So, who is your rival?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Here's how I see it for teams that actually play one another. But I define a rival as the team you least want to lose to rather than who you most want to beat. Because a loss hurts for a long time while a win is mostly a passing emotional high.

ISU - Iowa
K-State - Ku
Ku (although they deny it) - K-State
OU - Texas
Texas - OU
oSu - OU
TxT - IDK but guessing Texas
Baylor - TCU
TCU - Baylor (perhaps Texas)
WVU (hoops dominates) - Ku

• Creative
Reactions: KnappShack

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
Here's how I see it for teams that actually play one another. But I define a rival as the team you least want to lose to rather than who you most want to beat. Because a loss hurts for a long time while a win is mostly a passing emotional high.

ISU - Iowa
K-State - Ku
Ku (although they deny it) - K-State
OU - Texas
Texas - OU
oSu - OU
TxT - IDK but guessing Texas
Baylor - TCU
TCU - Baylor (perhaps Texas)
WVU (hoops dominates) - Ku
ISU-KU for me in basketball, ISU- K-State for me in football, no contest.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
KU's biggest rival is MethZoo.

Don't pretend like it's KSU just because they've been split for a little while.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
It’s too bad that we lost some pretty damn good rivalries from realignment

Oklahoma - Nebraska
Texas - A&M
WVU- Pitt ( not a big 12 rivalry but that one was pretty heated)

Edit: forgot KU - Misery

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I can't agree with it being the team you'd least like to lose to.

If that's the case, Texas Tech and TCU would be ISU's rivals in basketball during their lean years, and KU in football the last several.

The most intensity for football realistically is between ISU and Iowa, but the team I'd most like to see ISU beat is KSU and it's really not close.

The most FUN team to watch ISU beat in basketball is KU hands down. Especially if they silence the Phog.

Actually the team that I'd like ISU and every other Big 12 school to beat badly is Baylor because **** them. After that it's Texas.

• Funny
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It’s too bad that we lost some pretty damn good rivalries from realignment

Oklahoma - Nebraska
Texas - A&M
WVU- Pitt ( not a big 12 rivalry but that one was pretty heated)

Edit: forgot KU - Misery

Ah, just saw the edit.

I remember watching KU-Mizzou football, I think in 2008, in a rainy game. Possibly the hardest hitting game I've seen--players getting laid out all over and the fans were merciless.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
tenor.gif

• Friendly
Reactions: mb7299 and Doc

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Interestingly, a non-consensus on ISU's rival. There's really zero hate going from EMAW towards ISU, so not sure how that works as a rivalry, Farmegedon maybe. Some were dang cocky going into last year's game. I, obviously, picked Iowa. But could see Ku because both are basketball schools.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
A rivalry has to be felt by both sides. As much as it pains most of us to say it, Iowa fits that bill more than anyone. The dislike runs both ways. That doesn't mean we'd rather beat them than a conference foe, though. Most of us just want a win to shut the other fans up.

As far as a conference rival, I honestly don't see one. KU doesn't see us as a rival in basketball. Hoiberg made some of their fanbase a little anxious, but that's about it. If I had to name one, I think they enjoy beating KSU more than anyone because they don't want to lose that in-state battleground. With Wichita State asserting themselves, KU doesn't want to be perceived as being 2nd or even third best.

In terms of football, I don't know any team that considers us as a rival yet. If we can flip the script on KSU, I think they would be our most likely option, but losing 10 in a row does not make a good rivalry.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Interestingly, a non-consensus on ISU's rival. There's really zero hate going from EMAW towards ISU, so not sure how that works as a rivalry, Farmegedon maybe. Some were dang cocky going into last year's game. I, obviously, picked Iowa. But could see Ku because both are basketball schools.

STFU! Iowa State had that game won until the refs decided to make several head scratching decisions.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
TROLL TROLL TROLL, TROLL TROLL TROLL, TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL...