Toppling Goliath in Ames

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Going to be in Ames for a wedding this weekend. Looking for someplace that carries Toppling Goliath selection beyond their flagship beers. Cans or bottles, not tap. Any suggestions?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Going to be in Ames for a wedding this weekend. Looking for someplace that carries Toppling Goliath selection beyond their flagship beers. Cans or bottles, not tap. Any suggestions?
Cyclone Liquors maybe. Flagship ones are available at Sams.

• Agree
Reactions: cyguy9320

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

Cyclone Liquors, Hy-Vee and Fareway in north Ames all carry non-flaship beers in bottles.

Last edited:

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk

Selection will vary a bit, but their offerings are available at Cyclone and HyVee for best selection. They could have 4 packs of Pseudo Sue, 4 packs of Golden Nugget, 4 packs of Pompeii and 4 packs of Dorothys. Golden Nuggest and Pompeii in cans are tasting great right now. Sue is kinda hit or miss in cans yet.

In bombers they will have some of their specialty ones. I think the latest ones in bombers that have circulated are Scorious (likely gone by now), Double Dry Hopped Pseudo Sue, Mosaic Dry Hopped Sue, Fire Skulls and Money.

By 4th of July King Sue 4 packs are coming.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I always hit Cyclone Liquors and the East Hy-Vee (same parking lot).

Cyclone Liquors is a great store. If I was ever in Ames without wife or kids I'd hit up Alluvial and perhaps Torrent breweries.

Reactions: Clonebydesign

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
London Underground has a nice selection of beers and spirits to sit and enjoy.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
So HyVee and TG just released the Warped Roots brand. Anyone tried it?

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
It's $10.99 per six pack for Wisco brewed Pompeii, from what I can tell.

In short hand: it's probably fine, but seems over priced.

Kind of surprised they would charge that much for a HyVee brand. Seems like Baraboo was a lot more reasonable. I mean why do they think people will buy that over TG’s beer?

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Kind of surprised they would charge that much for a HyVee brand. Seems like Baraboo was a lot more reasonable. I mean why do they think people will buy that over TG’s beer?

Baraboo NEEDS to be reasonably priced IMO. Average price for a an average brew.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Warped Roots. I don't get what's in it for Hy-Vee. I get it from TG's end.
Sorry, my post was meant to be a shot at TG for outsourcing their kegs. There's been some questionable tactics going on when it comes to their kegs. Sometimes the kegs we get have Decorah collars, sometimes they have Verona collars. Tough to say which ones are brewed in house and which ones are sent out. What makes it even more difficult is the difference between their cans and their draft. The beers are vastly different in appearance, aroma, and taste. But hey, they're expanding to new states every day!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Sorry, my post was meant to be a shot at TG for outsourcing their kegs. There's been some questionable tactics going on when it comes to their kegs. Sometimes the kegs we get have Decorah collars, sometimes they have Verona collars. Tough to say which ones are brewed in house and which ones are sent out. What makes it even more difficult is the difference between their cans and their draft. The beers are vastly different in appearance, aroma, and taste. But hey, they're expanding to new states every day!

I don't disagree with any of that. To make matters worse, they can't seem to have any sort of consistency with the hops they make in Decorah. Sue has become a ******* dice roll. I haven't bought a TG 4 pack in over a month because of it. I actually like Wisco Pompeii a lot. It has west coast appearance and clarity but it's still really juicy and fruity on the nose and flavor. But it's a completely different beer.

I guess they can't be bothered to make consistent beer when they have to spend so much time spiting their former employees for having the audacity to start a nano-brewery with zero distribution 2 hours away.

• Agree
Reactions: Cybyassociation