Target - Baby Daddy Cards

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
May as well put this one in the cave. I see no issue with it. I also get a kick out of how Twitter users went straight to "This is an insult to black fathers" when there is absolutely zero reference to race.

I'm pretty sure I've heard the term used in pretty equal parts towards white and black fathers...

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
May as well put this one in the cave. I see no issue with it. I also get a kick out of how Twitter users went straight to "This is an insult to black fathers" when there is absolutely zero reference to race.

I'm pretty sure I've heard the term used in pretty equal parts towards white and black fathers...

Have a kid due any day now and my wife got a present at her shower that is a onsie that says "Baby" and a shirt for me that says "Baby Daddy". We all got a kick out of it.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Its a card. If you don't like it, don't buy it and move on. People get to worked up over the simplest and most stupid things now days.

• Agree
Reactions: StratCY

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Im outraged as a single father. Actually no I am not. Another example of people getting outraged to be outraged. People love to be offended these days and they love making it about them, their race, their gender or whatever thing they represent.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Having the black couple imaged on the front of one of the cards is probably where it crosses the line. The generic ones are kinda funny to me.......I'd probably get one for DH because we make that joke a lot.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Having the black couple imaged on the front of one of the cards is probably where it crosses the line. The generic ones are kinda funny to me.......I'd probably get one for DH because we make that joke a lot.

and if their wasn't one with an African american couple on it, and other races represented they would still be offended.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Guess now they know next time to use the official term "the person with whom a child was conceived without having entered into the bonds of matrimony". That will make a beautiful card.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
and if their wasn't one with an African american couple on it, and other races represented they would still be offended.

Doubtful. It's easy enough to keep it generic if they were going for funny. Associating the race most often stereotyped by that term is where it goes awry.

In any case, not that big of a deal and the first I've seen it mentioned was this thread so it seems like one of those things where people will raise a bigger fuss being outraged about the outrage.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

Except the picture of the obviously black man on the card? And no, I have no problem with the cards.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
It's truly, truly, truly outrageous.
Jem is truly outrageous

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
If it was truly meant to be the slang way to say father but not together, then why the hell did they put a picture of a couple kissing on the card. People just need something to be offended by sometimes.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Well, it does seem kinda racist to me. Like it or not it is a term applied to black men by TV, movies, music etc. More than white or Latino men.

It would appear that I'm not the target audience so I'm not offended. But I can agree with the linkage to a stereotype of black men who are absentee fathers. That stereotype exists, whether it's warranted or not. And if a black man or woman takes offense I can't blame them.

And the term "baby daddy" seems to have less weight than the term "father".

It's easy for me to dismiss the uproar because I'm a white male.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron