Friday OT #2 - One Shining Moment

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I had some pitching success in high school but was an awful batter. Junior year first round of the playoffs I pitched and coach actually let me hit for myself too and not get DH’ed for (first time in a month). Well I pitched a complete game one hit shutout, and the one hit was a shot up the middle that just barely went under my glove, and had 13 strikeouts. And managed to go 2-4 at the plate with 4 RBIs too.

Well the above story sounds great until I also add that the team we played was like 2-21 and had lost most of their games by double digits. But hey I still was the star of the night!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Basketball, junior year. Game tied, about 20 seconds left. We knew our opponent would get try to get the ball to its go-to scorer. We were in a 2-3 zone, I was one of the guards at the top.

Their PG passed to The Scorer on the opposite wing, who passed back to the point, and he reversed to wing on my side, then back to the PG, who turned toward the other wing for the go-to player.. As he started his passing motion, I bolted across the lane, intercepted the ball, drove the length of the floor for a layup in waning seconds, we won by 2.

Whatever was my next-best moment in sports, it was a distant 2nd.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
A little background, or you can skip to the achievement at the end. Well, I've never been a very good athlete. I tried, but I was the chubby kid so I was slow and spongy. My Little League highlights were usually just getting on base with a walk. I'm not even sure if I got a double... ever. I stuck it out until my last year though.
Soccer was worse as I just stood at fullback and watched the forwards for my team on the other end. I was useless.

My freshman year of high school I was resolved to being a band geek and not playing any sports, I was 5'9 and about 200 lbs, all flubber.

On a whim I went to an informational meeting for wrestling because one of my good friends was there. I ended up joining the team. I was pretty terrible that year especially, but the pounds just melted off. I went from 190 to 145. Of course I ended up getting really sick at the end of the year because I was barely eating so I could cut weight, but I was pretty proud of myself.

Of course at the beginning of my sophomore year I was back to about 190, but I had also grown from 5'9 to 6', so it wasn't all that bad. Sophomore year I cut down to 160 and learned a bit more. I was still bad but I won a few matches at JV and some weekend tournaments.

Junior year I was asked by one of the football players to come out for football. I always loved football but I never bit the bullet and joined the team. I played on the line at 6'1 215 that year and was not great but I played a little. We weren't good at football and they needed anyone they could get. Wrestling I wrestled at 185 varsity and won a few matches. Our team was terrible and we never had a full varsity team so not getting pinned was an accomplishment.

Senior year I played football at 6'1 220 and got to play more. I was still pretty bad but I tried. Wrestling I did pretty well as well at 185 again. I even wrestled a few times at heavyweight when they other team didn't have someone at 185 or their 185 was bad enough that the JV 185 could beat him.

My crowning achievement in wrestling happened in a duel meet against South East Polk. It was later in the meet and I'd been waiting the whole night. Coach said this guy was a good match up for me. I went out there and we locked up right away. I was able to flip him and get him to the ground quick. I cinched it up and put all my weight on him. Readjusted just once and got a quick pin. Whole thing took about 15 seconds but seemed like forever. I almost matched the "Quick Pin" record for my school which was 10 or 11 seconds I believe.

In the end I was still a band geek throughout high school and college but at least I got better.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Where is @cowgirl836 ? She could load this thread up

I'd have to go back to my updates to remember any of them!

Not really a sport, but on my first date with DH, we went bowling. I had gotten 8 on my first roll but left the two on opposite ends - you know, impossible to get. Then I roll my second and toward the end it went into the gutter, womp, womp. HOWEVER, it had enough speed that at the end, it somehow bounced out of the gutter, hit the right side pin and shot it over into the other for a spare. I very calmly turned and walked back like NBD. Imagining explosions behind me and all that jazz.

Pretty sure that awesome move is what sealed the deal for DH.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Freshman basketball. Stole inbounds pass to start 2nd half, made driving reverse layup with left hand, got hammered, landed on tile floor and slid about 30 feet on my back. Never saw the ball go in the hoop, just heard the crowd. In typical Cyclone fashion, I missed the and-one.

My varsity basketball career consisted of 54 seconds vs. Cedar Rapids Regis in 1989.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I made it to states in Wrestling in 8th grade. First year wrestling too. Very first match of the tournament, the guy fell awkwardly on my knee and I dislocated it. Finished that match and lost on points, had him pinned outside the circle at one time. Ah well.

It was double elimination ish and I could've gotten top 10 or something if I won out. I iced for the rest of the day and did my second match and lost almost immediately when the guy went for that same knee that was just dislocated. Tore my MCL.

Rehabbed all Spring/Summer and then very first match freshman year of high school, I tore the MCL again. My wrestling days were over after that.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Freshman basketball. Stole inbounds pass to start 2nd half, made driving reverse layup with left hand, got hammered, landed on tile floor and slid about 30 feet on my back. Never saw the ball go in the hoop, just heard the crowd. In typical Cyclone fashion, I missed the and-one.

My varsity basketball career consisted of 54 seconds vs. Cedar Rapids Regis in 1989.

One of my kids is a bit of a legend for refusing to go in with 8 seconds left in a varsity game.

For some reason we feel compelled to sit JV kids on the varsity bench right after they play JV. They all hate it. And they might get in a few seconds if we are losing by 30 or so.

So kid tells coach he tweaked hamstring in JV game and has been sitting in his sweat for an hour and a half and doesn’t want to hurt it worse for a meaningless 8 seconds.

The whole thing sparked a discussion where all the kids said they despise the practice so now they only dress the one or two best JV guys for the varsity game.

• Winner
Reactions: oldman and BCClone

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
Was a freshman at Iowa State back in 1988. Went to an ISU hockey game, which by the way was a crazy atmosphere. Lots of drinking going on...so much so that the men's room had three lines: a line at the toilet, a line at the urinal, and a line at the sink (not for washing hands).

Between periods, I was somehow selected to go out on center ice for a giveaway contest. Three of us each got one try at shooting the puck through a hole cut in a piece of plywood they had placed in front of the goal. The plywood had three slots.

The other two contestants took their shots (slap shot style) and missed everything. I simply gave the puck a push and it sailed through one of the holes and into the goal.

The announcer said i had won $100. The crowd is chanting something on the order of "Pineclone buys the keg, Pineclone buys the keg!".

The next day i go in to collect my winnings and they tell me that since i had hit the side hole rather than the center hole, i didn't win $100. Instead, they gave me a Coors Light t-shirt and ball cap. I thought it was BS, but I wore that hat every day for the next couple years.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I first went out for Cross Country when the coach noticed my time in the gym class mile run and asked me to go out. I was almost immediately our #2 runner as a junior behind a very good senior.

My senior year we ran at a triangular on a very hilly golf course. I loved hills because it tended to eat up the competition. At the half way point I was in a lead group of 4 or 5. This was rare for me because I tended to run farther back and pick off runners in the second half. My coach was calling out splits and when I caught his eye I gave him the "OK" sign. When we got to the 1/2 mile to go point I said to the other 3 running with me "good luck to the finish, guys" to psych them out and kicked it into another gear. One guy dropped immediately and another only hung on for a little bit. The finish was a long steep hill for about the last 100 yards. At the bottom of that hill it was just me and another guy. I found still another gear going up that hill and dropped that last guy. At the finish line my coach was still in belly laughs from the "OK" sign I had given him. It was the only CC race I ever won.

At the beginning of my senior year I had said I was going to state in CC. I just missed it so I decided I was going to go out for track but I was done with distance running. I wanted to run the 200 and 400. At one early practice my CC coach - who was the girls track coach - took me aside and said if I could talk my coach into letting me run the 800 I would go to state. So I became a half miler. At our big home invitational I medaled in all 4 events I entered; the 400, 800, long jump and whatever relay the coach put me in that week. The best part of that invitational was beating the super athletic kid I had grown up with and been friends with in grade school in the 400. I ended up winning districts and just like my CC coach said I went to State.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I was pre-title IX in a 3 year high school with 1600 students and two women's sports - gymnastics & tennis. I wasn't anywhere near good enough to participate with that kind of competition for about 30 spots. :D

Reactions: cyclones500

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
One of my kids is a bit of a legend for refusing to go in with 8 seconds left in a varsity game.

For some reason we feel compelled to sit JV kids on the varsity bench right after they play JV. They all hate it. And they might get in a few seconds if we are losing by 30 or so.

So kid tells coach he tweaked hamstring in JV game and has been sitting in his sweat for an hour and a half and doesn’t want to hurt it worse for a meaningless 8 seconds.

The whole thing sparked a discussion where all the kids said they despise the practice so now they only dress the one or two best JV guys for the varsity game.
In JV basketball we were getting beat and the coach decides to clear the end of the bench and put me and another guy in with about a minute left to play. The problem is that the clock never stopped until 1 second was left on the clock. I'm sure my ears were really red going in to that game with a bunch of classmates heckling us for going into the game for just one second.

I did get a billion stat line before anyone even knew what that was, though.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
In JV basketball we were getting beat and the coach decides to clear the end of the bench and put me and another guy in with about a minute left to play. The problem is that the clock never stopped until 1 second was left on the clock. I'm sure my ears were really red going in to that game with a bunch of classmates heckling us for going into the game for just one second.

I did get a billion stat line before anyone even knew what that was, though.

Yeah I don’t see why coaches do this. In that situation, at least call a timeout at the minute mark.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I topped out at 5'2" around 8th grade, but was built for 6-on-6 basketball (they ended it shortly after middle school). I loved being a guard - my one shining moment was playing the school I'd been at the year before. One of the mean girls was who I was guarding, and she was just TERRIBLE at basketball. It was the first play of the game, and so she had the ball up in the circle to check it in. She started to pass it to start the half, and I leaped in front of the ball, intercepted it, and got it to our forwards, who scored. They lost SO bad, and all of her air just deflated after that first play.
Love this story.

And love 6-on-6 basketball! It honestly looks more fun than 5v5 to me. It would get pretty old always playing only defense, or only offense, though.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Love this story.

And love 6-on-6 basketball! It honestly looks more fun than 5v5 to me. It would get pretty old always playing only defense, or only offense, though.
We had a 6'2" girl in my class and she was a bit of a weapon sometimes getting a steal in the forward court when the opponent's guards were trying to get the ball across. She ended up playing at Iowa.

Reactions: harimad and Angie

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron