Graham Couch: Iowa Basketball is a mid-major roster

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Wow, Garza has a PER almost 10 points higher than Niang did as a freshman and about 3 points higher than his best season.
Garza is efficiently bad. A true sign of a limited player and roster. They don’t do the wrong thing, they just can’t do the things needed to win.

So much losing with Iowa’s efficiency numbers, which has been consistent for Fran, is a red flag.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Do you feel like Wigginton has hit a freshman wall of sorts. He seems to be struggling of late. I only watched those eight minutes, but he was terrible in that time. Maybe too small a sample size I know, but it seems like he has regressed some from his early season form.

Wall: in shambles

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Jackson is at 44.2% (42/95) in conference.

Wigginton is at 42.6% (29/68) in conference. The emergence of Wigginton as a legitimate outside shooter -- higher than Naz as a senior! -- has been amazing.

Seriously. Naz was 41.8% (59/141) his last campaign in the Big 12.

I hope we can somewhat replace Jackson by committee...

-- keep Wigginton
-- Shayok is a career 37.4% and hopefully worked on his shot
-- hopefully Lewis figures something out
-- hopefully a healthy NWB takes about a million shots this summer
-- same for Jacobson incoming and Jakolby Long
-- hopefully THT has a viable outside shot

I know having that one knock-down guy is invaluable, but simply having more decent options hopefully balances with have two good ones then nothing.

I think it will help when our 4th and 5th best shooters aren't hitting sub-20%. We'll lose our top shooter, but I think our 3rd, 4th and 5th best shooters will be better and we'll have more viable threats on the floor at all times.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Do you feel like Wigginton has hit a freshman wall of sorts. He seems to be struggling of late. I only watched those eight minutes, but he was terrible in that time. Maybe too small a sample size I know, but it seems like he has regressed some from his early season form.
I saw two possessions of Iowa and JBo recently. He only got beat once and only had one TO in that time. It makes me think he has progressed, but potentially it’s too small of sample.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I mentioned this the last time you posted this and will mention again... this is a list of home venues sorted by win% over the history of that venue. There is no metric here.

Do you honestly think that history can’t weight this list to inaccurately reflect current home court advantage?

Should we compare home court records over the last decade?

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Donovan is the teams leading scorer, the #11 scorer in the league, best FT shooter in the league, top 10 in 3pt % and has more 20+ point games than everyone not named Trae Young. Seems like he's giving us quite a bit and thats with only one other guy teams respect at all on the perimeter. I think we'll miss him more than people think. His production won't be impossible to replace but it'll be tough to replace his presence. The attention he draws gets everyone better shots.

Next year there will be an obvious upgrade in talent but no one coming is in his league when it comes to shooting. The good news is, there will be 2 or 3 guys vying to fill his role, this season, if he isn't hitting, the 3 ball isn't much a factor, it'll be nice to spread that out in case someone is having an off night.

He is one dimensional, the vast majority of his drives are defacto turnovers, and his defense is bad. Height probably has most to do with this and can't be overcome at this point. That being said he is a great shooter when on and is money at the free throw line. I think on balance we will be better at his position next year, but I wouldn't expect the same sort of offensive production.

• Dislike
Reactions: cyclones360

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron