Friday OT #3 - I'm A Big Kid Now

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I was on medical leave recently from work, and during the time, I feel like I existed on banana chips and goat cheese (not together). I was mentioning this to a friend, and realized that this was one of the more adult sentences I've ever said, as I apparently sort of generally made the decision not to really do the "adult" thing sometime long ago.

What things do you do or eat or say that betray the fact that you are, against whatever your wishes may be, are indeed an adult? Do you have strong opinions on laundry detergent? Have you yelled at kids for riding skateboards on your sidewalk? Do you eat hummus?

• Friendly
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Kids are on their damn phones too much, they need to get their asses outside and play.

"Put down your iPad and go run laps around the house" - frequent proclamation to our kids.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
“If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.”

I’ve recently had a bathroom remodeled and also been too busy for some other chores that I have hired out. It is absolutely impossible to hire someone that performs quality work anymore. And the costs for said services are also ridiculous.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I went to bed before 10pm twice this week and it was just a regular next day, not going to bed early for a flight or something like that.

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I listen to podcasts while at the gym now instead of music.

I do that frequently at work... with it somewhere in mind that maybe something I hear will come in handy in a business meeting or dinner as trivia. SO LAME.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Kids are on their damn phones too much, they need to get their asses outside and play.

I used to ***** at my niece and nephew about this, but when I realized them being on their phone or iPad is no different than us watching tv when younger, I lightened up about it.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
I drive a Hyundai Sonata because it's practical for commuting.
I quit drinking Mountain Dew on a regular basis.
I look forward to my morning coffee.
I take the time to clean my grill.
I go to the gym BEFORE work.
This is my most recent one. I've was always the type to stay up until 2am and sleep in until 11am until I started in the working work with a 7am start time. I prefer to work out right after work but in the summer its just too nice outside to waste that time so I've started going to a class at 5am. I love it but it makes me question who I am anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and jcyclonee

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
When my girls were young, I'd lay this on them. I once knew a little girl who always said "I can't.". Know what she did when she grew up? Nothing.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
This is my most recent one. I've was always the type to stay up until 2am and sleep in until 11am until I started in the working work with a 7am start time. I prefer to work out right after work but in the summer its just too nice outside to waste that time so I've started going to a class at 5am. I love it but it makes me question who I am anymore.

I’m 35 years old and I don’t think I’ll ever get to the point where I start going to the gym in the morning. I have recently started going at about 8pm instead of 9pm though.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy and Angie

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Whenever I run into a young adult, maybe 17-22, I invariably go into "Dad-mode" and begin giving them encouraging advice about how to live their life.

"Figure out what you enjoy doing, and pursue that"
"Make sure to save some money for the future"
"Don't do needle drugs"
etc etc

Just total Cornfield Confucious. I catch myself doing it and its embarrassing, but you wish you could know then what you know now...