KU Football sets record for lack of season ticket sales

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ew-low-in-2017-down-over-6-million-from-2009/

Kansas football ticket sales hit new low in 2017, down over $6 million from 2009

If you’re trying to figure out who the worst Power Five football program is, chances are high that Kansas is on the shortlist, if not on the absolute bottom. Such is the case when you haven’t been to a bowl game in a decade and haven’t won more than three games since 2009.

Appropriately, interest from Jayhawks fans in the team has dropped like a rock. In new figures obtained by the Lawrence Journal-World, we now know just how much: ticket sales dipped to a new low of $3.4 million this past season. That’s a drop of some 65% from their peak of $9.5 million in 2009 and a nearly $6 million shortfall as a result.

Needless to say, that is not a great sign and certainly adds to the pressure that David Beaty is feeling going into what amounts to a make-or-break fourth season in Lawrence.

I guess there’s hope from Jayhawks brass that if you build it, they will come? At Kansas however, that might be a tall task.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ew-low-in-2017-down-over-6-million-from-2009/

Kansas football ticket sales hit new low in 2017, down over $6 million from 2009

If you’re trying to figure out who the worst Power Five football program is, chances are high that Kansas is on the shortlist, if not on the absolute bottom. Such is the case when you haven’t been to a bowl game in a decade and haven’t won more than three games since 2009.

Appropriately, interest from Jayhawks fans in the team has dropped like a rock. In new figures obtained by the Lawrence Journal-World, we now know just how much: ticket sales dipped to a new low of $3.4 million this past season. That’s a drop of some 65% from their peak of $9.5 million in 2009 and a nearly $6 million shortfall as a result.

Needless to say, that is not a great sign and certainly adds to the pressure that David Beaty is feeling going into what amounts to a make-or-break fourth season in Lawrence.

I guess there’s hope from Jayhawks brass that if you build it, they will come? At Kansas however, that might be a tall task.
holy **** thats awful

the vampire may have a bigger affect over them than I anticipated

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
What is the comparison at ISU? I could quickly ball park 40,000 seats at $400 per seat...$16,000,000. Yeah, I know some are the hillside CyKids at $50 or $99 and others are the $199 seats, but those are offset by $750 (or higher) SEZ or Jack Trice tix. Holy crap...that's a difference of $12.5M...plus you figure that donations are down too.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've been hearing that for the big ticket basketball seats, a football season ticket purchase is required.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I've been hearing that for the big ticket basketball seats, a football season ticket purchase is required.

That's the only reason I can think of they've even sold 3.4 million in season tickets. Seriously though, what in the world would make you think you need tickets to all those games?

• Funny
Reactions: knowlesjam

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
And it is a fraction of the basketball season ticket. I looked at their website. Football Season tickets in the Touchdown Club (gets you a seat in climate controlled comfort, all the beer, wine, and food you can drink/eat) is $1,850 per season ticket. Basketball Season tickets in the Courtside Club (gets you a courtside seat, all the beer, wine, and food) is $18,500 plus the cost of a season ticket. That's 10 times the cost!!!!

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
That's the only reason I can think of they've even sold 3.4 million in season tickets. Seriously though, what in the world would make you think you need tickets to all those games?
You want to watch Iowa State and other good football teams.

• Friendly
Reactions: SoapyCy

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
2016 ISU tickets sales were $15.6 million total. Ku basketball alone was $15 million. Meaning the average cost of MBB ticket in AFH is one grand. And that's just the ticket, not the donation required to buy it.

Last edited:

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
For comparison, Iowa State football ticket revenue in 2016, CMC first year, was just under $11 million. I am sure 2017 was higher and with price increases 2018 should be even bigger.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
To be fair, I thought that during the 2nd half of the Paul Rhoads era.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
And yet, they are pouring so much money into the stadium. Is this just an Athletic program spending money on football because you can only spend so much on basketball?

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
It makes sense - there is zero incentive to buy season tix at face value when you can buy individual games on the secondary market for much lower than face.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
And yet, they are pouring so much money into the stadium. Is this just an Athletic program spending money on football because you can only spend so much on basketball?

Preparation for the possible next round of realignment. It's a great time for our football program to be ascending along with the facility improvements. We also need to do our part to keep KU down and take advantage of KSU & Baylor's decline.