Big 12 future media deals?

isu5000

Sep 14, 2012
I dont know if Bob B. meant the B12 doesn't know whom they are going to do business with their future tv deals/contracts (amazon, google, ESPN)? Or he meant if the league is going to stay together after their current tv contract expires? Any thoughts.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I dont know if Bob B. meant the B12 doesn't know whom they are going to do business with their future tv deals/contracts (amazon, google, ESPN)? Or he meant if the league is going to stay together after their current tv contract expires? Any thoughts.

I interpreted it as: we may pursue deals with streaming services before our current deals with ESPN & Fox expire.

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
In another thread I said pay very close attention to what Bowlsby says about Amazon and Google. That was exciting enough. Now he's said the following.

“Some of our partners have said to us that you guys have the last beachfront property out there and that makes your property valuable. When they talk about that, they’re talking about our third-tier packages and ability to pivot.”

“If you are a producer of high-quality live content, it’s going to have value,” Bowlsby said. “Whether it’s with our traditional partners or new partners, I think it’s going to show itself on the horizon."

This is all about content. The delivery systems are changing. Production of high quality live content has always been valuable, now it may be even more so.

We have the content and the flexibility. This is going to be fun.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The biggest issue we have is Bowlsby. That dude has sat on what Neinas (sp?) did for contracts and has hurt the league more than helped. I.E. not willing to call Baylor or TCU champs and let both stay out of the playoff.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
https://www.diehards.com/big-12/big-12-television-rights-bob-bowlsby-netflix-amazon-google

Could some of the smarter folks here break this down for us? This really stuck out to me:

“Our package is up in 2024-25, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll go that long before we make a decision,” Bowlsby said. “I think we will be active.”
I read it to mean the conference will be working on and have in place new media contracts long before the current one expires. We will be talking to traditional and streaming media companies. We have options with our T3 content as well as T1/T2 content.

• Optimistic
Reactions: CYCLNST8

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
You are 25 years behind.

I'm not counting anything during the era when we had racecar day or whatever that was. When I could walk into the stadium and get a yak jerky sample and watch cars drive around the field

The modern era is now. Nothing else matters

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I read it to mean the conference will be working on and have in place new media contracts long before the current one expires. We will be talking to traditional and streaming media companies. We have options with our T3 content as well as T1/T2 content.
That is exactly what he is saying.

The streamers are not near ready at this time to produce live sports content at the level of ESPN and Fox but they had better have their plans/money in place by the end of 2020 because I think there will be urgency by the ADs/Presidents to lock in the new TV deals as early as possible to secure long-term TV revenue streams for long-term planning purposes. And obviously ESPN, Fox, CBS, Turner and Comcast/NBC will all also need to be in position to bid at that time as well.

Regarding T3, the first domino to fall for the B12 will be the future of LHN. Will ESPN keep it as-is as a linear channel and/or transition it as an add-on to their ESPN+ streaming app, or fold it into one of the Fox RSNs that Disney/ESPN is planning to buy, or morph it into a B12-wide conference network on a linear & ESPN+ streaming basis or buy out the remaining contract from Texas. All of these alternatives will have an impact on how the B12 positions its T1/T2 content for bidding.

If ESPN does rid itself of LHN, will the conference aggregate their T3 content for a streamer or will they explore acquisition of PACN as an equity partner of the P12? Buying equity into PACN does have the advantage of eliminating a middleman in producing and delivering B12 content and it might end up being the best alternative despite PACN's current issues which are primarily related to lack of footprint and excessive cost overhead. I also would not be surprised if a Amazon, Google and Facebook end up buying PACN to immediately upgrade their entry into top shelf live sports production of both T2 and T3 content.

• Creative
Reactions: CYCLNST8

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That is exactly what he is saying.

The streamers are not near ready at this time to produce live sports content at the level of ESPN and Fox but they had better have their plans/money in place by the end of 2020 because I think there will be urgency by the ADs/Presidents to lock in the new TV deals as early as possible to secure long-term TV revenue streams for long-term planning purposes. And obviously ESPN, Fox, CBS, Turner and Comcast/NBC will all also need to be in position to bid at that time as well.

Regarding T3, the first domino to fall for the B12 will be the future of LHN. Will ESPN keep it as-is as a linear channel and/or transition it as an add-on to their ESPN+ streaming app, or fold it into one of the Fox RSNs that Disney/ESPN is planning to buy, or morph it into a B12-wide conference network on a linear & ESPN+ streaming basis or buy out the remaining contract from Texas. All of these alternatives will have an impact on how the B12 positions its T1/T2 content for bidding.

If ESPN does rid itself of LHN, will the conference aggregate their T3 content for a streamer or will they explore acquisition of PACN as an equity partner of the P12? Buying equity into PACN does have the advantage of eliminating a middleman in producing and delivering B12 content and it might end up being the best alternative despite PACN's current issues which are primarily related to lack of footprint and excessive cost overhead. I also would not be surprised if a Amazon, Google and Facebook end up buying PACN to immediately upgrade their entry into top shelf live sports production of both T2 and T3 content.