Football Scholarship Chart Tracker

colin_jokeo

Jul 11, 2017
Iowa City, IA
There will be some attrition. Probably guys that are told they can stay on as a walk-on but are shown that they probably aren't going to see the field. Maybe that's dependent on spring practice for some kids, maybe for some it's not.

Is there a way to see who transferred out of the program by year? I'm guessing we'll have to wait until the Fall to get the official number for this upcoming year.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Great to see Treiber make his announcement putting us at 19 commits for 2019. Jared's story says we have just a few more spots left. So we have 15 Seniors. Let's say Montgomery and Butler leave for the NFL after their Junior seasons. That makes for 17 open scholarships. I guess there is just no way to ever know how many scholarships the coaches consider as being available. The only thing we can know for sure is that 25 is the limit, so at most we can take another 6 players.

As an aside, looking at the chart, it is wild that we have no Juniors in the defensive backfield on scholarship. Losing Peavey, Ruth and Payne after this year are huge losses, but unless we bring in a grad transfer next year, we have every defensive back returning in 2020 that we will have in 2019. We would have had redshirt Juniors this year in Stephon Brown and Jordan Wallace, but neither are on the team any longer. I guess maybe those two guys are examples of why you think you only have 17 scholarships available but in the end you have up to 25 because people just disappear for various reasons, some naturally and some by persuasion (that is the euphemism I will choose). But as we know, it's the same at every school and at least from what we have seen our staff is honest and above board with these things. It's just as in life, your employer needs you to be productive and contribute to success, or your services will no longer be required.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Great to see Treiber make his announcement putting us at 19 commits for 2019. Jared's story says we have just a few more spots left. So we have 15 Seniors. Let's say Montgomery and Butler leave for the NFL after their Junior seasons. That makes for 17 open scholarships. I guess there is just no way to ever know how many scholarships the coaches consider as being available. The only thing we can know for sure is that 25 is the limit, so at most we can take another 6 players.

As an aside, looking at the chart, it is wild that we have no Juniors in the defensive backfield on scholarship. Losing Peavey, Ruth and Payne after this year are huge losses, but unless we bring in a grad transfer next year, we have every defensive back returning in 2020 that we will have in 2019. We would have had redshirt Juniors this year in Stephon Brown and Jordan Wallace, but neither are on the team any longer. I guess maybe those two guys are examples of why you think you only have 17 scholarships available but in the end you have up to 25 because people just disappear for various reasons, some naturally and some by persuasion (that is the euphemism I will choose). But as we know, it's the same at every school and at least from what we have seen our staff is honest and above board with these things. It's just as in life, your employer needs you to be productive and contribute to success, or your services will no longer be required.

I've seen 22-23 thrown around a couple places as the expected class size.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone and LarryISU

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
There will be some attrition. Probably guys that are told they can stay on as a walk-on but are shown that they probably aren't going to see the field. Maybe that's dependent on spring practice for some kids, maybe for some it's not.
You can’t do that once they’re on scholarship. Either they’re graduating after four years, transferring, paying their own way, or some way is being found for them to finish their degree without being on the team (or counting against the roster).

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
You can’t do that once they’re on scholarship. Either they’re graduating after four years, transferring, paying their own way, or some way is being found for them to finish their degree without being on the team (or counting against the roster).
How is that allowed but not the option to move to 'walk on' status. Semantics?

colin_jokeo

Jul 11, 2017
Iowa City, IA

I have no idea what Iowa State does but coaches have the option of giving 1 year scholarships or multiyear scholarships. It used to be standard to go year by year which then you would see some kid not get renewed.

It wouldn't surprise me if Campbell used 4 year scholarships as a recruiting tool.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Carson Lensing doesn't appear to be a Cyclone anymore. Still listed on the website roster but not listed in today's Instagram post

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-15_16-33-17.png
    upload_2018-8-15_16-33-17.png
    141 KB · Views: 10
  • Disagree
Reactions: ILikeCy

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Carson Lensing doesn't appear to be a Cyclone anymore. Still listed on the website roster but not listed in today's Instagram post

Maybe he had a conflict and couldn't be there for the photo. If he's on the website roster, then he's still a Cyclone.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I never saw any mention on this site that OL Josh Mueller was no longer with the team. I know he was injured last year, did he give up football because of it?

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Were there any last-minute surprises joining the team for the Fall 2019 season? I recall a couple seasons ago there was a guy who joined the team out of the blue like 2 weeks before the season (I think his name was Jahustin Thomas or something like that, but I could be wrong).

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Has anyone ever given thought to updating this? I always found it really interesting, particularly at this time of the year, when there's always a juggling act with new recruits.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron