What music are you listening to right now?

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Working late made me feel like Kings of Crunk. I’ve now meandered to Wolf Alice.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Colter Wall and Tyler Childers are a couple recent finds that are great. They put a modern twist on classic country. Still find myself listening to a lot of Devil Makes 3.

Anyone who has Amazon Prime should check out the Amazon Music App. It’s free with a Prime account. It’s streaming music from their library. It is different and better than Pandora and iHeart. You can search and play specific songs, albums, and artists. Or do themed playlists with unlimited skips. Or create your own playlists from their vast library.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Right now I'm listening to the Queen album "A Night at the Opera" from start to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL94gOvpr5yt3gZt5_Isgg02ighISn66LH
600x600bf.jpg

But I'll probably listen to some stuff in this thread after that.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I stumbled on this youtube channel and found the band Grotto. A lot of TOOL influenced sprinkled into their stoner metal jams.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Colter Wall and Tyler Childers are a couple recent finds that are great. They put a modern twist on classic country. Still find myself listening to a lot of Devil Makes 3.

Anyone who has Amazon Prime should check out the Amazon Music App. It’s free with a Prime account. It’s streaming music from their library. It is different and better than Pandora and iHeart. You can search and play specific songs, albums, and artists. Or do themed playlists with unlimited skips. Or create your own playlists from their vast library.

If you like Tyler Childers, make sure to hit up Saturday of Hinterland this summer!

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Orla Gartland’s new single right now. Very Grace Potter-ish feel, and I’ve been obsessed over her as a musician for a while now.

Also fairly recently, I’ve loved this song by Cullah called “The Fallow Fellow.”

Two completely different songs on opposite sides of the spectrum, but love them both.

Reactions: Angie

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I love Black Sabbath (Ozzy) and there's been a lot of nostalgia around them the last few years since they're retiring and they reunited (sans Bill Ward which is very sad).

But serious Sabbath fans are typically dismissive of the last two Ozzy records, Technical Ecstacy (1976) and Never Say Die! (1978). Which I think is due in large part to the bands admission that they were basically too ****ed up during those years to do good work and Ozzy's admission that by that time he was planning Blizzard of Ozz.

In fact I've never owned them until about a month ago and I'm a 25 year fan. While some tunes are head scratchers more than half are really great hard rockers that are worthy of the same respect as anything on the first six albums. Both side one track one songs, Back Street Kids and Never Say Die! are classic Sabbath rippers. I could go on but I should probably just start a thread.

TLDR late '70's Black Sabbath

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I had been on a Classic Rock kick for a while this morning I needed to hear something different.

I guess these guys could be considered classic rock now since their first EP came out in 1981, but I started listening to them more in the 90s.

This was my first song of the day and what I woke my kids up with.
The video is a bit out there but the music is a kick in the face!

This was the first Sonic Youth song I remember hearing. It was on the Pump Up the Volume soundtrack (which was epic) and it introduced me to a completely different style of music than I was aware of.

I followed it up with some of my other all time Sonic Youth Favorites. All off different albums coincidentally:

This one caused teenage HipHopp to fall completely in love with Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill.

This one ended up on the Guitar Hero 5 song list, which was pretty awesome to play. Still one of my all time favorite SY songs.

And this one is a cover of a Carpenters song from a tribute compilation album. It was also on the Juno soundtrack later on. The video is a full on trip.

And finally, one of their bigger hit singles and one I found later on because it came out when I was 9.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
And one more for good measure of yet ANOTHER album, that's six different favorite songs off six different albums. I believe this is their highest charting single as well. I could go on with my Sonic Youth musical dissertation for a while but I'll leave it here.

Reactions: DeftOne

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Dramatic realization today. Kim Gordon, from Sonic Youth, who I had a crush on of course, is only 3 years younger than my mom. My mom is decidedly NOT that cool.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Dramatic realization today. Kim Gordon, from Sonic Youth, who I had a crush on of course, is only 3 years younger than my mom. My mom is decidedly NOT that cool.
Ha!

If you dig SY you gotta check out Thurston Moore's 1995 solo project Psychic Hearts. Steve Shelley drums on it too. One of my all time favs.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp