RECRUITING: Iowa State set to host four-star 2019 forward Tyler Wahl next month

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Odd that Prohm suggested they may go all guards in 2019, yet they are targeting a good number of forwards: Wahl, Carlson, Anderson, and Timme.

Carlson, Anderson, and Timme, to me, all seem to be very similar type players, and Wahl is a bit smaller, and maybe more perimeter than post. I like the idea of these types, especially if Carlson, Anderson, or Timme can be the stretch 4 style. I just found it odd Prohm suggested going all guards, when i believe we have a decent chance with a couple of these guys.

Maybe Prohm sees Wahl as a different style, and would take him, plus the first to commit from the other group, which Carlson seems like the best bet since he's a legacy recruit.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I didn't hear him saying they wanted all guards, just that it would be guard heavy. I think you get three guard type players (some combination of PG, CG, SG and SF) and then get a big.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Just what we need. A 6-7 power forward who is really 6-6 (if you listen to the PA guy announce him) and probably only 6-5 in reality.

Wahl is pretty skilled for a 6-7 Junior and not just a Post. I recently heard an interview where he is expecting to play 1-4 for his AAU team this summer. He really wants to show his Point Guard skills and his coaches think he could do that in college. I am very intrigued by his potential but I want to see him show those skills he's talking up this summer. The staff offered pretty quickly after seeing him which is a pretty good indication of the staff wanting him.
My expectation is Wahl to be more in the Point Forward Niang-ish style player rather than a 6-7 traditional Power forward. It that is how he develops he'd be a nice mismatch piece.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Wahl is pretty skilled for a 6-7 Junior and not just a Post. I recently heard an interview where he is expecting to play 1-4 for his AAU team this summer. He really wants to show his Point Guard skills and his coaches think he could do that in college. I am very intrigued by his potential but I want to see him show those skills he's talking up this summer. The staff offered pretty quickly after seeing him which is a pretty good indication of the staff wanting him.
My expectation is Wahl to be more in the Point Forward Niang-ish style player rather than a 6-7 traditional Power forward. It that is how he develops he'd be a nice mismatch piece.

Good info! thanks!

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Just what we need. A 6-7 power forward who is really 6-6 (if you listen to the PA guy announce him) and probably only 6-5 in reality.
source.gif

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

It's also possible that his output on his high school team didn't match his potential as a college recruit. Not everyone gets to score 40 points a game against bad high school players every game.

Also those all state teams are usually based on local media right? They might have a bias for upperclassmen who they've seen for 4 years over a younger guy who has more potential.

Our staff and national recruiting services seem to think he's pretty damn good.

• Agree
Reactions: tobya8

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
It's also possible that his output on his high school team didn't match his potential as a college recruit. Not everyone gets to score 40 points a game against bad high school players every game.

Also those all state teams are usually based on local media right? They might have a bias for upperclassmen who they've seen for 4 years over a younger guy who has more potential.

Our staff and national recruiting services seem to think he's pretty damn good.

7 of the 10 1st/2nd teamers were seniors. Suggs a sophomore and Hurt/Wahl juniors.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
I didn't hear him saying they wanted all guards, just that it would be guard heavy. I think you get three guard type players (some combination of PG, CG, SG and SF) and then get a big.

I agree with this. I think Wahl or a similar type SF/stretch 4 could be the "big" and not so much a true 5 like Conditt/Lard.

LLCool's analysis on Wahl is spot on. He looks very skilled... can handle, shoot from the outside, and is a really good passer for a 6'7" guy. In the highlight below (& Jared linked in article) he makes some excellent passes and shows enough quickness on defense to stick with Tre Jones off the bounce and block his shot (40 second mark). He's versatile.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I agree with this. I think Wahl or a similar type SF/stretch 4 could be the "big" and not so much a true 5 like Conditt/Lard.

LLCool's analysis on Wahl is spot on. He looks very skilled... can handle, shoot from the outside, and is a really good passer for a 6'7" guy. In the highlight below (& Jared linked in article) he makes some excellent passes and shows enough quickness on defense to stick with Tre Jones off the bounce and block his shot (40 second mark). He's versatile.

First time I have watched him and has some impressive versatility and looks like he plays hard on D as well. Definitely would love to have this kid.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

It's probably just because he's white, but he reminds me of a young Matt Thomas. Possibly taller as well. I would be very happy with another one of him.