Molly's Game

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Anyone seen this movie? We watched it yesterday. It's about a woman named Molly Bloom (sister of former Colorado WR and Olympic Skier Jeremy Bloom) who was on the verge of being a World Class skier and then started hosting high buy in poker games for celebrities (movie stars, athletes, powerful business men, etc.). It's a really good movie and cooler because it's based on a true story.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Anyone seen this movie? We watched it yesterday. It's about a woman named Molly Bloom (sister of former Colorado WR and Olympic Skier Jeremy Bloom) who was on the verge of being a World Class skier and then started hosting high buy in poker games for celebrities (movie stars, athletes, powerful business men, etc.). It's a really good movie and cooler because it's based on a true story.

I love love love this movie. I've seen it three times, and could watch it again.

Some of the parts are downright painful to watch though. I think you know what I'm talking about.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
The wife read the book so we had to watch the movie and I thought the movie was fantastic. Definitely better than some of the movies nominated for best picture.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
It was certainly an interesting movie. Definitely reinforces the fact that there is a whole other world out there.

• Agree
Reactions: Gordyo5

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
It was an absolute joke nearly all the movies that got nominated for best picture got nominated over Molly's game. Definitely one of my top 5 movies of 2017. Highly recommend.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It was an absolute joke nearly all the movies that got nominated for best picture got nominated over Molly's game. Definitely one of my top 5 movies of 2017. Highly recommend.

It was easily better than...

The Shape of Water (and I love me some Del Toro, but this is actually one of his weaker films of the incredible collective output that he is building)

Call Me By Your Name

Phantom Thread

The Post
(a good film, but Chastain is more fun to watch than Streep)

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (very strong first half, but the last half -- sans Woody -- has some absurd plot points and a lack of consequences)

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
It was easily better than...

The Shape of Water (and I love me some Del Toro, but this is actually one of his weaker films of the incredible collective output that he is building)

Call Me By Your Name

Phantom Thread

The Post
(a good film, but Chastain is more fun to watch than Streep)

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (very strong first half, but the last half -- sans Woody -- has some absurd plot points and a lack of consequences)

Yeah, give me Pan's Labyrinth over The Shape of Water any day of the week. Also, I still don't know what all the fuss is about Three Billboards. That movie was jack full of issues across the board, even though Woody Harrelson was awesome in it. As for The Post, it would make my personal Oscar nominated list, but it would be towards the bottom of it. I haven't seen Call Me By Your Name, Phantom Thread or Lady Bird, but Dunkirk also makes the list of undeserving Oscar nods. Darkest Hour was solid though. Gary Oldman as Best Actor..... hands down. No arguments.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah, give me Pan's Labyrinth over The Shape of Water any day of the week. Also, I still don't know what all the fuss is about Three Billboards. That movie was jack full of issues across the board, even though Woody Harrelson was awesome in it. As for The Post, it would make my personal Oscar nominated list, but it would be towards the bottom of it. I haven't seen Call Me By Your Name, Phantom Thread or Lady Bird, but Dunkirk also makes the list of undeserving Oscar nods. Darkest Hour was solid though. Gary Oldman as Best Actor..... hands down. No arguments.

The Oscars has a bad habit of giving directors and actors their award a little too late. Al Pacino won for Scent of a Woman, not The Godfather - Part 2.

I feel giving Del Toro his for The Shape of Water -- a good film that I enjoyed, visually beautiful and profoundly weird in that way only Del Toro can manage -- instead of Pan's Labriynth will go down in history in a similar vein. It is bound to happen sometimes. Considering what it was up against in 2006 (not a particularly strong year now looking back)...

upload_2018-4-18_10-21-46.png

...while there are some good films there, Pan's Labyrinth has stuck with me way more. Heck, even if they are silly, Hellboy and Pacific Rim are absolutely hoots and have some great effects, and Crimson Peak is delightfully Gothic and creepy.

Oldman was the boss in Darkest Hour. I could have watched him and Lily James and Stephen Dillane and the like riff on each other for hours.

This is one year, to me, where there were two deserving male leads. Daniel Kaluuya deserved it just as much and made my best picture in Get Out what it was. It reminded me of 1960 -- Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia and Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird. Two historical epics with a very human touch where the actor truly inhabited the character and two of the most significant films about race in American history. Which ones do you pick?

Reactions: Triggermv

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Kaluuya's accent coach deserves everything... that guy is 10000% british. Can't even hardly understand him when he speaks in his regular accent.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The Oscars has a bad habit of giving directors and actors their award a little too late. Al Pacino won for Scent of a Woman, not The Godfather - Part 2.

I feel giving Del Toro his for The Shape of Water -- a good film that I enjoyed, visually beautiful and profoundly weird in that way only Del Toro can manage -- instead of Pan's Labriynth will go down in history in a similar vein. It is bound to happen sometimes. Considering what it was up against in 2006 (not a particularly strong year now looking back)...

View attachment 54634

...while there are some good films there, Pan's Labyrinth has stuck with me way more. Heck, even if they are silly, Hellboy and Pacific Rim are absolutely hoots and have some great effects, and Crimson Peak is delightfully Gothic and creepy.

Oldman was the boss in Darkest Hour. I could have watched him and Lily James and Stephen Dillane and the like riff on each other for hours.

This is one year, to me, where there were two deserving male leads. Daniel Kaluuya deserved it just as much and made my best picture in Get Out what it was. It reminded me of 1960 -- Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia and Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird. Two historical epics with a very human touch where the actor truly inhabited the character and two of the most significant films about race in American history. Which ones do you pick?

There is no doubt there are a few things the Oscars are getting right, but overall, its just becoming a joke how much they live in their own pretentious world, and it only gets worse. They have practically zero self-awareness with it too. Anymore, unless you are in the over-acted serious drama category, you pretty much have zero chance of winning an Oscar, much less getting nominated. They have drifted so far in their one direction, that it is hard to believe movies like Gladiator, The Lord of the Rings and Titanic ever won at all, much less get nominated. Shoot, that is only counting the winners, there was many other movies like E.T., Beauty and the Beast, Star Wars, Jaws, and Apollo 13 that were nominated that would likely never get nominated now. That isn't to say they didn't pretentiously snub a ton of movies back then too (Back to the Future, Indiana Jones... etc.), but have only got worse lately. Its no wonder their ratings are diving.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
There is no doubt there are a few things the Oscars are getting right, but overall, its just becoming a joke how much they live in their own pretentious world, and it only gets worse. They have practically zero self-awareness with it too. Anymore, unless you are in the over-acted serious drama category, you pretty much have zero chance of winning an Oscar, much less getting nominated. They have drifted so far in their one direction, that it is hard to believe movies like Gladiator, The Lord of the Rings and Titanic ever won at all, much less get nominated. Shoot, that is only counting the winners, there was many other movies like E.T., Beauty and the Beast, Star Wars, Jaws, and Apollo 13 that were nominated that would likely never get nominated now. That isn't to say they didn't pretentiously snub a ton of movies back then too (Back to the Future, Indiana Jones... etc.), but have only got worse lately. Its no wonder their ratings are diving.

We could do this all day. :)

I will say, though, in defense of the Academy, Chariots of Fire is a great film if you sit down to watch it. Raiders of the Lost Ark was nominated but did not win.

Hard to argue the latter did not have more of a cultural impact, though. Harrison Ford deserved at least a nomination for Indiana Jones.

Perhaps the most iconic character in cinema history and no nomination? Weak.

Herkster

Feb 12, 2016
I have not heard of this flick, and now I'm intrigued. Is this streaming anywhere? Amazon, Hulu, Netflix??

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron