open that long. Few years maybe. They may not have had a rain event like the one the other night in that time frame.

I find it hard to believe they haven't had two inches of rain in a short period of time in Iowa City in the last few years

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
LOLOLOLOLOLOL.. "You guys are obsessing about this topic I keep bringing up..."

I don't think anyone is "obsessing" I think most of us found it really odd that the University made sure to point out that the flooding had nothing to do with the project. Seemed kind of odd that they felt the need to say that.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
WTF? Then why did he tweet it to the fans?

It’s pretty obvious if you take a second to think about it. He was saying that he is aware the university (at the time) did a poor job of enhancing the gameday experience, and was imploring the fans to take matters into their own hands and take care of that themselves (i.e. staying engaged when the person in charge of the PA system starts blasting Sean Kingston or Pitbull for the fifth time during a stoppage in play).

• Optimistic
Reactions: JP4CY

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
Kinnick a top 5 football atmosphere in the country, the best sports venue in the state, and now the #6 tailgating in the country.

https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Ranking-the-25-best-college-tailgates-119135428/#119135428_1

How is Madison not on this list? I'm not much of a fan of the Badgers but that is a fantastic town with a ton of success over the past 20 years and a rabid fan base that consumes the whole state, which is obsessed with Beer, brats, and cheese. This is a no brainer as a top 25 tailgate.

Side note: all i ever hear from Iowa fans is how much of a pain IC is to get in and out of and how that has such a negative impact on their gameday experience. It's rare for me to hear an Iowa fan say ISU doesnt have the better tailgate. I've heard a ton about "Kinnik is a great atmosphere" but a rarely hear anything about Iowa's "Tailgate".

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
How is Madison not on this list? I'm not much of a fan of the Badgers but that is a fantastic town with a ton of success over the past 20 years and a rabid fan base that consumes the whole state, which is obsessed with Beer, brats, and cheese. This is a no brainer as a top 25 tailgate.

Side note: all i ever hear from Iowa fans is how much of a pain IC is to get in and out of and how that has such a negative impact on their gameday experience. It's rare for me to hear an Iowa fan say ISU doesnt have the better tailgate. I've heard a ton about "Kinnik is a great atmosphere" but a rarely hear anything about Iowa's "Tailgate".

I’ve never heard an Iowa fan have anything negative to say about Iowa’s tailgating scene other than when the University was trying to crackdown on open containers a few years back. I’ve also never heard or seen anyone other than Iowa State fans gush over Iowa State’s tailgating scene.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
It’s pretty obvious if you take a second to think about it. He was saying that he is aware the university (at the time) did a poor job of enhancing the gameday experience, and was imploring the fans to take matters into their own hands and take care of that themselves (i.e. staying engaged when the person in charge of the PA system starts blasting Sean Kingston or Pitbull for the fifth time during a stoppage in play).
Don't your coaches have some pull in what gets "blasted" on the PA system? That's not on the fans, man.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I'm aware. I was downtown Iowa City on leave in 08 when the Tornado hit. Scary S%(^. I'm not sure if the playing surface has flooded before. I'm assuming it has. I asked my brother who lives 4 blocks from Kinnick off of Sunset and he said he got about 5 inches in his electronic rain gauge in less than an hour that night. That is a whole lot of rain in a short amount of time. Hard for any drainage system to keep up. Sounds like the field will be fine for Saturday though.

Soooo I just looked and the UI weather station at Kinnick is showing a whopping 1.23" of rain on Tuesday. I think there might be some issues with the reno.

Reactions: wxman1

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
Sure, but you can't convince me that NDSU has a better tailgating scene than many on that list (Iowa included).

When NDSU came to Kinnick the fans were everywhere tailgating. Hotel parking lots, game day lots. Everywhere. They had even more fun before the game than they had after, and certainly had fun after.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I’ve never heard an Iowa fan have anything negative to say about Iowa’s tailgating scene other than when the University was trying to crackdown on open containers a few years back. I’ve also never heard or seen anyone other than Iowa State fans gush over Iowa State’s tailgating scene.
Wrong on both accounts, as usual. Tons of Iowa fans griped about the whole shutting the lots down 1 hour after game ending, the draconian drinking policies that were enacted/redacted a few years back. I know you won't believe it but I personally know two longtime Iowa fans who stopped renewing their premium parking passes over those two issues.

I also know PLENTY of Iowa fans that prefer the tailgating experience at ISU due to the proximity of the parking lots.

But I digress... in your mind absolutely everything Iowa is superior to everything ISU.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Gotta love how @benjimill disagrees with anything that doesn't fit his narrative. Even if it is commonly known material.
He's a homer desperately trying to find validation on the message board of a rival. Cut him some slack - he's clearly a challenged individual.

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA

I would lie if i didnt admit my own bias (my avatar is literally cyclone koolaid) but I've had conversations with 3 different friends this week alone who are big hawkeye fans and former or current season ticket holders that all complained about trying to get in and out of IC on gameday. Not just complain but call it a total nightmare. Also, they all praised the ease of access, set up, and atmosphere at ISU tailgates. I think your glasses may be tented a little too black and gold to see through them.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Maybe the University should have a free tuition contest to enhance game day experience.

• Funny
Reactions: ImJustKCClone