WBB: Kennedy-Hopoate transferring out

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
She win's. That is more than what I can say about the ISU program right now. Losing attendance and not winning.

You obviously don't follow women's basketball. Even our REAL attendance is better than anyone else's in the Big 12. Baylor with all their wins leaves an echo chamber for attendance. This was just Fennelly's 2nd losing season EVER.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
It’s not as big of a difference as men’s basketball. Actually Drake might be a better program than Iowa State right now. Jenny could get it done at Iowa State. I have no doubt on that.

Not so fast. I really admire Jenny for the job she's done. But i don't think anyone on this board can predict her success at a big school. Remember the Drake coach (name ?) that everyone was slobbering over that went to Wisconsin a few years ago and laid an egg? Let's see how she does against TX A&M - that should tell us something.

Jenny is doing well at Drake in what could be the worst D1 league in the country. Yesterday's score illustrated the distance of the shining star of their league and the 6th place team in a solid top heavy conference.

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Jenny is doing well at Drake in what could be the worst D1 league in the country. Yesterday's score illustrated the distance of the shining star of their league and the 6th place team in a solid top heavy conference.
Drake has a tremendous coach. There is not a player on her team that A&M (or ISU or Iowa for that matter) would even think of offering a scholarship to, and yet she beats teams like Iowa and ISU.
She will win big time on the next level. Drake will have to work hard to keep her in the next few weeks.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Drake has a tremendous coach. There is not a player on her team that A&M (or ISU or Iowa for that matter) would even think of offering a scholarship to, and yet she beats teams like Iowa and ISU.
She will win big time on the next level. Drake will have to work hard to keep her in the next few weeks.
She's 3-9 against Iowa and Iowa State, touting a .250 winning percentage isn't a stat I would want to hang my hat on.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
She's 3-9 against Iowa and Iowa State, touting a .250 winning percentage isn't a stat I would want to hang my hat on.

Because coaches at mid-majors are supposed to sport winning records against P5 teams? o_O

I don't think losing this season to Iowa, Texas A&M, Nebraska and Oregon is going to be a death noll to her resume. :rolleyes: Those are all NCAA teams.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Because coaches at mid-majors are supposed to sport winning records against P5 teams? o_O

I don't think losing this season to Iowa, Texas A&M, Nebraska and Oregon is going to be a death noll to her resume. :rolleyes: Those are all NCAA teams.

It would be outstanding if a coach did, if they wanted to take over here. Though after watching a few big timers who did beat bigger schools go down in flames, Matt Bollant for example, I can agree there's more to it than that.

Anyone have a coach in mind just for discussion's sake? I have watched Lexi Donarski's Dad. And think given some time as an assistant on a college team, he might prove to have potential.

Last edited:

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
I have been watching NCAA tourney games a) there are a lot of transfers, even from top teams and revered coaches and b) there are a lot of intense coaching styles on display. I would no longer put Bill in the upper quarter of intense coaches. Some of the comments seem to reflect past more than present style. He has changed his courtside demeanor. In fact, it might help the team if there was more intensity from the bench--getting players excited in a good way. That's perhaps one of the key differences I see with coaches who are rallying their teams. It was fun to see the reactions of seasoned coaches for Buffalo and CMU who beat bigger programs... they just exuded enthusiasm for their teams.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I have been watching NCAA tourney games a) there are a lot of transfers, even from top teams and revered coaches and b) there are a lot of intense coaching styles on display. I would no longer put Bill in the upper quarter of intense coaches. Some of the comments seem to reflect past more than present style. He has changed his courtside demeanor. In fact, it might help the team if there was more intensity from the bench--getting players excited in a good way. That's perhaps one of the key differences I see with coaches who are rallying their teams. It was fun to see the reactions of seasoned coaches for Buffalo and CMU who beat bigger programs... they just exuded enthusiasm for their teams.

I think he changed his courtside public demeanor because he had to after the Jess stuff and AD talk. I don't expect that he has changed his practice demeanor much. People just do not change.

• Agree
Reactions: majorcyfan

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

You can support Fennelly without dissing other coaches. It's not exactly like Fennelly came to ISU after a big start at some other P5 school. We didn't hire him away from Notre Dame or something.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Who knows if she will be successful at P5 level but the folks deriding her are taking the low road. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for her and she ran the table in her league. It won't be at ISU or Iowa but she'll get her shot at a bigger venue, probably sooner than later.

Reactions: gizzsdad

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
For what it's worth and that's not much, the Hawk boards like her as a successor to Frau Bluder.

Bill has done a lot of good at ISU, but lately to me it seems they are riding on past accomplishments. Hopefully this recruiting class pulls things upward.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
For what it's worth and that's not much, the Hawk boards like her as a successor to Frau Bluder.

Bill has done a lot of good at ISU, but lately to me it seems they are riding on past accomplishments. Hopefully this recruiting class pulls things upward.

If you had merged our roster and Iowa's you probably could have had a Sweet Sixteen team this year. Pairing Gustafson and Carleton plus a choice of supporting players would have made a good team. For argument's sake I'll assume that their PG didn't get hurt. Or just adding Gustafson to ours or Carleton to theirs.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ISC

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I think he changed his courtside public demeanor because he had to after the Jess stuff and AD talk. I don't expect that he has changed his practice demeanor much. People just do not change.

BUT - You have NO IDEA how he acts in practice. To say that he just changed his court side demeanor and has not softened otherwise is just uninformed. I have read others on here do go to practices so they are open if you want to go watch and then form an opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: majorcyfan

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
It is ironic how this thread got started complaining about players leaving the team and some wanting a coaching change (blaming all the transfers on the coach) yet there is a new thread today about the men's team and some players testing the draft and posters saying this is great. The men leaving are fine but the women in sport many don't even follow is terrible.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
It is ironic how this thread got started complaining about players leaving the team and some wanting a coaching change (blaming all the transfers on the coach) yet there is a new thread today about the men's team and some players testing the draft and posters saying this is great. The men leaving are fine but the women in sport many don't even follow is terrible.

Not totally the same. It appears with the men's program it is playing time and NBA talk. Speculation I know, but the women's program it's partially about playing time and CBF's treatment of his players.

tomvet

Aug 30, 2014
Who knows if she will be successful at P5 level but the folks deriding her are taking the low road. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for her and she ran the table in her league. It won't be at ISU or Iowa but she'll get her shot at a bigger venue, probably sooner than later.

My comments are only directed to the Drake program, not to diss any other program. We have very good friends whose granddaughter plays for Drake. She absolutely loves the coach, Jenny is a players coach, understands this culture of female athletes. ALL the girls get to play significant minutes, all the girls seem to be happy players. We have attended several games, and are considering buying season tickets next year to Drake (we have been ISU season ticket holders for several years). Drake games are very exciting to watch, lots of movement, lots of passing, back door plays, etc.. Drake led the nation in assists as of a few games ago. Her 42-0 run through the MVC the last 2 years is very impressive, no matter what conference you are in. I thought they made a very nice showing against TAM in the tournament even though they were outmanned (TAM had the top freshmen in the nation at point guard plus a 6'5" center). Jenny is masterful at getting the most out of her girls. Obviously if she moves up to a P5 she will have more opportunity to recruit top athletes who are looking to play big time ball. As far as whether she can coach in the P5's, I think we will soon find out. She is not going to last long at Drake.