Bates is gonna go all Seneca on them...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
I can't get rid of the vision of Bates running wild on the Hawks.

Their dline is good (although somewhat over-rated imo), but I think they'll have trouble containing Bates and he'll exploit their poor DB's.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think you need to read my blog today. You just justified 1 of the points I made regarding one of my pet peeves! :arghh:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I can't get rid of the vision of Bates running wild on the Hawks.

Actually, I have visions of Austen going wild throwing bombs over, under and through their secondary. And Bates running wild. And Austen running wild. And Bates throwing bombs over, under and through their secondary....

And with three matches to go, it might just not be this year. Or, might not only be this year.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I believe Arnaud will be far more successful vs. Iowa than Bates will. Not an indication of who I think is better (they're both playing well) - Arnaud is just setup to be the better of the 2 against that defense.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
eh... I'd rather not be down three or four touchdowns at half. That game was great but far too stressful. I think our D would look all-american against FIU & Maine as well. Hard to determine how good they really are against those teams...

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Watched the two Iowa games off the DVR last night. Almost everytime a team went 4 wide they left the defensive middle wide open and guess what, the D-line busted up field. That right there makes me think Bates and Arnaud will both be running wild on them, straight up the gut!

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Gonna be a close game, but given the youth of our team and home field advantage, I'm gonna say the Hawks pull it out unfortunately. I'll say a late score by the Hawks ices it at 34-24.

Here's how I see it. Hawks will score first and take a 20-14 lead into halftime. We put 10 unanswered points on the board in the 3rd to take a 24-20 lead. Iowa has a sustained drive in the 4th to take a 27-24 lead. Under 5 min in the game and we have a costly TO leading to Iowa's final score.

Could go either way for sure and I will be screaming for State, but my gut is telling me otherwise right now. I think this team is a year away still.

I just hope we don't suffer a letdown going to Vegas the next week. We NEED to come into conference play 3-1 worst case.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I believe Arnaud will be far more successful vs. Iowa than Bates will. Not an indication of who I think is better (they're both playing well) - Arnaud is just setup to be the better of the 2 against that defense.

I agree 150%. We are going to have to throw to move the ball, then run after we establish that. Arnaud will have a huge first quarter. I could see Bates having some success in the late 3rd and into the 4th quarters after Iowa's d is tired.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
Gonna be a close game, but given the youth of our team and home field advantage, I'm gonna say the Hawks pull it out unfortunately. I'll say a late score by the Hawks ices it at 34-24.

Here's how I see it. Hawks will score first and take a 20-14 lead into halftime. We put 10 unanswered points on the board in the 3rd to take a 24-20 lead. Iowa has a sustained drive in the 4th to take a 27-24 lead. Under 5 min in the game and we have a costly TO leading to Iowa's final score.

Could go either way for sure and I will be screaming for State, but my gut is telling me otherwise right now. I think this team is a year away still.

I just hope we don't suffer a letdown going to Vegas the next week. We NEED to come into conference play 3-1 worst case.
...did I walk into hawkeyenation.com accidentally?

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
I think I'll add my two cents, not that it means much.

We will HAVE to pass to even have a chance at winning. And for this reason, Arnuad may even play most of the downs in the game. Even after we open up the pass, we will still have trouble running, we did last game, and the game before that. We just don't have the holes to run the ball.

Defensively, I think we get burned. We will have to blitz to plug the holes to try and hold Shonn Greene, but then that opens up our field way too much and it will get exploited. Sure we'll hold them for a few drives, but unless we get 5 interceptions or 5 fumbles again, then our defense will struggle. Iowa's passing game looked way more solid than ours, their running game is for sure more solid than ours, their D-Line is definately more solid than ours. The only thing we may have is better coverage with our secondary which even that can only go so far when the QB has all day to throw.

Hate to say it, but I don't see a victory, and not really even a close game. 14-21 point victory out of Iowa. Unless there is some surprise, or better grasp of the offense, I just didn't see enough improvement between week 1 and 2 to say we have a chance at winning. But then again, I never thought we would have won last year and we did. So I sure as heck hope I'm proven wrong once more.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I didn't see a victory coming last year either but in reality the score was a lot closer than what it should have been.

crhawkeye

Sep 7, 2008
What has Bates actually proven as a passer?

I guess my biggest concern with defending him is if he's a decent enough passer to make you pay.

Iowa has a history of shutting down mobile QBs when we scheme for it... (Juice Williams for Illinois, for example) But the worry is that they can pass on you too. (Indiana QB)

If Bates is in there mostly to run, I'm less concerned.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
What has Bates actually proven as a passer?

I guess my biggest concern with defending him is if he's a decent enough passer to make you pay.

Iowa has a history of shutting down mobile QBs when we scheme for it... (Juice Williams for Illinois, for example) But the worry is that they can pass on you too. (Indiana QB)

If Bates is in there mostly to run, I'm less concerned.

At the collegiate level, Bates has not proven much as a passer. Anyone saying different is simply being a homer.

Some ISU fans expect Bates to go wild, I'm not seeing it - especially early on - unless he beats the defense with a couple early passes.

Arnaud has proven he can throw and is no statue back there - he can hurt teams with his legs.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
I will say Bates did look better last week as a passer, but not even close to what Arnuad has done.

I had to say it, but take a few of those passes that Bates attempted last game that were overthrown, put in Arnuad, and you got yourself a TD. I really believe that.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Bates threw just 6 passes last week. Hard to really get an idea of what a guy can/can't do based on 6 pass attempts.