Game report card

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
I would have to say last years team gets a D+ maybe C-, for various reasons mainly even though it was a new coach and system they had too much talent to not do better. After watching the game last night i would have to say, B to B+, but i dont really want to grade them until after Kent State since that will be a better gauge for sure.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
B

I think we gave a great effort. A lot of the mistakes I think were from players being too jacked up for the first game of the year. The next 10 days they will correct the silly mistakes and I hope for another great effort against Kent State.

ISU was in control for the whole game and lack of execution was their own fault, not from the other team. I was excited to see a win, to see our offense move the ball and for our D to make big plays.

A lot can be improved but I'm not too worried. I was glad to see the team not come out flat, to be excited and to play hard!

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
C+

Kicking game looked better.

Lots of nice looking freshmen.

Turning the ball over and failure to move the ball was pretty dead on to years past.

All in all it was a fun night and we got a great win. Personally Im not too concerned one way or another after beating a 1-AA team. We will know after the Iowa and UNLV games.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Offense: B: 2 turnovers, would have liked to see the line control the game better and running game did not look great

Defense: C+: 5 ints good, 5 yards per carry BAD. Also middle coverage in passing game looked shaky.

Special Teams: A-: Perfect Kicking! Kick coverage let the returner run around a little much, it did not end up as a lot of yardage but still looked dangerous. Also, fumble on punt return.

Overall: B: Very solid performance, TO's and small D adjustments to improve one. Offense moved the ball everytime they had it!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think we will see ISU show more patience with Kent - I still believe we will win by 12

12 touchdowns? C'mon! Sure, Kent State will be better than SDSU, but we'll be better than ourselves as well. Just not shooting ourselves in the foot means at least two more touchdowns. And you better believe this staff will be working on all the little things they see on film. And they have a couple of extra days for that, too.

My grade for UNI last year would have been a D-, but considering it was a brand new staff, actually a C. About what you could expect. And I'll grade on a curve (always have fully appreciated curves).

For this game, I'd call it a B. Maybe a B+ for flashing potential, but they still have a long way to go.

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
I'll be honest, Kent State scares the crap out of me. This will be a much better game for seeing how much the team has improved. If we win by two touchdowns or more I'll be impressed. I think we can do it, but we need to clean up some of the sloppiness from the SDSU game.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
QB play: B+; They weren't asked to do a lot but played well. Bates fumble keeps them away from A

RB play: C+; Perhaps this is the O-lines fault but I was less than impressed with how ARob ran the ball. Great to see Harris hit the hole running

WR/TE play: B; Great catch by Franklin and Sed. Sed ran a bad out route and that is why the pass was wide. Also stopped on a route but can't complain about it being his first game

OL: C; Good pass protection, but bad run blocking. Need to be able to dominate lesser teams

DL: B-; 2 INT's should be an A but they didn't dominate the run and didn't get pressure unless LB's blitzed

LB: B; Couple INT's and a TD. Got to the QB. At times a step behind but that is to be expected

DB's: B; Big hitters! Covered well on the sidelines but got beat to the inside at times. Missed some tackles

ST: B; Mahoney gets an A. Looked confident. But Mcdowell fumbled and picked up a ball that was going out of bounds. That is automatically at the 40 now. I know he returned it a ways but it was stupid

Overall Grade: B-

This was the worst team we have played in years. It was a great win, especially for a young team. A lot to be excited about since we can clean up a lot of mistakes

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'd give the team a B. They blew out a decent FCS team, but showed plenty of room for improvement. Beating them with a steady push like they did makes it pretty apparent that it wasn't just a fluke surge that put us over the top.

At the same time, we need to work on in-game tackling. I'm pretty sure that a Chizik defense will get that worked out. We need to work on ball control, and eliminating fumbles. We finished well on that towards the end last year, so I think that'll improve.

We didn't do a ton of deep passes, but we didn't need to while we worked the short field. I think we'll see that, because we saw them use Arnaud's arm for that last year.

We didn't see our O-Line dominate like we hoped, but they know that Chizik will emphasize this, and our line looked better at the end of last year. I think we'll see that improve.

We did see a team that came ready to play, to hit, and take it to somebody. We saw a team that didn't have any let-up in them, until the game was way out of hand.

In the post-game, we heard several players happy about the win, but each noting different ways that they personally should have been better. I like to think that these guys are already looking to improve themselves, and that they have the coaching staff to do it.

So, I give a B, and can't wait to see where it goes from here:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
ST: B; Mahoney gets an A. Looked confident. But Mcdowell fumbled and picked up a ball that was going out of bounds. That is automatically at the 40 now. I know he returned it a ways but it was stupid

On replay the ball looked like it might roll dead before going out of bounds. Judgement call that must be made quickly, he made it--and still had a long return. I can't call a snap call "stupid".

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
kicking : A+ Can't mess with perfection.

Agree if you limit it just to place kicking. In terms of the entire kicking game, there is plenty of room for improvement on kick offs and we didn't get to see how the punting game looks this year.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
On replay the ball looked like it might roll dead before going out of bounds. Judgement call that must be made quickly, he made it--and still had a long return. I can't call a snap call "stupid".

There was no question it was rolling out of bounds. My seats are right there and it would have rolled 5 feet out of bounds.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
QB play: B+; They weren't asked to do a lot but played well. Bates fumble keeps them away from A

RB play: C+; Perhaps this is the O-lines fault but I was less than impressed with how ARob ran the ball. Great to see Harris hit the hole running

WR/TE play: B; Great catch by Franklin and Sed. Sed ran a bad out route and that is why the pass was wide. Also stopped on a route but can't complain about it being his first game

OL: C; Good pass protection, but bad run blocking. Need to be able to dominate lesser teams

DL: B-; 2 INT's should be an A but they didn't dominate the run and didn't get pressure unless LB's blitzed

LB: B; Couple INT's and a TD. Got to the QB. At times a step behind but that is to be expected

DB's: B; Big hitters! Covered well on the sidelines but got beat to the inside at times. Missed some tackles

Overall Grade: B-

This was the worst team we have played in years. It was a great win, especially for a young team. A lot to be excited about since we can clean up a lot of mistakes

I pretty much agree with these. There was a lot to like -- mainly the big win -- but some areas of concern. That first half won't win many games in the Big 12 with 3 turnovers in 16 minutes. Many of the issues (penalties, some turnovers) are correctable. Very pleased with AA's poise in his first start.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron