Horton-Tucker selected to attend USA U18 training camp

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
This is obviously great news, as it indicates just how good of a player he is. I will let others talk about the implications. I will offer my take-away, though: if he is selected for the team, Bill Self might know more about Horton-Tucker at the beginning of the season than CSP.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
This is obviously great news, as it indicates just how good of a player he is. I will let others talk about the implications. I will offer my take-away, though: if he is selected for the team, Bill Self might know more about Horton-Tucker at the beginning of the season than CSP.

Does this mean he will get a new car if selected as well?

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Not worried in the slightest. If anything knowing he is ISU commit increases his chances on making the team.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Do not think that the coach selects the team, USA Basketball typically has a separate group that does the evaluation and selection.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
This is nothing but positive. Self is an elite coach, and would have had enough of a scouting report on THT already.

Reactions: isutrevman

cyclonestans

Dec 20, 2013
Iowa
Do not think that the coach selects the team, USA Basketball typically has a separate group that does the evaluation and selection.

That may be true but I guarantee they at least consult with the coach before final decisions.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
That may be true but I guarantee they at least consult with the coach before final decisions.

I have heard Coach Fennelly talk about his experience with this. He said the Head Coach will typically tell them the style he / she wants to play so they can somewhat match the personnel to that and then at the end they will sometimes allow the coach to have the final say on one player that they want to be a part of the team - a lot of time this is a "glue" player.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclonestans

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Hmm... I'll assume Jeff ment a coma instead of a period when identifiying THT as a prospect impressing. Either way Talen putting in work.

@jeffborzello Some of the more impressive guys from the first two USAB U18 workouts: Kamaka Hepa (Texas), D.J. Carton (2019), Quentin Grimes (Kansas). Talen Horton-Tucker (Iowa State) looks slimmer.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron