MAILBAG: Which program has the higher ceiling in 2018?

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
BCClone writes: Best summertime drink? Margarita, vodka/Lemonade, long islands, or what’s the best?

CW: Do this…

Take your vodka/lemonade and put a little bit of light beer (Busch Light, Bud Light, Coors Light, Michelob Ultra, any will do) in with it. I think the name of the actual drink is called “Summer Beer.” It’s fantastic. I like to throw in a pinch of Body Armor or something like that too. Go light on the vodka though. This drink doesn’t mess around.

best summertime drink is clearly the mojito.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Great write up CW.

I'll challenge you on the ceiling question though; and this may just be semantics.
In my opinion, if the football ceiling is 10 wins, the basketball ceiling needs to be Final Four caliber. So I'd say that football has the higher ceiling.
Winning 10 games in football would put people in a frenzy.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I have posted this before, but Lewis went from not playing to in the rotation/starting a game (in Morgantown) starting with the TCU game in Ames last year. That was our first game without Solomon Young, so the rotation dipped down to him.

In those last five games, Lewis did the following from three...

2/3
3/8
4/5
0/3
1/3

= 10/22 (45.45%)

He also scored...

6 in 12 minutes
12 in 34 minutes
12 in 25 minues
2 in 14 minutes
5 in 25 minutes

He was still a little lost on defense, but that is a useful offensive player. He had an offensive rating of 148 in the game against OSU with the 4/5 from 3PT.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I have posted this before, but Lewis went from not playing to in the rotation/starting a game (in Morgantown) starting with the TCU game in Ames last year. That was our first game without Solomon Young, so the rotation dipped down to him.

2/3
3/8
4/5
0/3
1/3

= 10/22 (45.45%)

He also scored...

6 in 12 minutes
12 in 34 minutes
12 in 25 minues
2 in 14 minutes
5 in 25 minutes

He was still a little lost on defense, but that is a useful offensive player. He had an offensive rating of 148 in the game against OSU with the 4/5 from 3PT.

And in theory he should benefit from getting better looks and more of them from playing with better offensive talent. But we'll see. I'm with CW in thinking that the basketball team could finish in the top three or bottom three of the Big 12 and neither outcome would surprise me all that much. Loads of potential but nobody knows how or if all the pieces will fit yet.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Great write up CW.

I'll challenge you on the ceiling question though; and this may just be semantics.
In my opinion, if the football ceiling is 10 wins, the basketball ceiling needs to be Final Four caliber. So I'd say that football has the higher ceiling.

Agree, 10-3 (or maybe 10-4) in football would be equivalent of deep-tournament run territory, but CW also has BB ceiling as competing for Big 12 title, he didn't include postseason portion of it.

I concur with his ceiling/floor forecast, I'd put football's low-to-high range much narrower, relatively, than basketball, 6-7 (with bowl loss) to about 9-4.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Great write up CW.

I agree in theory. It’s hard to compare the NCAA Tournament to a full regular season in football. We see double digit seeds make the Final Four. Just have to get hot. I was looking at the regular season for consistency purposes.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Agree with Chris, I'd take the under for a 4.5 in final six games. In recent years, I feel like WVa depends on when the game occurs, and it's mostly a coin-flip -- Holgerson teams tend to fluctuate. I expect UT to improve, and it's on the road, penciling that as a loss. KSU -- curses are made to be broken, but ...

• Useful
Reactions: armount

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

2/3
3/8
4/5
0/3
1/3

= 10/22 (45.45%)

He also scored...

6 in 12 minutes
12 in 34 minutes
12 in 25 minues
2 in 14 minutes
5 in 25 minutes

Yep, he came on enough at the end of the year to give me hope that he can be a solid player for us.

He needs to keep working on his body, defense and decision making, but the shooting and offensive touch is probably there.

Hopefully he can give us a good 10 min/game as a backup guard next year and be a guy that can get us going a bit if our offense is struggling.

Reactions: isutrevman

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Good write-up. I also feel that losing the recruiter in basketball will hurt more.

But on the drink recommendation... oof. To the Pit of Misery with that one.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
As much as losing the recruiter hurts... It's one guy. And the real big need is PG next year. As long as that gets locked down we are in good shape. I think losing an offensive coordinator is a lot bigger deal, especially if the new guy wants to change up any terminology or anything. Remember Woody saying it takes a year with a guy?

Summer drink is a Miami Vice and I will stomach no disagreement.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
BCClone writes: Best summertime drink? Margarita, vodka/Lemonade, long islands, or what’s the best?

Take your vodka/lemonade and put a little bit of light beer (Busch Light, Bud Light, Coors Light, Michelob Ultra, any will do) in with it. I think the name of the actual drink is called “Summer Beer.” It’s fantastic. I like to throw in a pinch of Body Armor or something like that too. Go light on the vodka though. This drink doesn’t mess around.

As much as losing the recruiter hurts... It's one guy. And the real big need is PG next year. As long as that gets locked down we are in good shape. I think losing an offensive coordinator is a lot bigger deal, especially if the new guy wants to change up any terminology or anything. Remember Woody saying it takes a year with a guy?

In my neck of the woods we call these Strip n Go Naked's. If you ever had a few you would know why.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Berry seemed to be an up-and-comer. So that hurts. I figure he is going to get thrown out with the bathwater when Shaka goes down soon, too.

But I think our best recruiter and most central man to the process now is Prohm. CW wondered if we have had an elite recruiter on the staff since TJ left.

We have. It is the head coach.

I am more worried about losing Manning. I know the football coaching staff has redundancy and continuity built into it, the guys are used to working with each other, and Campbell has his hand in everything/has been an offensive coordinator and offensive line coach, but if there is one unit that we need to transform to take the program to the next level, it is in the trenches on offense. Losing an award-winning coach there cannot help.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

I believe the proper term for this drink is called "strip n get naked."

Reactions: Doc

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
You always take BB, one or two guys can change things dramatically. Football tends to take a lot of guys and a lot of years. FB is absolutely on an upward tragectory. But I see 8 regular season wins as our ceiling. If things fall right for BB, I could see third in B12, 20-24 wins and a top 25 ranking. FWIW - my neighbor is good friends with Jim Halihan. Jim told him, unquestionably, the best player on the team last year was Shyok.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
In my neck of the woods we call these Strip n Go Naked's. If you ever had a few you would know why.

Strip and Go Naked is the correct answer.

1 can of frozen lemonade concentrate, dump in pitcher.
Fill can with vodka, dump in pitcher.
Fill can with beer (light lager best - maybe even Buschwater), and dump in pitcher

Best to have this in the later afternoon so you don't pass out in the sun and get fried. It will creep up on you fast.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron