Moving to Central Iowa

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clonesfan11

Apr 14, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I have a question for all you central Iowa folks. My wife and I are relocating from the CR area and are looking at houses in the Bondurant, Ankeny, and Polk City areas. We are hoping to be in a house by the end of August. We are somewhat familiar with central Iowa having grown up in the area, but all of these towns have changed significantly since we were younger. I was hoping people could provide insight into these communities and the school districts as we have a kid on the way. So far our thoughts on these towns are as follows:

Bondurant:
  • Seems like it would be the most convenient location for our work commutes. I will be working in downtown DSM and my wife's office will be in Nevada, although she will only probably go to her office about 3 days a week. Smaller community feel, most similar to what both of us grew up in. Seems like a better bang for buck with housing. Our concerns would be slightly longer distance to amenities (restaurants, HyVee/Fareway, etc.)
Ankeny:
  • I'll admit we don't know much about Ankeny. Our impression is more traffic, larger schools, more housing inventory, pretty much have everything you'd need in close proximity.
Polk City
  • We like the area around Polk City, being close Saylorville and other outdoor activities. Seems like less housing inventory (although a lot are starting to be built). It would be stretching our budget a little. We are unsure of the in-town commute to downtown rather than I-80 from Bondurant. We don't know much about the school district or future plans for expansion. It seems like it is closer to nice golf courses.

I appreciate any insight you have about these areas and thanks in advance!

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
1. Bondurant
Does seem like the best place for convience. It is cheaper because of the tax abatement but they kinda of screened themselves. Built all these houses but collecting no tax for bigger schools and municipal upgrades. Just an ok school district and not much in town but close to Altoona. Only grocery store is a local owned one.

2. Ankeny
Second most convenient. Typically larger city life with everything you need. Traffic is usually not terrible depending on your location. Pretty good inventory of houses and decent schools. If I didn’t already live in Polk City, I’d choose Ankeny due to house prices. Good school district. Besides a few groceries and having a beer at the bar, we go to Ankeny for almost everything.

Polk City
Least convient location for your scenario. I live in PC and love it. 10 minutes to Ankeny, 20 to West Des Moines, 30 minutes to the airport or Ames. We love being right next to saylorville and big creek. We bought 5 years ago before PC really started growing. Prices for houses in Polk City are really inflated right now. Great school district. However based on the info you provided PC would not be as convient for you. Has a fareway in town and a few good places to eat. To get downtown it’s easiest to take 415 to 2nd ave and go straight down or hop on the interstate from there. On a good day with ok traffic you’re looking at 30 minutes +\- If PC would push your budget, Ankeny would be a better option and only 10 minutes away from big creek/saylorville. You never wanna put yourself in a situation where you’re house “rich” but cash poor.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
I would never buy a house in Bondurant. Having worked on a few engineering projects there, I know they have significant drainage issues. The town is just too flat.

We've lived in Ankeny for 20 years now and love the conscience to everything. I used to commute to Ames and also downtown FWIW.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Greenland Homes and Classic Builders suck. Avoid them.

Are you looking for a new or established neighborhood? Kids?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Bondurant is at that major growing pains stage. If you want that small town feel to last more than a couple months you better be looking for the new Bondurant. I don’t know what that is though. Maybe Mitchelville or Cambridge or Baxter or some place like that.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Traffic in Ankeny is way easier than Ames... Even with a lot more people.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I have a question for all you central Iowa folks. My wife and I are relocating from the CR area and are looking at houses in the Bondurant, Ankeny, and Polk City areas. We are hoping to be in a house by the end of August. We are somewhat familiar with central Iowa having grown up in the area, but all of these towns have changed significantly since we were younger. I was hoping people could provide insight into these communities and the school districts as we have a kid on the way. So far our thoughts on these towns are as follows:

Bondurant:
  • Seems like it would be the most convenient location for our work commutes. I will be working in downtown DSM and my wife's office will be in Nevada, although she will only probably go to her office about 3 days a week. Smaller community feel, most similar to what both of us grew up in. Seems like a better bang for buck with housing. Our concerns would be slightly longer distance to amenities (restaurants, HyVee/Fareway, etc.)
Ankeny:
  • I'll admit we don't know much about Ankeny. Our impression is more traffic, larger schools, more housing inventory, pretty much have everything you'd need in close proximity.
Polk City
  • We like the area around Polk City, being close Saylorville and other outdoor activities. Seems like less housing inventory (although a lot are starting to be built). It would be stretching our budget a little. We are unsure of the in-town commute to downtown rather than I-80 from Bondurant. We don't know much about the school district or future plans for expansion. It seems like it is closer to nice golf courses.

When we were looking, I worked in Ames & spouse worked in DSM. We found that the prices & taxes were better if you stayed out of Polk County. I'm sure there are many that will disagree. :D

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Traffic in Ankeny is way easier than Ames... Even with a lot more people.
Definitely. Ankeny may have bad traffic along Delaware but at least there are frontage roads. Meanwhile every business on Duff or Lincoln has a driveway.

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Huxley has the second-highest levy rate (per $1,000) in Story County, when you add the city rate to the school rate for Ballard. Only Slater is higher.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If you buy a house in Bondurant, make sure that you know who is living next door. I've heard there are some folks living there who are absolutely fanatics!

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm and CTTB78

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
I'd probably target the area around the 36th st exit in Ankeny based on your commutes: should be plenty of inventory and open lots if you're looking to build your own

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
With your wife working in Ames, I would think Ankeny is your best bet. Good schools, easy commute, and good proximity to anywhere.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
I have a question for all you central Iowa folks. My wife and I are relocating from the CR area and are looking at houses in the Bondurant, Ankeny, and Polk City areas. We are hoping to be in a house by the end of August. We are somewhat familiar with central Iowa having grown up in the area, but all of these towns have changed significantly since we were younger. I was hoping people could provide insight into these communities and the school districts as we have a kid on the way.

Bondurant is at that major growing pains stage. If you want that small town feel to last more than a couple months you better be looking for the new Bondurant. I don’t know what that is though. Maybe Mitchelville or Cambridge or Baxter or some place like that.

I agree. And would put my vote in to take a look at Baxter (no, really)... it's a great small town and still has it's own school district. Town is growing, but in a nice (and slower) pace that won't cause the issues like you are seeing in Bondurant.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Bondurant is really in a bad situation. Their infrastructure and municipals are currently maxed and very little new construction and developments are being approved now. They can't approve more until both are upgraded but they can't do that because they don't have the tax money to do it due to the tax abatement.