Alumni Reunion

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
Is the MBB Program doing the alumni reunion again this year or was it a one time event?

• Funny
Reactions: clfanatic

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
Nice! Thanks for the help on that. I love that they are honoring Floyd and the ‘96 team. Great memories down in KC watching that one at Kuemper Arena.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This is a great tradition Coach Prohm has started and I hope it continues for a long time. I remember reading something Paul Shirley wrote about how he was skeptical about attending last year but afterwards he came away impressed with the event and enjoyed catching up with the guys he played with that he had not seen in awhile. I think it is great way to celebrate the Cyclone legends and give the current players exposure to the guys that paved the way to make this one of the better programs in the country.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I can understand thinking that. But this is more for the players and less for the fans.

Clearly, Prohm is doing this primarily for the players as he is trying to build a culture for the program. I just wish there was a pep rally or alumni game or something for the public to share a little bit of the weekend.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Steve Prohm deserves so much credit for starting this thing. I think he has to put in a ton of work to make this thing possible. Since we can't hang on to a coach, players that played here 20 years ago are MANY coaches removed from the school and have clearly gotten the impression from past coaches that they don't matter. (I don't think that is necessarily anyone's fault.)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It would have been fun (in a very awkward way) to watch Johnny Orr with Prohm at one of these events. Both have great hearts, but only one a salty mouth. I think Prohm would have blushed a lot . . . and loved it . . . because Orr was so sincere in his care for Iowa State.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Clearly, Prohm is doing this primarily for the players as he is trying to build a culture for the program. I just wish there was a pep rally or alumni game or something for the public to share a little bit of the weekend.

No doubt, but getting these guys feeling good about Iowa State probably makes them more likely to come back to games, etc. And it shows them that Iowa State isn't necessarily looking for anything from them.

I think of a guy like Hornacek who was our most successful NBA player and the guy hasn't been around much in 30 years (I think he was back for the Barry Stevens memorial weekend, but that's it.) It sounds like Hornacek will be around tomorrow and that is a good thing. Maybe he will make it to a game sometime!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It would have been fun (in a very awkward way) to watch Johnny Orr with Prohm at one of these events. Both have great hearts, but only one a salty mouth. I think Prohm would have blushed a lot . . . and loved it . . . because Orr was so sincere in his care for Iowa State.
Johnny would be half full before the event would start.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
This is a great tradition Coach Prohm has started and I hope it continues for a long time. I remember reading something Paul Shirley wrote about how he was skeptical about attending last year but afterwards he came away impressed with the event and enjoyed catching up with the guys he played with that he had not seen in awhile. I think it is great way to celebrate the Cyclone legends and give the current players exposure to the guys that paved the way to make this one of the better programs in the country.
Coach was at Paul’s book signing last year at Olde Main. They talked for a long time before.