Ku fires athletics director, Dr. Sheahon Zenger ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
http://chancellor.ku.edu/news/2018/may21

This morning I met with Director of Athletics Sheahon Zenger and informed him that I am relieving him of his duties, effective immediately.

Sheahon has been a loyal Jayhawk, and our athletics department has improved in many areas under his leadership. But Athletics continues to face a number of challenges, and progress in key areas has been elusive. To achieve the level of success we need and expect, I have determined a change in leadership is necessary.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Look out, Mr. Beaty.

I can see why they stuck with Beaty for one more year. They want to shake off the trend of firing coaches super early in their careers. Giving him three full recruiting cycles makes some sense.
No one they were going to get this last year was going to be a huge boost. Let Beaty prove that it was not just a case of not winning with other coaches recruits and that there is a future for KU football. If he doesn't show any improvement after 4 years you should easily be able to fire him and start over.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I would say the only way Beaty keeps his job is to somehow win 6 games this year. Probably not gonna happen, but they should at least let him finish out the year instead of giving him the axe early in the season. Then, whoever KU decides to hire as AD will want to start over with his own guy for football.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Whoever takes that job will have their work cut out for them. If they can turn the football program around before 2024, that person will be known as a miracle worker.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
At this point, you pretty much have to keep him on for the 2018-19 season. Fortunately, whoever they get next will probably have the same fate as the last 3 guys.
Yep. Beaty has loaded the next coach up with lowly rated JUCO layers without a good core of 4-5 year players.

This seems to have been overdue. Zenger was a disaster at hiring football coaches.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
At this point, you pretty much have to keep him on for the 2018-19 season. Fortunately, whoever they get next will probably have the same fate as the last 3 guys.

It doesn't have to be that way. And if Beatty gets fired after this year, the person getting the job will be in a better position than him. Weiss almost single handedly destroyed the football program. If I remember right, there was only something like 60 scholarship players when Beatty arrived. That takes time to recover from.

• Optimistic
Reactions: JM4CY

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Yep. Beaty has loaded the next coach up with lowly rated JUCO layers without a good core of 4-5 year players.

This seems to have been overdue. Zenger was a disaster at hiring football coaches.

He was very good apparently, at giving them contracts that they would have to pay well after he was forced to fire them. Probably not a surprising move. Add in the "new" recruiting problems with basketball and game over.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
It doesn't have to be that way. And if Beatty gets fired after this year, the person getting the job will be in a better position than him. Weiss almost single handedly destroyed the football program. If I remember right, there was only something like 60 scholarship players when Beatty arrived. That takes time to recover from.
I believe somebody made a chart of the players and class balance of KU football. It's still in a horrible position.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I would say the only way Beaty keeps his job is to somehow win 6 games this year. Probably not gonna happen, but they should at least let him finish out the year instead of giving him the axe early in the season. Then, whoever KU decides to hire as AD will want to start over with his own guy for football.

I'd bet he'd be pretty safe with 5 wins even. I'm not saying he gets there though.

• Agree
Reactions: flycy and Cydkar

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I believe somebody made a chart of the players and class balance of KU football. It's still in a horrible position.
Selling less than 10,000 season tickets isn't helping matter either...granted, winning can turn that around quick. Imagine if they didn't have the Adidas basketball $'s rolling in...

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Selling less than 10,000 season tickets isn't helping matter either...granted, winning can turn that around quick. Imagine if they didn't have the Adidas basketball $'s rolling in...

That more than likely prompted this move. It's tough paying 3 football coaches for 2 wins.

L

LincolnWay187

Did KU end up getting those highly recruited kids out of louisiana for football?