Condi's report due Wed - here's what could be done?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Josephine R. Potuto, former member of the NCAA Division I infractions committee and Richard H. Larson Professor of Constitutional Law at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln

Any effective solution to the scandal … has to be focused on limiting, if not eliminating, the nonscholastic influence.

What the Rice commission should recommend that the NCAA do: No. 1, end summer recruiting. The summer tournaments enhance the status and power of nonscholastic influences (agents, runners, apparel companies, etc.) that, in turn, encourage high school -- and even junior high school -- prospects to compete in nonscholastic leagues.

Two, make men’s basketball a one-semester sport and change March Madness to May Madness. Men’s basketball players are at the lowest end of academic performance of all NCAA athletes. Yet we pull them out of classes in the middle of an academic semester. I know the financial concerns. But this would be the strongest message the NCAA could send that the first priority is the academic and overall well-being of student athletes.

Three, revise the approach to agents. Currently, the “agents” who engage with prospects do so illicitly. That means reputable agents stand clear. That drives the activity underground. Better to permit agents, and then police the excesses that may occur. Four, revise the enforcement arm so that it can be more adversarial and more aggressive (or outsource enforcement regarding amateurism issues).

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2018/03/27/experts-weigh-changes-ncaa-basketball

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Josephine R. Potuto, former member of the NCAA Division I infractions committee and Richard H. Larson Professor of Constitutional Law at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln

Any effective solution to the scandal … has to be focused on limiting, if not eliminating, the nonscholastic influence.

What the Rice commission should recommend that the NCAA do: No. 1, end summer recruiting. The summer tournaments enhance the status and power of nonscholastic influences (agents, runners, apparel companies, etc.) that, in turn, encourage high school -- and even junior high school -- prospects to compete in nonscholastic leagues.

Two, make men’s basketball a one-semester sport and change March Madness to May Madness. Men’s basketball players are at the lowest end of academic performance of all NCAA athletes. Yet we pull them out of classes in the middle of an academic semester. I know the financial concerns. But this would be the strongest message the NCAA could send that the first priority is the academic and overall well-being of student athletes.

Three, revise the approach to agents. Currently, the “agents” who engage with prospects do so illicitly. That means reputable agents stand clear. That drives the activity underground. Better to permit agents, and then police the excesses that may occur. Four, revise the enforcement arm so that it can be more adversarial and more aggressive (or outsource enforcement regarding amateurism issues).

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2018/03/27/experts-weigh-changes-ncaa-basketball

Horrible ideas. Why Rice was chosen is beyond me. Apparently, letting the worst attack on American soil since Pearl Harbor happen on your watch, not to mention being involved in the mess that was Iraq, makes you an expert on college football teams and college basketball recruiting. Who knew?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
yuck

Nonscholastic influences are going to exist regardless of recruiting. This will harm legitimate recruiting way more.

One semester? The breaks allow time for finals and time with families, if they choose. You'd be cramming everything into one semester and asking the athletes to sacrifice everything for one semester. Additionally, you're essentially asking the NBA to move it's draft since the evaluation period, declaring period, etc would be nonexistent if the season didn't end until May.

• Winner

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
don-quijote-de-la-mancha.jpg

Rapplegt

Apr 7, 2006

Horrible ideas. Why Rice was chosen is beyond me. Apparently, letting the worst attack on American soil since Pearl Harbor happen on your watch, not to mention being involved in the mess that was Iraq, makes you an expert on college football teams and college basketball recruiting. Who knew?

Condi Rice is one of the smartest, wisest and most respected educators and leaders in the country. She is also associated with the university that consistently wins the annual award for the most successful D-1 college athletic program. She's a noted sports fanatic. We have no idea what her commission will recommend. The "report" cited in this thread has little to do with the commission. It consists of responses from less knowledgeable sports/education professionals who are not on the commission. The magazine that solicited their input probably asked a wide ranging group and selected responses that were at least somewhat radical to generate interest. BTW. Rice hardly let "the worst attack on American soil since Pearl Harbor happen on your watch." She was Secretary of State. And a good one.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
The "report" cited in this thread has little to do with the commission.
Actually, that's the subject of the article. And the OP quote is from a lawyer at UNL who served on the NCAA infractions committee. I can hardly think of anyone beyond the committee itself more qualified to speak on the subject. But I do agree on your comments regarding Ms. Rice.

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
#1. ALL new NCAA coaching contracts must contain a clause that requires them to give back 90% of their pay and bonuses if they are caught in a cheating scandal. And they are no longer allowed to coach at any NCAA institution for X years.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Items 1 and 2 have to be the most pointless and ridiculous ideas I have seen on this topic yet. And that's saying something.

• Winner

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Still, doing something about AAU ties is completely appropriate. It's the sewer that drains most all of this skullduggery. Bob Knight called for reform back in the '90's.
This does nothing to eliminate AAU ties. AAU would just move to the school year and kids would stop playing HS hoops. HS hoops doesnt provide enough reps or enough competition against top tier opponents to prep recruits for college hoops and then the NBA.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Condi Rice is one of the smartest, wisest and most respected educators and leaders in the country. She is also associated with the university that consistently wins the annual award for the most successful D-1 college athletic program. She's a noted sports fanatic. We have no idea what her commission will recommend. The "report" cited in this thread has little to do with the commission. It consists of responses from less knowledgeable sports/education professionals who are not on the commission. The magazine that solicited their input probably asked a wide ranging group and selected responses that were at least somewhat radical to generate interest. BTW. Rice hardly let "the worst attack on American soil since Pearl Harbor happen on your watch." She was Secretary of State. And a good one.
I fully agree and I'll also venture to say that she's the best pianist among all of our country's former Secretaries of State.

Reactions: ISU71

kcbob79clone

Come on, I come to CF to get away from this kinda crap. Take it to another site or at least another forum here.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and ISU71

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Well...she was National Security Advisor when 9/11 occurred...one duty of that position is to ensure the nation's safety. She became Secretary of State after Colin Powell departed from that position at the end of W's first term.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
I read a while back that College Presidents would prefer Basketball be a one semester sport. .

Why can't the NCAA put back some of the billions they make off basketball and run the summer leagues or at least license and monitor them. Heck bidding out the sponsorship for the leagues would probably make them money.

• Funny
Reactions: randomfan44

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I read a while back that College Presidents would prefer Basketball be a one semester sport. .

Why can't the NCAA put back some of the billions they make off basketball and run the summer leagues or at least license and monitor them. Heck bidding out the sponsorship for the leagues would probably make them money.

Yeah, let the NCAA make money off of HS kids.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
This does nothing to eliminate AAU ties. AAU would just move to the school year and kids would stop playing HS hoops. HS hoops doesnt provide enough reps or enough competition against top tier opponents to prep recruits for college hoops and then the NBA.
Simple rule that coaches are not allowed to attend third party games beyond those held by high schools. It does everything to eliminate these AAU cesspools that feed the crooks.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Simple rule that coaches are not allowed to attend third party games beyond those held by high schools. It does everything to eliminate these AAU cesspools that feed the crooks.

1) that won't happen.
2) AAU isn't inherently bad.
3) HS coaches can take money
4) Shoe companies can sponsor HS teams.
5) HS games are happening during the basketball season. Makes it much harder for coaches to go out and recruit.

Not really getting to the root of the problem. Dumb NCAA rules.