Niang signs for 3years and 5 mil

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Interesting Fansided piece on Georges, now that he's signed the contract, on what his role could be and whether he could become the next Royce .... O'Neal :)

The writer calls Georges a "relentless worker" (but cautions that there are 3 guys ahead of him at the 4:

https://thejnotes.com/2018/07/13/utah-jazz-georges-niang-become-next-royce-oneale/

I mean, i get he's valuable in the paint because of his ability to put shot blockers off balance plus he works for rebounds, but it's not like they can't move someone shooting 50%+ from 3 off the 4, right?

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I mean, i get he's valuable in the paint because of his ability to put shot blockers off balance plus he works for rebounds, but it's not like they can't move someone shooting 50%+ from 3 off the 4, right?

Yeah, they'll want him to stretch the floor from the arc but I imagine there's concern whether he could guard a typical NBA 3. The league has some unbelievable athletes at that position.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yeah, they'll want him to stretch the floor from the arc but I imagine there's concern whether he could guard a typical NBA 3. The league has some unbelievable athletes at that position.

I think the Jazz are pretty well set up to do this as I picture George’s being an offensive injection kind of guy or spot up shooter that can fake and drive guy on the 2nd team. With Rudy Gobert watching his back mistakes shouldn’t be so glaring.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think the Jazz are pretty well set up to do this as I picture George’s being an offensive injection kind of guy or spot up shooter that can fake and drive guy on the 2nd team. With Rudy Gobert watching his back mistakes shouldn’t be so glaring.

Kind of my point. We all know Georges is never going to be the prototypical 2-way player, and it's not from a lack of effort - he just doesn't have the quickness necessary to be a defensive stud. But that was never how he was going to be valuable to a team anyway. His value comes at the offensive end where he stretches the floor and, due to his peculiar post game, even causes matchup problems down there.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Interesting Fansided piece on Georges, now that he's signed the contract, on what his role could be and whether he could become the next Royce .... O'Neal :)

The writer calls Georges a "relentless worker" (but cautions that there are 3 guys ahead of him at the 4:

https://thejnotes.com/2018/07/13/utah-jazz-georges-niang-become-next-royce-oneale/

Those 3 guys were all there last year, and Jerebko still got good minutes, so it would be awesome if Niang could get a good chunk of those minutes. Those other three all play other positions, and Sefolosha is old, coming off an injury, and also a drug suspension.

• Useful
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I saw where the 1st year guarantee is for a little over $1.5 million.

Well earned and I hope he stays in the league for many years.

Watching him this year in the summer league you can see how much he has changed his body and game for the NBA.