Poll: Big 12's Best 2018 Non-Con Matchups

Which non-cons will the Big 12 win straight up?

• Total voters

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Pete Mundo, of Heartland College Sports (and a morning show on KCMO), posted a series this past month regarding what he felt were the best non-conference games for the coming season:

Best 2018 Big 12 Football Non-Conference Games

From having listed to Pete's Big 12 Sports Podcasts, I glean that he is more interested in which games would, for for instance, garner a larger TV audience. My poll takes a different angle, though, asking:
  • Which games do you think the Big 12 will win straight up?
  • Added good, though not glitzy, matchups for KU vs Rutgers, and Baylor vs Duke (Pete conserves his ink regarding those schools, but I take a top-to-bottom view.). These could be bottom dwellers, but they both have a shot at winning these on their home field.
  • Removed WVU vs Tennessee, and Texas vs Ole Miss since we can only list 10 choices in a poll ( :( )

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Pete Mundo, of Heartland College Sports (and a morning show on KCMO), posted a series this past month regarding what he felt were the best non-conference games for the coming season:

Best 2018 Big 12 Football Non-Conference Games

From having listed to Pete's Big 12 Sports Podcasts, I glean that he is more interested in which games would, for for instance, garner a larger TV audience. My poll takes a different angle, though, asking:
  • Which games do you think the Big 12 will win straight up?
  • Added good, though not glitzy, matchups for KU vs Rutgers, and Baylor vs Duke (Pete conserves his ink regarding those schools, but I take a top-to-bottom view.). These could be bottom dwellers, but they both have a shot at winning these on their home field.
  • Removed WVU vs Tennessee, and Texas vs Ole Miss since we can only list 10 choices in a poll ( :( )
I had Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Iowa State, and West Virginia. I'd also have included WVU against Tennessee and Texas over Ole Miss.

I don't see how Kansas is going to win that game, and this might not be a great year for the Big 12 in those matchups

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
I had Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Iowa State, and West Virginia. I'd also have included WVU against Tennessee and Texas over Ole Miss.

I don't see how Kansas is going to win that game, and this might not be a great year for the Big 12 in those matchups
Regarding Kansas, Phil Steel has them 98th in his Power Poll, and Rutgers is 97th. Since it is in Lawrence, there is actually a chance that the least of us wins against the B1G. Texas would be heavily favored against Maryland, so it might be up to the Clones to make it a sweep for this year;

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Most interesting non-ISU game there to me is TCU-Ohio State
That one has the highest upside, for sure. TCU will be the dog, but it will be a virtual home for them game in Arlington. This game, too, at 7 pm Central on ABC, will cap off a huge day of non-conference action. Sep 15 gets started with Oklahoma visiting Ames. And to kill the afternoon, I'd recommend hanging out at your local sports bar. There will be 4 very entertaining games in the afternoon slot, including 3 home games:
  • OSU hosting Boise St - Boise is on the way back, and this is the only game resembling a resume builder for the Cowboys
  • Baylor hosting Duke - If the Bears pull of this upset, they could become a dark horse in the Big 12. QB Charlie Brewer is for real, and, while returning 17 starters, the Bears could just arrive a year early.
  • Tech hosting Houston - A lot of history here. Houston leads the all time, but Tech should have the upper hand.
The fourth afternoon game, WVU at NC State, might be the most underrated non-con for 2018. NC State has done a lot of damage in the ACC in recent years, and should be the favorite. We learned last year what a factor Will Greer can be with his accurate long balls, and if he can shine in Raleigh, his Heisman stock will be on the rise.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Lol I need to re-vote. Totally thought this was basketball and trying to figure out why nobody thinks KU could beat Rutgers. It's kind of funny, I think I may need to swap all my picks the other way.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Regarding Kansas, Phil Steel has them 98th in his Power Poll, and Rutgers is 97th. Since it is in Lawrence, there is actually a chance that the least of us wins against the B1G. Texas would be heavily favored against Maryland, so it might be up to the Clones to make it a sweep for this year;
Maryland really took it to Texas last year, but should be different this season.

Also, I don't see how Rutgers doesn't win fairly comfortably against KU. I mean Rutgers is bad, but KU is just on a different level of bad.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Lol I need to re-vote. Totally thought this was basketball and trying to figure out why nobody thinks KU could beat Rutgers. It's kind of funny, I think I may need to swap all my picks the other way.
Of course, you can change your votes at any time. Just remember ... football season comes first ... then basketball ... then baseball, although we don't have one of those teams any more. ;)

Help Support Us

Become a patron