What was Hayden Fry's inspiration for the Tiger Hawk?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SantaRosaCy

Jul 5, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
My recollection was, and you have to use your imagination a bit; but the story goes if you look at the components of the logo it spells; fry. And understanding his ego, and that of all eiu fans, it's not a stretch. They haven't caught it because they probably can't spell fry.

Reactions: irish

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
He took a dump on a piece of paper and then folded it in half. When he unfolded the paper:

il_340x270.1104234075_3o9w.jpg

He had some yellow runs but the rest is history.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
My recollection was, and you have to use your imagination a bit; but the story goes if you look at the components of the logo it spells; fry. And understanding his ego, and that of all eiu fans, it's not a stretch. They haven't caught it because they probably can't spell fry.

Components of the logo spells "fry"? How? I don't see it.

bgprest

Aug 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I remember when the new Hawkeye logo first came out and someone on campus created an "Iowa Turkeyes" shirt using a modified version of the logo with added turkey gobbler.

I had that t-shirt for many years but it's since gotten lost. I wish I still had it.

Anybody else remember those? We need to recreate that magic!