Friday OT #1 - Long Live Rock

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Round-about '82, some guys from my high school were getting tickets to a Kiss show in Sigh-Ox City, they asked if I wanted in ... That was at least 3 years after my big Kiss-fan phase, but I still wanted to go. My mom nixed the idea; she probably thought there would be Ruffians About.

I didn't know you were in this movie!!

• Funny
Reactions: cyclones500

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Please tell me they didn't play the same song twice. I refuse to believe it. That's lame as hell.

You bet your ass they did. I still get flashbacks every time I hear that song and I have to turn it.

Doesn't help that my girlfriend who I went with liked that song, adding to the bad memories.

:shudder:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Went to somebody's friends' 'startup' bands back in high school that were OK and really didn't become a regular concert goer until post-college.

First 'show' was Everclear in college. I had always liked their earlyish albums in junior high/high school. That said, they were horrible live.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Huey Lewis and the News circa '91-92 at Hilton. Shows in venues that big are just not my thing. Minneapolis had (has?) a lot of smaller clubs that are much better to see a show at. I saw a few really good shows at First Ave. Big Head Todd and the Monsters comes to mind. Also saw Dave Matthews Band in a dinky place in Mpls just before they blew up.

Even though I don't care for shows at big venues, I saw Tom Petty at the Target Center (circa '97), and I have to say that was a pretty good show (RIP Tom).

Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Went to somebody's friends' 'startup' bands back in high school that were OK and really didn't become a regular concert goer until post-college.

First 'show' was Everclear in college. I had always liked their earlyish albums in junior high/high school. That said, they were horrible live.

Bad live bands are the worst.

I've been lucky that most of my concerts have been good live bands. 311 is great live. Incubus was also quite good live as well as MUSE.

I'm cheap so I don't go to a lot of concerts. So I'm picky about the ones I do go to.

Good live bands I've seen:
311 multiple times
Linkin Park
Incubus
The Urge
Aerosmith at Hilton
MUSE
Silversun Pickups
Foster the People
Passion Pit
Fitz and the Tantrums

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Huey Lewis and the News circa '91-92 at Hilton. Shows in venues that big are just not my thing. Minneapolis had (has?) a lot of smaller clubs that are much better to see a show at. I saw a few really good shows at First Ave. Big Head Todd and the Monsters comes to mind. Also saw Dave Matthews Band in a dinky place in Mpls just before they blew up.

Even though I don't care for shows at big venues, I saw Tom Petty at the Target Center (circa '97), and I have to say that was a pretty good show (RIP Tom).

I'm surprised Huey was still getting venues that big at that time. I saw him when I was in Jr High in the early 80s. Don't recall where, probably CR.
My first live band was Alabama at the Iowa State Fair. Early 80's again. Went with friend and his parents and don't remember anything about it. No, I don't listen to either of those groups now:)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I've been lucky that most of my concerts have been good live bands. 311 is great live. Incubus was also quite good live as well as MUSE.

I'm cheap so I don't go to a lot of concerts. So I'm picky about the ones I do go to.

311 multiple times
Linkin Park
Incubus
The Urge
Aerosmith at Hilton
MUSE
Silversun Pickups
Foster the People
Passion Pit
Fitz and the Tantrums

I found seeing lesser known artists/bands for far lesser money was usually a better experience than big arena bands. It's rare that I go see someone that's 'made it' unless it's a bucket list kind of deal or for really cheap/free.

Sometimes the bigger someone gets, the less they focus on the music and it feels forced. If I were to go to shows in high school it would have been the likes of Stained/Korn/Limp Bizkit and I'm glad I didn't. After the anger wears off you'd better bring it musically and they didn't for me.

Saw Incubus once and they were good.

• Winner

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Which reminds me, the second "concert" I saw was the Bloodhound Gang at some dump in Omaha. One of their songs featured an extended repeat of the lyric "The drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm!"

Not proud of that one, either.

Sokol Auditorium, Nerf Herder opened? That was a great show :)

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I found seeing lesser known artists/bands for far lesser money was usually a better experience than big arena bands. It's rare that I go see someone that's 'made it' unless it's a bucket list kind of deal or for really cheap/free.

Sometimes the bigger someone gets, the less they focus on the music and it feels forced. If I were to go to shows in high school it would have been the likes of Stained/Korn/Limp Bizkit and I'm glad I didn't. After the anger wears off you'd better bring it musically and they didn't for me.

Saw Incubus once and they were good.

Yeah, most of my best concerts were small venues. Val Air Ballroom a few times, outside of bars, a bar in MPLS. I paid a bit to much to see MUSE in a big venue, but I really loved them at the time so it was worth it. And Silversun Pickups opened for them and they rocked it. I was impressed with how well they filled up a big venue.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
I'm surprised Huey was still getting venues that big at that time. I saw him when I was in Jr High in the early 80s. Don't recall where, probably CR.
My first live band was Alabama at the Iowa State Fair. Early 80's again. Went with friend and his parents and don't remember anything about it. No, I don't listen to either of those groups now:)

You got me to wondering if I was really off, but I looked it up. It was Aug 28,1991 at Hilton. You are correct though in a way: That show seems to be the only one at that kind of venue on that tour.

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/concert-map/huey-lewis-and-the-news-23d6dcc3.html?year=1991

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

311 multiple times
Linkin Park
Incubus
The Urge
Aerosmith at Hilton
MUSE
Silversun Pickups
Foster the People
Passion Pit
Fitz and the Tantrums

311 and The Urge are great live, I've seen both twice and they were worth it.

I've had two live shows that ended up being great that I didn't expect at all and am almost embarrassed admitting to.

First was when I went to Meatloaf with my family. That was an entertaining show as it's just as much a rock opera as it is a concert. Not really a fan of his music but he's one hell of a showman.
Second was when I went to Frontier Days in Cheyenne in 2002 to see Pat Green. Vince Gill was playing before him and I didn't want to see him at all. He mainly steered clear of his gospel stuff and mostly covered jam band songs and it was more like a Phish concert than a country concert. I will never buy an album of his but the man can play and get's into it live. Plus it gave me some extra time with all the girls there to see Pat Green.

Edit. The more I think of it Vince Gill might have been after Pat Green. I was really drunk.

• Winner

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, most of my best concerts were small venues. Val Air Ballroom a few times, outside of bars, a bar in MPLS. I paid a bit to much to see MUSE in a big venue, but I really loved them at the time so it was worth it. And Silversun Pickups opened for them and they rocked it. I was impressed with how well they filled up a big venue.

I'd think MUSE would do well in a big venue.

First time seeing Wilco was just over ten years ago and I think they were just getting used to playing a bigger venue. Sounded great and played fine but they lacked any punch. A few years later I saw them in the same spot and they were much more lively. Might have all been on Tweedy though too, haha.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Oh oh, I forgot another great live band I've seen as well as a solo project from that group.

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones are tremendous live and Victor Wooten's solo project was phenomenal as well. He is the greatest jazz bassist to ever live in my opinion.

With the surge of interest in folk related music, particularly banjo, I wish more people would recognize Bela Fleck and Flecktones.

Talk about soulful and beautiful music. I can zone out and relax to Bela for hours.

Reactions: VeloClone

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'd think MUSE would do well in a big venue.

First time seeing Wilco was just over ten years ago and I think they were just getting used to playing a bigger venue. Sounded great and played fine but they lacked any punch. A few years later I saw them in the same spot and they were much more lively. Might have all been on Tweedy though too, haha.

MUSE was great! I actually saw them in Chicago AND Minneapolis on their Resistance tour. They had a monstrous setup and it was really well put together. Unfortunately their music tailed off a bit after Resistance for me. They got a little too pop oriented after being on the Twilight soundtracks. I think they've made a return to their older style but they lost me a bit.