Best Cyclone "Glue Guys"

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
I went down a rabbit hole this morning after listening to a podcast with Kantrail Horton (still THE MAN by the way) and it got me thinking about the best "glue guys" in ISU history. In my opinion those teams in '99-00 and '00-'01 without selfless guys like Horton and Stevie Johnson to hold things together. That locker room was about to implode at times with Eustachy, Tinsley, and Fizer. Horton actually talks about that in the interview which I enjoyed.

Some other favorites of mine:

- Jacy Holloway
- Shawn Bankhead
- Kantrail Horton
- Stevie Johnson
- Tyus McGee
- Melvin Ejim
- Mike Born

Horton podcast:

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I went down a rabbit hole this morning after listening to a podcast with Kantrail Horton (still THE MAN by the way) and it got me thinking about the best "glue guys" in ISU history. In my opinion those teams in '99-00 and '00-'01 without selfless guys like Horton and Stevie Johnson to hold things together. That locker room was about to implode at times with Eustachy, Tinsley, and Fizer. Horton actually talks about that in the interview which I enjoyed.

Some other favorites of mine:

- Jacy Holloway
- Shawn Bankhead
- Kantrail Horton
- Stevie Johnson
- Tyus McGee
- Melvin Ejim
- Mike Born

Horton podcast:

big12 players of the year aren't really "glue guys."

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Ron Virgil should be on the list.
The first name that came to my mind was Dustin Hogue.

But Ron Virgil is a good name to throw in there. In the Orr years, he did a lot of yeoman work and was good at pressing and handling the press (and at about 105 pounds).

From that era, you could also make the case for Ronnie Harris, who was Johnny's first recruit and a 4-year starter. At about 6'3" he ended up guarding a lot of much bigger forwards and I believe he was All Big 8 Defense more than once.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Too many to name. During the Orr years there were sometimes multiple glue guys on the same squad.

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
A few more I thought of:

- James Hamilton
- Klay Edwards
- Marc Carlson