Iowa State has waved the white flag, we've conceded.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
[Q UOTE="JM4CY, post: 6053461, member: 15045"]Kansas at a #1 will just end up embarrassing us and ruining all the "Big 12 is so strong" media narrative.[/QUOTE]

After KU's opening round 3/14 match up, they'll struggle to win in the second round.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I'll probably get shot down for this, but how is OU a lock for the big dance? I mean, they are trending in the wrong direction. Last 4 conference games are at KU and at Baylor, KState, and us. If they go 1-3, they would finish conference at 7-11 and 17-13 at that time.

Oklahoma has played 6 games total against teams ranked outside the Top 100 in RPI. They have 5 Top 25 RPI wins and 7 Top 50 RPI wins. Thats why they are probably in.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't know if I ever remember a basketball season as injury riddled as this one.

One injury can make or break things. Wasn't Notre Dame supposed to be a good team? They lost their stud...I'm watching them now and it looks like they're fighting for an NIT spot record wise.

It was a perfect storm for a bad season--young, inexperienced; even the experienced players had limited time, a short bench to start with and then injuries that disallowed any chance of continuity.

The team kept things interesting really until about the past week which is not always the case.

• Agree
Reactions: besserheimerphat
D

Deleted member 8507

I'll probably get shot down for this, but how is OU a lock for the big dance? I mean, they are trending in the wrong direction. Last 4 conference games are at KU and at Baylor, KState, and us. If they go 1-3, they would finish conference at 7-11 and 17-13 at that time.
Besides the story of Trae Young on the team, they need one win total probably to make the field. At 17-13 they are still essentially a top 50 team (and they have a 97% chance of 17-13 or better).

upload_2018-2-19_18-58-51.png

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Garbage thread title. Nice work there.
I never worry about ISU losing in March Madness, anyway. Everyone but one loses, so you just have fun with the trip while it lasts.

It's a rarity for ISU to even be in the tournament by the 2nd weekend, and March Madness was still enjoyable after they got beat, although in 2015 it took me a couple of days before I wanted to watch after the sh*t show ISU put out there to open up the tourney.

But the tourney will be fun this year still. Lots of good teams out there.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
According to RPI Forecast, they will play 10 teams out of top 100, ISU will only play 8. Of course, OU is expected to be 10-10 while we go 7-15 in those top 100 games.
http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Oklahoma.html

Yeah, pretty good chance ISU and OSU drop out of the Top 100 RPI.

Remember though, most people doing Bracketology are doing it as if the selection were today. They aren't projecting things. I doubt OU loses out, but if they only win 1 more game, they will be squarely on the bubble.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
[Q UOTE="JM4CY, post: 6053461, member: 15045"]Kansas at a #1 will just end up embarrassing us and ruining all the "Big 12 is so strong" media narrative.

After KU's opening round 3/14 match up, they'll struggle to win in the second round.[/QUOTE]

I saw someone yesterday had KU at a 1.

Please let this happen so they can be the first 1 to go down.

D

Deleted member 8507

Yeah, pretty good chance ISU and OSU drop out of the Top 100 RPI.

Remember though, most people doing Bracketology are doing it as if the selection were today. They aren't projecting things. I doubt OU loses out, but if they only win 1 more game, they will be squarely on the bubble.
I agree, OU at 17-13 is RPI 51 which is balancing on the bubble. By comparison, we had to get to 18-12 to have an RPI of 48 and be on the bubble (which if we could have I think the wins we did get would have put us in at a 10-11 seed).

BeneventiCy28

Feb 9, 2015
Granger
On a positive note, I'm going to be glad for what this team accomplished in its down year.

- Couple big wins over highly ranked teams
- Won the Puerto Rico Tournament
- Beat a bad UNI team (hey, they've given us fits)
- Beat a terrible Iowa team (bragging rights are bragging rights)

Too bad we couldn't have finished off Kansas at the Phog.
I take great pride in the fact that we knocked off both Baylor and West Virginia, the two teams to throw fits in our undefeated home record the past 2 or 3 years. Gotta find positives in a season like this and reload for next year.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I don't know if I ever remember a basketball season as injury riddled as this one.

It will take someone older than me to confirm that I believe there was a season under coach Lyn Nance where injuries were huge (although Lyn Nance's teams were never very competitive).

I also think one of Johnny Orr's early teams were saddled with injuries, particularly Ron Falenschek. Once again, a team that wasn't expected to go very far.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Oklahoma has played 6 games total against teams ranked outside the Top 100 in RPI. They have 5 Top 25 RPI wins and 7 Top 50 RPI wins. That's why they are probably in.

Exactly. OU isn’t close to bubble danger (yet). But: Best not to fade much further, otherwise it gets interesting.

By most bracketing calculations, OU was still in 7 seed range, despite the 16-11 record — might be clinging to that after the blowout loss at KU (although if you value eye-test, that loss was not a good look…)

As mentioned in this thread, seven wins vs. RPI top 50, so quality is there (RPI isn’t the only consideration for committee, I’m keeping it simplified for basic discussion).
Prior to KU game, RPI rank 35, SOS 18. Teams responsible for nine of Oklahoma’s 11 losses would be tournament locks or on the bubble if Selection Sunday were today: KU, Tech, Arkansas, West Virginia, Alabama, Texas, Kansas State.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Scotty did struggle with mono, however. If that counts.
That was the year prior IIRC.

I will point out that Fred's first team never really had any injury problems that I remember.
It had DeMarcus Phillips leave the team, leaving the bench as Godfrey and a walkon in Bubu.

It started off with depth problems worse than this year even before injuries or suspensions. Godfrey, JVB, and Ejim all missed various games, and guys had nagging injuries like they do every year. It got so bad that Fred had to add walkons from the football team.

Before the year some couldn’t handle the thought that that year was better constructed and as talented, if not more so. Now the narrative is how much better that team had it with 6 scholarship players in the rotation, including two freshmen and only guy with starting experience at Iowa St.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: rochclone

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
It will still be a bit rough at the beginning of the year next year. I would tap the breaks a bit.

I Agree all this over heated hype for next year just puts more pressure on Wigginton and Lard, just see what happens and enjoy it for what its worth...I remember Marcus Fizer's 2nd year as not so great, but his junior year was greater than great because we got a legit Point Guard in Jamaal Tinsley.......

Reactions: Cyclonepride

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The BIg XII doesn't have any great teams. They are all just pretty good. If you were ranking by this season's work only Tx Tech has the better resume but not the KU $$$, oops I mean history.

I agree with Pretty Good....which is not going to cut it in the big dance, it will be a very early exit for the Big XII this year...

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That was the year prior IIRC.

It had DeMarcus Phillips leave the team, leaving the bench as Godfrey and a walkon in Bubu.

It started off with depth problems worse than this year even before injuries or suspensions. Godfrey, JVB, and Ejim all missed various games, and guys had nagging injuries like they do every year. It got so bad that Fred had to add walkons from the football team.

Before the year some couldn’t handle the thought that that year was better constructed and as talented, if not more so. Now the narrative is how much better that team had it with 6 scholarship players in the rotation, including two freshmen and only guy with starting experience at Iowa St.

upload_2018-2-20_8-37-2.png

There was very little fluctuation in our starting lineup that year. There a few dings and suspensions, yes, as there is with any team in any season, but I do not remember any starters or rotation guys having to shut it down for a few weeks like we have had this year with Weiler-Babb, Talley, Brase, and now Solomon. Phillips was just a bust, and I liked Godfrey as an energy guy off the bench that season, and Bubu turned into a decent college player.

Their main five were mostly available (31/32) and in playing shape.

That has not been the case this year entirely.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride