Total plays: 62 for SDSU, 61 for ISU..less football

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
and that is a bad thing.

I think I am going to really hate the rule change regarding the clock by the end of the year.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
What was an average for total plays for a team in years' past?

Also, what did you think of the game if you saw it?

I'd give the overall grade a B-. Defense looked great...but again, it's SDSU...but on the other hand, I thought we we have a tougher game than it turned out to be.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I posted in the post game thread, I think its on page three.

I think you are looking at at least 130, 135 plays per game between two teams.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
I completely agree, Jon. Didn't ISU run around 100 plays against Nebraska? I'm not for extending games pointlessly, but I certainly don't want to speed it up pointlessly either.
No way we ran 100 plays. I thought the game flowed a lot better, kept the action moving, and only sacrificed about 10ish plays.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
No way we ran 100 plays. I thought the game flowed a lot better, kept the action moving, and only sacrificed about 10ish plays.
actually 100 isnt that far off. if it was not 100 it was 90+. i will look for the stat

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
I forgot about the clock change. Halfway through the 4th I mentioned the game seemed to have gone faster than normal and no one told me I was dumb.

54cy

Oct 26, 2007
Ankeny
Jon, when considering the total number of plays run for the game, please keep in mind that ISTATE ran the ball 40+ times and was efficient in the pass game. Same w/ SDSU. Heavy on the run and not many incomplete passes. I was at the game and when the refs set the ball, the play clock was consistantly at 25-27 seconds remaining. Moreover, ISU ran the clock down almost all the time with their check with me no huddle. You may change your mind when you see more passing.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
The game is going to be much different this season in college football with the new clock change. I'm not a fan.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
and that is a bad thing.

I think I am going to really hate the rule change regarding the clock by the end of the year.

Amen!

I always hate these rule changes that are designed to speed up the game. I love football! Why shorten it? These NCAA execs need to quit trying to squeeze an extra few minutes of advertising revenue out, and just let college football play the way it is supposed to.

More football would be better! Not less.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Plus ISU was not in any hurry, they ran the clock down on almost every play calling audibles. I think GC knew that if they wanted to score 60+ points and embarass SDSU they could. He took the conversative route and ran the ball and ate up the clock.

I would guarentee that there are a lot more plays next week.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Amen!

I always hate these rule changes that are designed to speed up the game. I love football! Why shorten it? These NCAA execs need to quit trying to squeeze an extra few minutes of advertising revenue out, and just let college football play the way it is supposed to.

More football would be better! Not less.

If it ain't broken, why fix it? That's what they need to learn.

clintr

Nov 12, 2007
Ames, IA
If you wanna speed up the game, then get rid of the TV timeouts... but we all know there is no way that is ever going to happen.