2018 Europe Travel Advice

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
We've traveled to Europe a few times. We use airbnb, takes a little bit but can find some really nice places. The reason we do airbnb is because the ones we choose have a washing machine. This allows us to use 4 sets of cloths, 1 dirty, 1 clean, wear 1, and a spare. This allows us to do all carry-on and no checked luggage. We have some awesome osprey bags for the carry-ons that work on all the airlines and even the value airlines in Europe. If you can do carry-on only, it is soooo much nicer, easier and cheaper.

Front pocket carry with a small wallet so you are not advertising as a pick pocket target. On day trips use a small backpack with lockable zippers. We've never had an issue.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Architect

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I can only comment on the southern Germany part of your trip.

Zugspitze-Do it. We spent a day in Ehrwald Austria, which is right on the German border. Great town to hang out in and then take the lift up to Zugspitze and have a beer.

Neuschwanstein castle-Extremely overrated. You've seen the pictures so you've seen neuschwanstein castle. When people mention Disneyland they should also mention that everything about this is like disneyland. Waiting a 1/2 hour in line to take a bus up a small hill to stand with 10,000 other tourist to take the exact same picture. One of the most disappointing things I've experienced in europe. Yes, it was cool to look at for about 5 minutes but everything else that goes along with it sucks and the castle itself is disappointing inside. If I could do it over I'd go to Berg Eltz castle.

We went a week before octoberfest and loved the beer gardens. Augustiner Keller, Hirschgarten, Seehaus,
Hofbräukeller
and Augustiner Bräustuben were the great ones we visited.

Dachau and the BMW were also two good places to visit. The tower at Olympic garden has some decent views but skip the beer garden there.

I will agree with the other person that mentions spending time in small towns/villages. We spent 4 days in Munich and besides BMW and the Beer Gardens, 2-3 days would have been plenty. I could easily spend a week in places like Rome, London, and Paris but Munich is more just like a normal city that you would visit in America.

Last edited:

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Also,

Buy a cheap nexus, like 5X, or a google cell phone and use google fi for international phone service. Every time we travel I activate google fi (albiet a different phone number each time) and have international service in all of Europe for dirt cheap. Last time we went to Amderstdam and Rome for 10 days, always had 3G or higher service and 4G depending on the areas. Phone calls cost some money but for 2 people, we paid roughly ~$65 for service and data during the trip.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I took a day trip down into Austria from near where you are staying and went hiking. That was a ton of fun. I went up Gaishorn. Another thing is there are some castle ruins in the area (could google search for some im sure) that were very cool to me.
Innsbrook was hands down my favorite place to visit in Europe. Second would have to be Lucerne in Switzerland.

Reactions: The_Architect

skibumspe

Oct 8, 2006
South Korea
I've been to southern Europe (Spain, Italy, etc.) and the Baltic (Copenhagen, Sweden/Norway, Finland, St. Petersburg, etc.) but never the "central" part that seems to be the subject here. I would love to do a Danube tour at some point in the future, though.

You mean Nordic, right? Baltics would be Estonia, Latvia, & Lithuania.

skibumspe

Oct 8, 2006
South Korea
Innsbrook was hands down my favorite place to visit in Europe. Second would have to be Lucerne in Switzerland.

Innsbruk is pretty amazing, definitely a favorite of mine as well. Did you make it to Hallstatt? By far one of the most picturesque places I've ever been.

I actually enjoyed Austria way more than Germany....and I really liked Germany!

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Also,

Buy a cheap nexus, like 5X, or a google cell phone and use google fi for international phone service. Every time we travel I activate google fi (albiet a different phone number each time) and have international service in all of Europe for dirt cheap. Last time we went to Amderstdam and Rome for 10 days, always had 3G or higher service and 4G depending on the areas. Phone calls cost some money but for 2 people, we paid roughly ~$65 for service and data during the trip.

Great info. I have a Pixel XL so I thought I would sign up for Fi and month before we go to France/Netherlands in Sept. For my wife's Iphone I think we're going to go with a sim card from a local Orange store and see how that works. The last time we were in Europe we had Tmobile and it worked perfect and was free. Since then we've made the swtich to Verizon and I'm not paying $10/day per phone.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Great info. I have a Pixel XL so I thought I would sign up for Fi and month before we go to France/Netherlands in Sept. For my wife's Iphone I think we're going to go with a sim card from a local Orange store and see how that works. The last time we were in Europe we had Tmobile and it worked perfect and was free. Since then we've made the swtich to Verizon and I'm not paying $10/day per phone.

If you activate a google fi sim in a compatible phone like your pixel, you can then put that sim in any phone. If you have an unlocked 7 or higher, should work decent, might be missing a few bands but would work depending on your model. If you didnt already know, FI runs off of T-Mobile’s international network.

• Informative
Reactions: dmclone

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Munich area: I would suggest going to Linderhof Castle - it’s smaller but it is finished but you better rent a car. BMW Welt is just a showroom althought it is a cool showroom. If you want to tour the BMW factory, call them in advance - the tour is sold out approx 3 months in advance.

Dachau is not for everyone but I personally suggest to visit so we can learn from history. The background of the rise of the Nazi is eerily similar to what we are seeing now. Dachau was a work camp not a death camp (like Auschwitz, Birkenau, Etc) so it was different.

Daytrip from Seville could include Cordova to see the Mezquite - I think it’s only 1 hr train ride one way. Granada and Alhambra will be good but check the options as about 2 years ago the rail tracks were being repaired and the only way to do it is by riding Alsa bus.

Disclaimer re: Seville: I actually didn’t make the trip eventually - we bought plane and train tickets and then the afternoon before we flew from Barcelona to Granada, we were informed that my Father In Law passed away so we had to go home.

Reactions: ISUCHIEF

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Two recommendations when you're in Munich. First and foremost is visit Dachau, everybody needs to visit one of these camps once in their life as far as I'm concerned.

The other thing I'd check out is Neuschwanstein Castle. It's the one Walt Disney used for inspiration in the design of Sleeping Beauty's castle at Disneyland.
Damn, you took both of my suggestions for that area. But I could not agree more. Especially on Dachau. Neuschwanstein is amazing, but it's just a castle. Dachau is really powerful and they do an excellent job with the museum there

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

octaviouspoon

Jul 25, 2016
2f00cf5ca42525ce12cd62c80cb84959.png

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Watch your pockets, Europeans are pro pick pockets and I know several people that have been ripped off on that Continent.

The only place in Europe that I've ever felt any real need to worry about pickpockets (vs just generally being aware of my surroundings like I would anywhere) is in the main tourist hotspots in Paris. Everywhere else has been no different than any US city of comparable size.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Also,

I'd never thought of that. Beats having to buy a local SIM once you get there.

I wouldn't say anyone would have to buy a cheap phone though. If their phone is unlocked then they could just use their normal phone and toss a new SIM in to it.

L

LincolnWay187

The only place in Europe that I've ever felt any real need to worry about pickpockets (vs just generally being aware of my surroundings like I would anywhere) is in the main tourist hotspots in Paris. Everywhere else has been no different than any US city of comparable size.
It's not about feeling safe or not, the pickpockets in Spain specifically can lift a wallet right out of a tourists pocket like it was air. These are busy/nice areas. They are skilled. Again I know several people who this happened to, a little bump is all it takes. And I'm guessing if you are a tourist you you'll be going to tourist locations lol

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I'd never thought of that. Beats having to buy a local SIM once you get there.

I wouldn't say anyone would have to buy a cheap phone though. If their phone is unlocked then they could just use their normal phone and toss a new SIM in to it.

Thats the bad thing with google FI, in order to activate the sim, it has to be inserted and activated using a google fi enabled phone. Can't just throw the sim into any unlocked phone and go. Its the activating the sim card that causes the issue. I have a 5x that I use to use and only use it for that now days. Or if you know someone with a nexus or pixel device, they can use their phone to activate it too.

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
Two recommendations when you're in Munich. First and foremost is visit Dachau, everybody needs to visit one of these camps once in their life as far as I'm concerned.

The other thing I'd check out is Neuschwanstein Castle. It's the one Walt Disney used for inspiration in the design of Sleeping Beauty's castle at Disneyland.

I have traveled to Munich before and you are spot on with these recommendations! Dachau was an unbelievable experience. It is such a hauntingly beautiful area and the history of makes in all the more interesting!

Reactions: ISUCHIEF

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron