Nice pickup for Chris Beard & Texas Tech

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I thought his last line said something about how eager he was to "get out" of Lubbock!

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Chris Beard will move on in a year or two and this whole Texas Tech fad will wear out.

Maybe Mooney and an elite 8 appearance just might get their average attendance to 9,000 people per game.

It really is sad. What Drew has done deserves a sellout everynight.

Scott Drew hasn't moved on from Baylor. I wouldn't count on Beard moving on so fast either.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Scott Drew hasn't moved on from Baylor. I wouldn't count on Beard moving on so fast either.
Beard is a Texas guy thru and thru. The only jobs I can see him leaving for would be UT or a blue blood caliber school.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Beard is a Texas guy thru and thru. The only jobs I can see him leaving for would be UT or a blue blood caliber school.

Beard is a UT grad and if he takes Tech to the 2nd weekend again in 2019 and Shaka underachieves (again) i wonder if the powers in Austin would set their sights on Beard.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
This guy can really shoot. But I wonder how well he guards guys like Wigginton and Brown? Playing the J'rabbits is not the same test as the J'hawks.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Beard is a UT grad and if he takes Tech to the 2nd weekend again in 2019 and Shaka underachieves (again) i wonder if the powers in Austin would set their sights on Beard.

I doubt Texas boosters will be to keen on taking a Tech coach. Beard is a very good coach and would be a good fit but isn't the "sexy" hire that a guy like Shocka was. I just think the UT donors will want an NBA or top 10 coach and will pay for it. That assumes Shocka doesn't get it together, he is getting a lot of talent and at least to the tournament.
Let's also remember Beard had committed to coaching UNLV for a week before taking the Tx Tech job. It was a bad look and he while a P5 job it wasn't a desirable job due to location and Tubby's past roster. Beard was one of the few good coaches that wants to be in Lubbuck due to his family and history at the school. I am not saying he'll never leave but it'll take a major offer he can refuse to leave Texas and I really doubt that will be anytime soon.

Hope Mooney does well at TT, would rather not see him playing against ISU next year. That said, the fit at ISU for his desired minutes and the staff wanting a sit out transfer just wasn't right. It probably worked out for both parties in the end.

• Agree
Reactions: KillBilly and Messi

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I doubt Texas boosters will be to keen on taking a Tech coach. Beard is a very good coach and would be a good fit but isn't the "sexy" hire that a guy like Shocka was. I just think the UT donors will want an NBA or top 10 coach and will pay for it. That assumes Shocka doesn't get it together, he is getting a lot of talent and at least to the tournament.
Let's also remember Beard had committed to coaching UNLV for a week before taking the Tx Tech job. It was a bad look and he while a P5 job it wasn't a desirable job due to location and Tubby's past roster. Beard was one of the few good coaches that wants to be in Lubbuck due to his family and history at the school. I am not saying he'll never leave but it'll take a major offer he can refuse to leave Texas and I really doubt that will be anytime soon.

Hope Mooney does well at TT, would rather not see him playing against ISU next year. That said, the fit at ISU for his desired minutes and the staff wanting a sit out transfer just wasn't right. It probably worked out for both parties in the end.

Why so, if he's winning? I understand they have egos but they did hire a Houston coach for their football team.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
I think it's kind of interesting that he was a student assistant for Tom Penders as an undergrad at UT but not a player. I always kind of assume coaches played in college at some level.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I think it's kind of interesting that he was a student assistant for Tom Penders as an undergrad at UT but not a player. I always kind of assume coaches played in college at some level.

Prohm played 1 year of d3 ball then was a student manager at Alabama.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Why so, if he's winning? I understand they have egos but they did hire a Houston coach for their football team.

Yes but that Houston coach was one of the hottest 3 coaches on the market, after Saban passed they beat out LSU for his services, actually a lot of parallels to the Shocka hire.
I don't think Beard will get high enough on the pecking order list to get a UT offer over more name possibilities.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
If Beard continues to win at TxT, he'll end up at Texas, assuming Smart fails which seems likely. UT would like nothing better than to show TxT as the little brother.