A question about attendance/capacity

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Since we have somewhere around 46,000 actual seats, is that the # required for a "sellout"? I mean, we get over capacity crowds on a regular basis, and most of our games anymore have butts in all the seats, but yet Hawk fans like to say that if we're under 55,000 (a # only reached in recent years) it isn't a real sellout. It seems to me that filling up all the seats is a logical sellout, because, we could hypothetically keep allowing bodies into the gates and have an unlimited capacity. I know this is kind of pointless, but I'm just curious. In my opinion, Jack was sold out last Thursday.

CyFan987

Jan 8, 2008
Waco, TX
Good question. Never really thought about it. But I agree that a sell out now a days is probably 55,000 or more.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I think the previous 46k number was a bit misleading, since that didn't count the hillsides, which we do count in the attendance numbers.

even with 47k+ that we had last week, we still had plenty of empty seats (though they may have been sold).

I don't have a problem with 55k being a sell-out. That's about as much as JTS can fit, and so, to me, that's a sell-out.

I don't like playing the hawkeye game with our sellout numbers. It's a pretty meaningless statistic, I think, since teams do all sorts of crazy things to sell out (i.e. Nebraska essentially giving away tickets).

The bottom line is revenue for the program. Whatever generates the most of that is what really matters.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
To me it's a non-issue. We have 10K +/- in standing room only "seats" which aren't really "seats" but are available for sale. So the antagonist will say we have never really sold out a game, even though we averaged more fans than we have seats last year.

So you can make it whatever you want. The key is just be there

CyFan987

Jan 8, 2008
Waco, TX
To me it's a non-issue. We have 10K +/- in standing room only "seats" which aren't really "seats" but are available for sale. So the antagonist will say we have never really sold out a game, even though we averaged more fans than we have seats last year.

Agreed and I will be there every game!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I can handle that...

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I think if the sell out all the physical seats then its a true sell out. We get an additional 10,000 seats with the Hills so that number helps recruiting and selling the stadium etc.. Its easy to sell expanding the stadium when you have people sitting on hills though. Your not asking for more people to come to the game really. Your just making them sit in a physical seat and possibly not allowing the north hills.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
JTS had 46,500 permanent seats before the west side expansion. JP said tonight that 2,000 seats were lost from the construction, I've heard 2,200 specifically. That would put permanent seating around 44,000. JP said that we can top out at 53,000, but 54,000 seems possible.

JP also said that there would be around 55,000 permanent seats when the south endzone is done which would put around 60,000 total. This is if we do the full double deck south endzone.

CyFan987

Jan 8, 2008
Waco, TX
JTS had 46,500 permanent seats before the west side expansion. JP said tonight that 2,000 seats were lost from the construction, I've heard 2,200 specifically. That would put permanent seating around 44,000. JP said that we can top out at 53,000, but 54,000 seems possible.

JP also said that there would be around 55,000 permanent seats when the south endzone is done which would put around 60,000 total. This is if we do the full double deck south endzone.
The south endzone will only hold 5,000 even with two levels?

Help Support Us

Become a patron