INSIDER: The Mike Rose talk is legit

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If not redshirting after the four fee games hopefully he plays more than Hummel a year ago.

Hummel, Vance, Rose, Bailey, and Sutton is a promising young group. And I’m sure I’ve forgotten a couple others.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
As a veteran of the Walden years, this worries me. Jiving Jimmy was always rolling out some freshman who was going to be great, way better than whatever stiff at that position they had the year before. But they always turned out to be just a younger stiff.

I'd be more confident if Orien Vance as a redshirt would have just outright won the spot because he was so good. We've heard good things about him too.

Hope I am just being a nervous nellie, and both are total dudes. If that is the case, then the D is going to be damn good.
Damn, you are scarred!

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Always a double edged sword when the new guy comes from no where and is the starter. Is he that good or does everyone else suck? Doesn't sound like he will be the starter, but might get to play, so I'm all good with it. Has some serious size for a true freshman.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This is my thought on MLB and the O Line. It's easy as fans to see it as the new guy just being awesome but the flip side is that guys that have been here for longer haven't locked the position down. I think it's great news for 2019, 2020, because clearly the young guys are talented but I'd hesitate calling it great news for this year.

Reading between the lines, I'm not getting that vibe. Usually, if it's a situation where the new guy is a possibility simply because the veterans aren't that good, you get some coach speak/media speak about "uncertainty" or "wide open race" rather than gushing praise for the guy who is surprisingly competing for the spot.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytasticlone

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
If not redshirting after the four fee games hopefully he plays more than Hummel a year ago.

Hummel, Vance, Rose, Bailey, and Sutton is a promising young group. And I’m sure I’ve forgotten a couple others.

Caleb Johnson our ferocious LB coming in from JUCO next season. That guy is a freak

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Always a double edged sword when the new guy comes from no where and is the starter. Is he that good or does everyone else suck? Doesn't sound like he will be the starter, but might get to play, so I'm all good with it. Has some serious size for a true freshman.

The last time a guy came out of no where to be the starter at linebacker turned out pretty well (Marcel Spears).

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I read an analysis of of our 3 man front last year, and it said a huge part of it’s success was having a MLB that did a great job of making reads and could cover two gaps. So if that’s true, than a different MLB could necessitate going more away from that.

I guess I'd disagree with that. I think it's success is based in having a NG who can keep the middle LB clean to make plays freely. Sure, you need a MLB that can make those reads but that's true not matter the front and I don't think your best MLB is going to change based on your front. They could changes based on the offenses scheme but I just don't think the MLB varies in what you're looking for because your front may vary.

• Informative
Reactions: Doc

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
He was actually called a "rover" which meant he played wherever he wanted to, but it was primarily as linebacker. I don't remember him ever being a defensive end. I know he played linebacker up in Minnesota in the NFL.

Think he played the Monster position. Which is actually what you were describing with rover.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and JRE1975

kccyclone3

May 16, 2015

Has anyone heard much about Bailey and how is is progressing? Seems to have been relatively quiet.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I hate to tell people "I told you so" about Mike Rose......... but.... I TOLD YOU SO!

After looking at all the videos of this class at signing day, his was one of the most impressive to me at the time, and I said it on here. I'll have to go back and find it.

Reactions: Doc