Lotion recommendation

SDCyclonesFamily

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 21, 2016
If your hands or feet are in really rough shape, surgeon skin is very effective (kind of spendy but worth it). Use it at night before you go to bed. I also use Olay Ultra Moisture In-Shower Body lotion to help cut down on dry, itchy skin.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
My spouse is diabetic and can get very dry skin. Limiting caffeine and drinking lots of water helps the most

Yeah, but where is the fun in that?

I have a similar problem OP, so I know your pain. I think I bought Vaseline for men something or other, helps a lot when it gets bad.

Reactions: HGoat

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Not a lotion but think about your diet, too. I used to have dry skin and often chapped lips and neither are a problem now.

I shower a lot also and work in in a tough environment of cold dry air and hands always in chlorinated sanitizer. I had a a nutritionist tell me dry skin can in-part be eased by eating a lot of sources of monounsaturated oils like avocados, walnuts, olive oil and fish*. Also, and it may be very important, take a high quality multi-vitamin**.

Avoid sugars and refined carbos and try high quality whole grains (they may contain more Vitamin E). Look on line for reliable articles on dry skin and foods.

*Fish like sardines, salmon and pickled Herring if you like.
**Check out ratings of vitamins. And maybe add CoQ10, Fish Oil and Vitamin D3 on top of the multi.

This appears to have worked for me. Something you might consider.

Last edited:

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Nothing like a little Crack Creme.

41515CEZMTL.jpg

Reactions: khardbored

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I know this probably won't get many serious responses, but I thought I would give it a try. Hard to wade through all of the online advertising to find legitimate reviews, so I thought I'd ask my friends at CF.

I work in a Bio/pharmeceutical research environment where I often have to shower 5-6 times a day. It has been really hard on my skin this winter. I've been having a hard time finding a good lotion that can both keep my skin from getting dry under this punishment, while also not leave behind a greasy oil film after it is applied.

What works for you?

Clinique body butter. Beat stuff in the biz for winter skin.

Tokyo Milk makes some really nice light hand lotion too.

Reactions: Angie

AngusClone

Sep 3, 2011
Central Iowa
No-crack Super hand cream from Duluth Trading for my hands. Aveeno creamy moisturizing oil for arms and legs. Has worked well for over 2 winters. Farm/mechanic so I'm in and out of of the cold and wash my hands offen with degreasing soap.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Not a lotion but think about your diet, too. I used to have dry skin and often chapped lips and neither are a problem now.

I shower a lot also and work in in a tough environment of cold dry air and hands always in chlorinated sanitizer. I had a a nutritionist tell me dry skin can in-part be eased by eating a lot of sources of monounsaturated oils like avocados, walnuts, olive oil and fish*. Also, and it may be very important, take a high quality multi-vitamin**.

Avoid sugars and refined carbos and try high quality whole grains (they may contain more Vitamin E). Look on line for reliable articles on dry skin and foods.

*Fish like sardines, salmon and pickled Herring if you like.
**Check out ratings of vitamins. And maybe add CoQ10, Fish Oil and Vitamin D3 on top of the multi.

This appears to have worked for me. Something you might consider.
This is an excellent reply, since your diet can make your skin less vulnerable to dryness. Fish is especially important. For those of us without a chef at home, a very good supplement that includes fish oil is one of the Triple Omega supplements. To protect against "fish burps", and to release the oil directly in the digestive tract where it is most effective, I recommend an enteric coating such as is provided by this product from 21st Century:
Triple Omega Complex 3-6-9 - 90 Enteric Coated Softgels

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
BAG BALM
"This is the best stuff, and I have tried everything for dry, chapped skin and nothing worked...until I bought Bag Balm. I would highly recommend this product. It works wonders."
- M. Hunter

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
O'keeffe's working hand cream. I work outside so my hands get pretty nasty in the winter but this stuff has been working wonders for me.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
The CervVe cream is very good but as someone with chronic hand eczema, Mustela Stelatopia is the best stuff I've ever used. Just read the amazon reviews.

Amazon product

CprE84

Mar 31, 2006
Austin, TX
I have had eczema / sensitive & dry skin my whole life. Curel has really helped for me and I had tried many different options before settling on it years ago.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
CeraVe and Eucerin both seem superior to usual off-the-shelf for me. Dry hands are my issue.

I know a lot of people like the "udderly smooth udder cream", which is somewhat hilarious to type but you've probably seen at stores.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
O'Keefe's for working hands is good stuff.

For hands, O'Keffe's is my go to and do not use body moisturizers. I have stopped using any bar soaps and go with liquid pumps in the shower filled with quality plant-based vegetable oils soap.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
CeraVe and Eucerin both seem superior to usual off-the-shelf for me. Dry hands are my issue.

I know a lot of people like the "udderly smooth udder cream", which is somewhat hilarious to type but you've probably seen at stores.

CeraVe was developed by a Mayo Clinic associated Dermatologist, I believe.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron