Oklahoman's Berry Tramel talks Big 12 experiences ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
AMES, Iowa

Stadium experience: Jack Trice Stadium is just a patch of grass with concrete stands on each side and a glittering football complex in one end zone. But still, it's a great atmosphere, thanks to the Cyclone fans. With no football tradition, Iowa State people still show up and cheer loudly. Even on cold days, the tailgating is supreme. Ten minutes before kickoff, you'll think the crowd is scant. Then here come the Cyclone faithful, filling up the stadium.

Where to eat: No Big 12 town is as closely associated with a single restaurant as Ames is with Hickory Park. You don't think of barbeque and Iowa as any kind of tandem, but it works. Hickory Park opened in 1970 and quickly became a Big Eight tradition that continues today. Last time I was there, it was Halloween weekend, and the staff – and a good many of the patrons – were in costume. It was grand fun.

What to do: Not a lot. I love Ames and I love Iowa, but everything in Ames revolves around the university. If you need something besides the ballgame, make the drive to Iowa, pull off I-35 in Madison County and visit the bridges that Clint Eastwood made famous.

Why go? This is a little like the West Virginia trip, in that you get the feeling of being somewhere different. On the 30-mile drive from Des Moines to Ames sits an I-35 mileage sign that reads “Minneapolis 230.” When you care how far it is to Minneapolis, you know you're in a strange land. The game-day experience is similar. It's not Tennessee or Texas. But it's a place where they care about football even when they've been given little reason to care.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5592719?access=5bffb851a4300b6763cbd27101dc18a9

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Or spend some time in Des Moines. This makes us sound like we are a bunch of ******* bumpkins.

"If you need something besides the ballgame, make the drive to Iowa, pull off I-35 in Madison County and visit the bridges that Clint Eastwood made famous."

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Last year in May/June Trammel was writing about realignment and impending demise of the Big12. He seems to me written journalism's version of a radio shock jock.

IMO it is always a pretty silly to criticize places like Ames, Iowa City, Manhatten, Stillwater, etc. as college towns. Of course the colleges rule the town. While a college town doesn't have the same "amenities" as metro areas with a college like TCU, OU or Texas, there are some awesome community features of typical college towns. aka small town feel with great arts, entertainment and educational experiences for families that live there.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Norman yes, Stillwater no. Stillwater is in the sticks, but it is a great town.
Stillwater is a good college town but I forgot what it was like to be in bars that allow smoking.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Berry has always had a soft spot in his heart for the Little Apple. He's written about it before, the Norman Rockwell town. But overall, I thought he made a strong case for Big 12 cities, sans Austin, which made me chuckle. Everyone goes gaga over Austin. What the hell, you want a big city go to the Big Apple or The City, why stop in the flyover zone for that? Don't claim to be a 'college town' either.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Berry has always had a soft spot in his heart for the Little Apple. He's written about it before, the Norman Rockwell town. But overall, I thought he made a strong case for Big 12 cities, sans Austin, which made me chuckle. Everyone goes gaga over Austin. What the hell, you want a big city go to the Big Apple or The City, why stop in the flyover zone for that? Don't claim to be a 'college town.'
I’ve been to an ISU game in Austin and had a blast. Way, way, way better experience than TCU or A&M.