Rivalries Bring Out the Worst...

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Rivalries Bring Out the Wurst...

...in Folks.

Just got back from a trip to the grocery store. As I was parking, I noted with disbelief that a pickup in the facing row had "ISU blows" painted on the passenger side window of the extended cab. When I came out, it caught my eye again. I really had to shake my head in bemusement. Rooting for you own school is one thing, this was crude.

Now, in the year and a half I've lived here, Altoona seems pretty amiably split between Hawk and Cyclone fans. The lady behind me at the cashier the other day laughed when I noticed her clack and gold iced cupcakes and commented that she'd accidently picked up the wrong ones...and they probably had better eat them before Saturday, or they wouldn't taste as good. Good spirited kidding. She even laughed louder when I teased her about "black mold".

But this seeemed a little...rude, and my first thought was that the guys must have cojones the size of Rhode Island to drive around and park in public parking lots with that on his reasonably nice truck. Either that, or a brain the size of a pea. My second. more charitable thought, was that maybe he was a Cyclone fan--and a Hawk friend had mischievously painted that where he wouldn't notice it right away--opposite the driver's side. I didn't circle the truck, after all.

Then, driving away, I finally arrved at the conclusion that maybe, whichver side the driver was on, it was better if the sentiment was right--and with thunderstorms forecast, a Cyclone swept through Kinnick and blew the Hawkeyes away. Yep, Cyclones blow, all right. :biggrin:

Just a little taste of what Colorado got.

I'll also continue my rant for those of you who keep referring to "typical Hawkeye fans", especially those who didn't attend Iowa. In the first place, my mother was a dyed-in-the-wool Hawkeye fan, and she didn't attend college. That didn't mean she didn't love her Hawks. I'm not even sure she ever attended a game, as we didn't have alot of money, and on the rare occasions my dad got tickets when I was a kid--he took me. And Cyclone gear? Sure, Dad would proudly wear the Cyclone caps that I bought him, but anything I bought for Mom quietly filtered it's way back to me...wrapped up as a birthday present, if nothing else. I got some pretty cool stuff that way--because I wouldn't spend that kind of money on myself. And one final note for my mom...she passed away quite a while ago. Now, I had had some health problems, and at that time was withdrawn from school. But on her deathbed, she made me promise to graduate from Iowa State.

And here's one other thought. When Chizik, Pollard and McDermott get the programs up and running the way they want to, and Cyclone winning spreads across the state, one day there will be a great many Cyclone fans who didn't attend Iowa State--so don't mock the Hawks for theirs now. That's a little hypocritical, don't you think?

As a matter of fact, the next time you're talking to a fellow Cyclone fan, don't talk about "typical ignorant Hawk fans" being trash, because you just might be talking about his momma. And fair warning, I go a shade over 6'3" and weigh upwards of 250, and while some people might not mind, some might be a bit wary of what might or might not come back their way. :wink:

After all, everybody has mommas. :yes: And I have this strange tendency in that I far prefer the damage of a verbal rejoinder to a physical reply--I've found the pain lasts longer. Far longer.

Fair warning. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Hey, c'mon--I put this in "General College" for a reason--I didn't want it to be with all the trashy smack talking! :tongue: Besides which, It's not about our "In-State Rivals"--it's about us.

homeslice

Aug 20, 2008
I don't have a problem with anyone choosing to be a fan of any school's team regardless of whether or not they actually went to school there. That is what America is all about.

What I have a problem with, and in very large part hate the Hawkeyes for, is the fact that they have such a large fan base that not only did not ever go to school there, but take every possible chance to try and act superior to me as a Cyclone fan even though I actually attended, and graduated, from Iowa State. The number of times that I have gotten the fake pity crap from Hawkeye fans for being a Cyclone when I know that 95% of the time it is coming from someone that has never stepped into a classroom at the U of I really makes my hatred grow for the Hawks.

It is all about the arrogant, self-important, sheep Hawkeye fans that make it so easy to dislike all things Hawkeye. I have no problem with the 5% of their fanbase that is decent though.:smile:

Reactions: kingcy

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I have no problem with the 5% of their fanbase that is decent though.:smile:

I think you'd find that the actual percentage is a great deal higher. After all, lots of average people say "I root for Iowa State, except when they're playing Iowa!"

It's just that, like with Cyclone fans, the obnoxious ones get 95% of the attention.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
I agree with above. I don't hate Hawk fans in general. I hate the ones who belittle me for liking ISU, even though I graduated from school there, while they have their GED or High School diploma.

I hate the fans who think that a guy from Minneapolis who moved to Ames for school is going to root for the Hawks because "they're better".

I don't mind objective Hawks fans that respect me because I'm loyal to the school I went to. Sounds like your mom fell in that category of fans.

homeslice

Aug 20, 2008
I think you'd find that the actual percentage is a great deal higher. After all, lots of average people say "I root for Iowa State, except when they're playing Iowa!"

Ok, 10% tops though and that's coming from a guy that is married to a Hawkeye fan (that didn't attend Iowa of course) and has many Hawkeye friends (that didn't attend Iowa either of course).

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I have respect for the hok fans who 1.Know their own team and 2.Do not go out of their way to demean ISU. Problem is that that percentage of their fanbase is miniscule. If someone claims to be a "die-hard" hok fan yet can't name their QB or PG, they aren't worth the time of day. Especially when they somehow think that rooting for iowa makes them better than ISU fans.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Of my 20 close Hawkeye friends, I can count only 2 that actually attended Iowa (my brother-in-law and another friend). Of my 5 close Iowa State friends, only one of them didn't go to Iowa State - that'd be my wife, and she married an Iowa State grad.

Kind of dispels the defense of the Hawks in this thread, now doesn't it...

homeslice

Aug 20, 2008
Of my 20 close Hawkeye friends, I can count only 2 that actually attended Iowa (my brother-in-law and another friend). Of my 5 close Iowa State friends, only one of them didn't go to Iowa State - that'd be my wife, and she married an Iowa State grad.

My wife and I are going to a friend's house for a party for the game and there will be over 20 adults there and having seen what the guest list looks like I can see that allegiances will be split close to 50/50 with a slight lean toward the Hawkeyes. Also I noticed that all those pulling for the Cyclones are either graduates of ISU or their spouse is a graduate and that there will not be a single graduate of Iowa there. Not surprising at all.

Lucky it will be a pretty decent bunch of Hawkeye fans with maybe only a few jerkoffs in the mix.:wink:

jakemcilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006

It's completely true. More often than not, you have a "reason" to be an Iowa State fan. Your dad went to school there, you grew up going to games, you went to school there, you live near Ames, etc, etc.

Growing up all my friends were Iowa fans. NONE had any ties to Iowa. They just loved the "Hawks."

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
This state is made up of fans who didn't go to Iowa or Iowa State or even Drake and just want to hop on the latest bandwagon. If you have any doubt of that rewind to last March when Drake was in the NCAA tourny. All the sudden their was Drake Blue all over town. They lost and I haven't seen it since.

Reactions: Aclone

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
I am all for more ISU fans that did not go to school here. However, I still hope if that fan is an UNI grad that he still pulls for his school and follows their success/failures.

Secondly, as we gain these not ISU grads as fans, I sure hope the trailer trash still takes a liking to iowa over ISU.

jakemcilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
This state is made up of fans who didn't go to Iowa or Iowa State or even Drake and just want to hop on the latest bandwagon. If you have any doubt of that rewind to last March when Drake was in the NCAA tourny. All the sudden their was Drake Blue all over town. They lost and I haven't seen it since.

You don't have to graduate from the school to be a "fan," but nobody can argue that going to the school gives you a closer connection to the University. Furthermore, you can't claim to be a "big" fan if you've never attended a game or have only attended 2-3 games in your life. Just an opinion.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
Ill be a UNI grad this December, and I like seeing my panthers do well, but Ill never cheer for them over ISU. I like seeing the panthers do well, but it doesnt ruin my day if they dont. On the other hand, I LOVE seeing the Cyclones do well, and it DOES ruin my day(relatively speaking) when they dont. I guess what Im saying is that, fan bases take all types, we're just blessed with a lower population of "dirty" fans than the hawkeyes.

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
...in Folks.

Just got back from a trip to the grocery store. As I was parking, I noted with disbelief that a pickup in the facing row had "ISU blows" painted on the passenger side window of the extended cab. When I came out, it caught my eye again. I really had to shake my head in bemusement. Rooting for you own school is one thing, this was crude.

Now, in the year and a half I've lived here, Altoona seems pretty amiably split between Hawk and Cyclone fans. The lady behind me at the cashier the other day laughed when I noticed her clack and gold iced cupcakes and commented that she'd accidently picked up the wrong ones...and they probably had better eat them before Saturday, or they wouldn't taste as good. Good spirited kidding. She even laughed louder when I teased her about "black mold".

But this seeemed a little...rude, and my first thought was that the guys must have cojones the size of Rhode Island to drive around and park in public parking lots with that on his reasonably nice truck. Either that, or a brain the size of a pea. My second. more charitable thought, was that maybe he was a Cyclone fan--and a Hawk friend had mischievously painted that where he wouldn't notice it right away--opposite the driver's side. I didn't circle the truck, after all.

Then, driving away, I finally arrved at the conclusion that maybe, whichver side the driver was on, it was better if the sentiment was right--and with thunderstorms forecast, a Cyclone swept through Kinnick and blew the Hawkeyes away. Yep, Cyclones blow, all right. :biggrin:

Just a little taste of what Colorado got.

I'll also continue my rant for those of you who keep referring to "typical Hawkeye fans", especially those who didn't attend Iowa. In the first place, my mother was a dyed-in-the-wool Hawkeye fan, and she didn't attend college. That didn't mean she didn't love her Hawks. I'm not even sure she ever attended a game, as we didn't have alot of money, and on the rare occasions my dad got tickets when I was a kid--he took me. And Cyclone gear? Sure, Dad would proudly wear the Cyclone caps that I bought him, but anything I bought for Mom quietly filtered it's way back to me...wrapped up as a birthday present, if nothing else. I got some pretty cool stuff that way--because I wouldn't spend that kind of money on myself. And one final note for my mom...she passed away quite a while ago. Now, I had had some health problems, and at that time was withdrawn from school. But on her deathbed, she made me promise to graduate from Iowa State.

And here's one other thought. When Chizik, Pollard and McDermott get the programs up and running the way they want to, and Cyclone winning spreads across the state, one day there will be a great many Cyclone fans who didn't attend Iowa State--so don't mock the Hawks for theirs now. That's a little hypocritical, don't you think?

As a matter of fact, the next time you're talking to a fellow Cyclone fan, don't talk about "typical ignorant Hawk fans" being trash, because you just might be talking about his momma. And fair warning, I go a shade over 6'3" and weigh upwards of 250, and while some people might not mind, some might be a bit wary of what might or might not come back their way. :wink:

After all, everybody has mommas. :yes: And I have this strange tendency in that I far prefer the damage of a verbal rejoinder to a physical reply--I've found the pain lasts longer. Far longer.

Fair warning. :biggrin:
Hawks suck, their mommas wear combat boots, my dad can beat up their dad and I can out run you mister 250 chubby man. GO CLONES!!!!!!!!!

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

who care? this is a rivalry dude, not the senior debate team. I plan on making fun of iowa anywhere they provide an opening this week. even the ones that aren't logical. you can be sure they would return the favor. even the one's that went to uni.

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
Hawks suck, their mommas wear combat boots, my dad can beat up their dad and I can out run you mister 250 chubby man. GO CLONES!!!!!!!!!

knowing from experience and close to myself. 230-250 on a guy 6'3" does not make him fat. it makes him big, which makes it worse for you when he does catch you.

minnclone99

Nov 22, 2006
Rompots
That truck paint up reminds me of the Top Gear episode where they painted provocative slogans on eachothers' cars before driving through Alabama. Great show btw, worth checking out on BBC America.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron