Chiz gives me pause for concern...........

cyowa

Apr 18, 2006
Reading recent interviews at CR with the coach gives me reasons to be concerned. He spoke of real problems in the defense and that it is not very good right now, especially the run defense. I think the fact that ISU is playing 10 true freshman and that KSU ran at will last Saturday, no matter how good there running back was, is cause for concern.

Now, maybe that is all a kind of negative psychology type of hype, and a poor boy type of strategy he is practicing, but from what I've seen, it sounds pretty real to me. Those who think this will be a cake walk this weekend just aren't listening and are drowning themselves in kool aid.

Having said that, I hope I'm completely and totally wrong.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
It's all talk to motivate the players, especially the ones who played poorly last week

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
He's being brutally honest, but that doesn't mean the team isn't capable of winning. Just look at the end of the season last year.

Reactions: Aclone

Cymaster

Jun 14, 2006
He's not saying anything most of us don't already know. Thing of it is, not too many are predicting 12 wins on the season or anything. We're predicting a hard fought win over Iowa. You can't catch yourself believing what their fans tell you. They are just not that good. We may not be a whole lot better, but they aren't that good.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
What's the big surprise here? All you had to do was watch the last few games to figure that out. It is a weakness for us right now.

This looks to be a year where our offense and special teams is going to need to compensate for a weaker defense.

Reactions: ajk4st8

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
It's funny how some people hang on every word of "coach-speak" that comes out. I wouldn't take everything that a coach says to fans and media so literally.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
What's the big surprise here? All you had to do was watch the last few games to figure that out. It is a weakness for us right now.

This looks to be a year where our offense and special teams is going to need to compensate for a weaker defense.
Yet we lead the nation with 11 takeaways.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
well put Rogue, everyone needs to realize that McCarney is no longer here as much as Hayden Fry thinks he should be. Gene Chizik is here to stay and does not sugarcoat ANYTHING. His honestly may seem brutal to some, but he'll use to as a motivator and a reason to play at a even higher level this week. time to beat a rival and equal our win total from all of last year!

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
I can't wait for a coach to say:

"Darn-it, we are superior right now. I don't see us losing a game this year. You know, we're pretty awesome. Even NFL teams wouldn't stand a chance against us. If we were a EA Sports game, we'd all have a 99 rating."

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
It's my opinion that Chizik wouldn't be talking like he is if he isn't more confident then what he's talking. I don't think anybody thinks it's going to be a cake walk but I think he's holding back more then he's telling.

It might be just me, but I think he's cooking the books.

Either way, we don't find out till Saturday and I am looking a whole lot more confidently at this game coming up this weekend then what I was thinking going into this game last year, and see what happened then. I don't care where it's played, don't count my Cyclones out of it.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
It's just coach-speak. There are no college football coaches, other than Pete Carroll, who will come out and say "we kicked *** last week and we're so much better than the next opponent we're going to win by at least 20 again".

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
That is a good stat. Where do we rank in run defense?
104 of 118 based on ypg

and sorry, its 10 takeaways. Still lead the nation though.
Only having 7 would still have us in the top 10.
We are tied for 2nd in turnover margin at +3 per game.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
People complained when Mac put a postive spin on everything. Now we are doing the same when Chizik is telling the truth. I think part of it is to get to his players, another part of it is to get to Iowa players. Him saying this stuff is not for concern it is good news to me that sees these problems and admits them.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It's all talk to motivate the players, especially the ones who played poorly last week

Yup.

People complained when Mac put a postive spin on everything. Now we are doing the same when Chizik is telling the truth. I think part of it is to get to his players, another part of it is to get to Iowa players. Him saying this stuff is not for concern it is good news to me that sees these problems and admits them.

Post of the day. No matter what a coach says, some certainly won't like it. Gene is a no nonsense, honest in-your-face guy. Works for me.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I can't wait for a coach to say:

"Darn-it, we are superior right now. I don't see us losing a game this year. You know, we're pretty awesome. Even NFL teams wouldn't stand a chance against us. If we were a EA Sports game, we'd all have a 99 rating."
That would be one of the funniest damned things ever.

kurecabinboy

Apr 22, 2008
We're losing track of his second point, which is that we are starting a heck of a lot of young players. I think we have a wonderful coaching staff who can make ISU extremely well prepared for the game on Saturday. But our coaches don't play between the lines.

This game will hinge on our young players' composure and our DTs stepping up to stuff the run.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron